W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think we're trying. We have aid groups all around the world where they're needed. Unfortunately they are often hindered by regional forces or overwhelmed by the sheer needs.

It should be noted as well that charitable giving has reached record highs in the past two years.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It's not so much being rich but how you get rich that matters ......can't really see how you can make million without making a sucker out of someone

What you do with the money matters a lot. In the developed world becoming a millionaire shouldn't be that difficult, and, a million dollars isn't really that much money today either. Many middle class earners spend many thousands of dollars pretending they are rich whereas if they had invested that money they might actually become rich. Of course the caveat is that someone has to be spending exorbitant amounts of money foolishly for others to become rich. So your point about 'suckers' has some validity. However those who spend their money hardly are being suckered but are likely victims of the mob mentality, mass marketing, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 3, 2015
Greece
✟15,386.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I would argue that the process involved in becoming rich can be sinful as it requires a lot of focus on earthly things, financial manoeuvring (loans, interest etc) and other activities which have human fingerprints over them rather than God's. Having only recently been blessed with insight from God regarding my life I've come to realise that money nor striving for it has ever made me happy but anxious and miserable. When Christ said it was easier for a rich man to enter through the eye of a needle than enter Heaven I believe he was talking about all the pitfalls being wealthy can bring. A lust for material possessions, a focus on consolidation rather than selflessness and ultimately a life dedicated to what the preacher in Ecclesiastes would call "meaningless.". That said, if you are fortunate to prosper and give thanks to the God who provided you with such riches then there's no reason you should preoccupy yourself with sin.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It's not so much being rich but how you get rich that matters ......can't really see how you can make million without making a sucker out of someone
Consider the richest people in the world; who did they make a sucker out of in order to get rich? With capitalism, in most cases you have to improve someone elses life before you can improve your own.

Reactions: Zhivko
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Rich made 'suckers' out of everyone, except the poor who see right through them. The oppression, well, that is worse every day, everywhere.

"woe to the rich" They have had their comfort.

Woe is a very strong curse in the original.

Also as written:

According To Luke: The First Woe
When Jesus says woe to the rich, the rich should have their hearts penetrated to the core. They should cry, weep, and be sorrowful for how they have used their resources in such a irresponsible way. It is almost like Jesus is saying that He has given the rich chance after chance and they simply blew it.

1 Timothy 6:9 NIV - Those who want to get rich fall into - Bible Gateway

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Timothy+6%3A9&version=NIV

Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.

Upvote 0

Holoman

Credo
Jun 29, 2015
UK
✟18,043.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm quite interested in this topic and have given it a lot of thought because I think this is something that affects me most. For all my younger life, all I wanted was to be rich. When people asked me what job I wanted to do, I said whatever pays the best.

After some thought, I think what I wanted (and probably still do) is two things: safety and pride. I wanted to feel safe in the world and that I wasn't reliant on anyone, and I also wanted things that other people didn't have.

Both of these, I think, are quite serious sins. Wanting to be better than other people is probably the easiest one I've addressed, as I try not to buy luxury items but wanting that safety net is the most difficult for me. It almost feels impossible.

A lot of horrible things have happened to me in my life, and while money hasn't really helped, it has stopped me worrying about it. I have real serious issues with anxiety and depression, and the thought of giving away all my money seems just too difficult. Yet I know in my heart that I need to be willing to give it all away if I'm called to do it. I have promised to do that in the past, but when I'm feeling particularly vulnerable who knows if I could ever go through with it. I need to trust in God, not money to provide for me. But after experiencing all the horrible things he's puts me through it's tough.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Both of these, I think, are quite serious sins
Yes. Any sin is.
the most difficult for me. It almost feels impossible.
It is impossible. as Jesus Says, impossible for men, possibe with God. Trust God, not men.
A lot of horrible things have happened to me in my life, and while money hasn't really helped, it has stopped me worrying about it.
Sorry to hear that.
I have real serious issues with anxiety and depression, and the thought of giving away all my money seems just too difficult.
Its like being a chauffeur for someone rich. IF you think the car is yours, and drive off with it, or do not what the owner says, you get arrested or in trouble usually.
Do what the owner (in this case God) Says. Literally sign over the title to Him. Sign over your life and everything in it, thoughts, dreams, hopes, values, imaginations, work, family, possessions,
sign it ALL over to Him, being willing for HIM to do as HE pleases.
As HE says, this is the only way , the first step to being a disciple.
Yet I know in my heart that I need to be willing to give it all away if I'm called to do it.
Everyone is told they must, as in "TODAY , if you hear HIS voice, do not rebel as they did in the wilderness and perished....."
"Sign it over" willingly to HIM. Do not act presumptuously as if that would please HM, but as Corrie ten Boom illustrated , hold as it were everything in the outstretched upturned palm of your hand, easy to receive, easy to give, as GOD DIRECTS.

I need to trust in God, not money to provide for me. But after experiencing all the horrible things he's puts me through it's tough.
Choose today who to serve, God or money or other. As for me and my house, we will always serve the Lord Almighty God, forever, with no thought of looking to the right or to the left - eyes fixed on Him!

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have read Rabbi Lapin's book. I think it's important to grasp the Jewish perspective on money and giving to view his comments in the right context. For many, wealth is an avenue to provide for loved ones, support worthy causes, and create legacies for those who follow.

Giving is a central precept that includes tzedakah (small monetary excesses we set aside each week), goods (for those in need), mitzvot (often referenced as good deeds), service, and tikkun olam (which many see as benevolent acts that aid greater society).

Capacity is the measurement that most apply in this area. Thus, the individual whose synagogue fees are not a burden will often give more to make up for those who are unable to meet the standard. You see it in the flowers that adorn many synagogues. And in the weekly meals we enjoy. The feast is paid for by the bar and bat mitzvah's family. The idea is that we're bettered when everyone pays their share.

Rabbi Lapin isn't espousing greed or wastefulness. He's addressing the responsibilities of wealth and the necessity of sharing with others. I view this from two perspectives because of my experiences with Judaism and insistence on good stewardship. Whatever the Lord entrusts me with I must give an account for its use. But in the same way, I cannot excuse others from the same and fund unprofitable ventures because the other person believes in God.

For me, that includes pursuing my calling with dignity and grace and being a trustworthy servant in my business dealings. It means planning for its continuance through wise employment and godly management. It includes purposeful giving to loved ones in the capacity they are best able to manage. It means providing for my daughter and future descendants to enable them to pursue their vocation without financial encumbrances. It means charity through a foundation that supports noble works with input on its distribution and requirements.

I don't believe in writing checks like Santa Claus. Sound management is a must. If you've been given the grace to acquire wealth it's best to seek the Lord's direction on its dispense. In the same way, it's equally important to recognize how you've benefited from the generosity of others.

I hold firm to the principles found in Deuteronomy 28. I am the head and not the tail. I am the lender and not the borrower. I will not be beholden to a bank, dealership, credit card company, or to another for my sustenance. Money is a tool but for many it's become a yoke. I won't join their bondage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Depends how rich you want to be. I see nothing wrong with wanting to be rich enough to live comfortably and provide for your progeny, but when your net worth hits ten digits you’re just hoarding wealth like a dragon sitting atop a pile of gold.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Depends how rich you want to be. I see nothing wrong with wanting to be rich enough to live comfortably and provide for your progeny, but when your net worth hits ten digits you’re just hoarding wealth like a dragon sitting atop a pile of gold.

Really? God calls people to different walks of life. And mine is a multi-billion dollar industry. Wealth is not the issue. It's the heart that holds the wealth.

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Really? God calls people to different walks of life. And mine is a multi-billion dollar industry. Wealth is not the issue. It's the heart that holds the wealth.
The heart is certainly a source of many types of wealth. There are plenty of multi-billion dollar industries that do a lot of good in the world, but I’m talking about personal wealth. When you control a significant amount of your country’s total wealth you’re actively withholding it from those who can barely get by.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FatalFantasy

Jan 30, 2019
Brisbane
✟2,057.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recently bought a book called "Thou shall prosper" by orthodhox rabbi Daniel Lapin.
He says there is moral and dignity in being a businessman. There is nothing wrong to want to be wealthy and to strive for it as long as your business is honest.
However, there are a lot of verses in the bible against the rich men:
Mark 10:25
1 Timothy 6:9-12
Is striving for wealth a sin? How much money is making a man rich?
"Thou shalt not want"

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,011.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
The heart is certainly a source of many types of wealth. There are plenty of multi-billion dollar industries that do a lot of good in the world, but I’m talking about personal wealth. When you control a significant amount of your country’s total wealth you’re actively withholding it from those who can barely get by.

Thank you for your explanation.

I make no apology for the things the Most High has placed within me. Or the experiences He has given me that have allowed me to excel beyond my peers. To Him I give all the praise.

I will not apologize for one morsel. For one thing. Nor for a minuscule that He has given me that incurs other people's ridicule. I make no confession.

I am the head and never the tail. To HaShem be the glory. :)

Upvote 0

gaara4158

Gen Alpha Dad
Aug 18, 2007
United States
✟204,279.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for your explanation.

I make no apology for the things the Most High has placed within me. Or the experiences He has given me that have allowed me to excel beyond my peers. To Him I give all the praise.

I will not apologize for one morsel. For one thing. Nor for a minuscule that He has given me that incurs other people's ridicule. I make no confession.

I am the head and never the tail. To HaShem be the glory. :)
I suppose I should ask. Are you an actual billionaire?

Upvote 0