Pacific Northwest
✟87,947.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
I recently bought a book called "Thou shall prosper" by orthodhox rabbi Daniel Lapin.
He says there is moral and dignity in being a businessman. There is nothing wrong to want to be wealthy and to strive for it as long as your business is honest.
However, there are a lot of verses in the bible against the rich men:
Mark 10:25
1 Timothy 6:9-12
Is striving for wealth a sin? How much money is making a man rich?

People come here occasionally asking if this or that thing is a 'sin'. The reality is that there is no definitive list of 'sins'. I've asked on religious forums for, literally, decades and no one has ever produced a list of sins.

There is a reason for that. Jesus created a whole new, and higher, level of spirituality for humanity. Under the teachings of Jesus, there is no 'check list' of things which will define one as righteous.

Jesus gave us two overriding commandment which provides guidelines that are supposed to define how one lives one's life. Anything which advances those guidelines are 'righteous', those which don't are 'sins'.

Something like becoming wealthy can be either righteous or sinful. It all depends on how one lives one's life.

Let's take Bill Gates for instance. (disclaimer: This is based on what I know about him and not who he actually is) He earned his money sometimes in less than ethical ways. But since he has become one of the wealthiest people on the planet, he has dedicated his money to bettering the lives of as many of the poorest people on the planet as possible.

For instance, he has spent huge amounts of money doing something no one else cares about...solving the human waste problem in developing nations. Just getting rid of human poo and pee in a safe manner in many nations is a problem no one else ever tried to do.

Is his wealth a sin or not? If it is a sin, then probably no one would ever reach righteousness by trying to solve the human waste problem in the developing world. That just takes money.

The best answer for everyone wondering about if something is a 'sin' consider whether others benefit in a positive manner from one's behavior.

Upvote 0

Verv

Senior Veteran
Apr 17, 2005
서울
✟31,762.00
Country
Korea, Republic Of
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I recently bought a book called "Thou shall prosper" by orthodhox rabbi Daniel Lapin.
He says there is moral and dignity in being a businessman. There is nothing wrong to want to be wealthy and to strive for it as long as your business is honest.

That's a great question.

We should desire to prosper and to be successful because it is a sign of having done the right thing. Right makes might, I believe -- that is to say, that when we do the right thing in a situation, we tend to reap rewards.

I do not believe in the prosperity gospel by any stretch of the word, but I certainly do believe that in a society which is fair, like most of the first world countries out there, hard work tends to be properly remunerated on some level. Not perfectly, heed you, because I still deserve to live on a mansion on an island with a fully stocked & staffed yacht because I work pretty good between the hours of 9 and 12, but, you know, a middle class existence is a decent consolation prize.

... But to desire wealth for wealth's sake is wrong.

Of course, it is OK to desire more leisure and more power to do good in the world, and these are things that grow out of wealth very naturally, but to obsess over it, and to wish to flaunt wealth and the likes strikes me as vainglorious.

It's very difficult to separate these two threads, though, right? It's hard to say that you wish to generate lots of wealth and wield a lot of influence with it purely with the right intentions... and then a few breaths later realize that you are fantasizing about island mansions & touring the world indefinitely, five star hotel after five star hotel.

So it is probably best to work hard, get what you can out of it, enjoy it properly, and to try to do good in the world. Focusing on working well and working hard is the best thing to do.

I know a few people who became wildly successful in their fields and I do not begrudge them in the least because they are the sort of people that spent their Saturdays hard at work, never stopping. They deserve what they have and the prestige that comes with it because they barely notice what they have, and they barely notice the prestige.

In a real sense... the most ethical thing is to never think about the fruits of wealth but only to think about the right things to do, and if it happens, good -- may you not be corrupted by it, and if it doesn't happen? This is also fine.

Reactions: Zhivko
Upvote 0

stevenfrancis

Disciple
Dec 28, 2012
United States
Visit site
✟40,142.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Sin" may or may not be involved. Why do you wish to be rich? (rhetorical....you don't need to answer). That would be the question you'd have to ask yourself, and take that to prayer. Motives. Your heart. For what it's worth, material wealth is generally an infertile ground to plant seeds of salvation. The Lord had much to say about being spirtually wealthy rather than materially. Mainly because the possession of material wealth, and the striving for such can quite easily become and idol, and take your eye off the prize. Christ. He tells us, "strive to enter through the narrow gate". Why? Because "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to attain the kingdom of heaven". This is because with great material wealth comes less reliance on God for your daily bread. Wealth doesn't make you an idolator in and of itself. It just creates an wider space for evil and sin to occur. The father we move ourselves from utter dependence on God, the farther we move our goal. Your also piling a lot of responsibility upon yourself with great material wealth that few attain to. To whom is given much.....much is expected. Wealth doesn't change the fact that if you have two coats, one of them belongs to the poor. This is what I keep finding in the teachings of Christ anyway.

Upvote 0

leyden

May 13, 2017
midwest
✟8,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
depends what "rich" means to the individual. is it to engorge in pleasurable things, to be lazy or is it out of fear? then yes. is it purely to help others or provide for your family's future and for none of the aforementioned things? then no

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DaveM

Nov 26, 2016
nc
✟71,927.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Timothy 6:9
But those who desire to be rich fall into temptation, into a snare, into many senseless and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction.

Desire the key word here IMO

1. fall into temptation
2. into a snare
3. senseless desires
4. harmful desires
5. Ruin
6. Destruction

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes.
To some people , having ONE dollar makes them rich. To others, ten thousand is not enough.

Wealth is often a state of mind. But it can also be reduced to a dollar figure as well.

I recently passed the point where I worry about money. My next goal is to reach the point where I don't even think about money.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,440,434.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People come here occasionally asking if this or that thing is a 'sin'. The reality is that there is no definitive list of 'sins'. I've asked on religious forums for, literally, decades and no one has ever produced a list of sins.

There is a reason for that. Jesus created a whole new, and higher, level of spirituality for humanity. Under the teachings of Jesus, there is no 'check list' of things which will define one as righteous.

Jesus gave us two overriding commandment which provides guidelines that are supposed to define how one lives one's life. Anything which advances those guidelines are 'righteous', those which don't are 'sins'.

Something like becoming wealthy can be either righteous or sinful. It all depends on how one lives one's life.

Let's take Bill Gates for instance. (disclaimer: This is based on what I know about him and not who he actually is) He earned his money sometimes in less than ethical ways. But since he has become one of the wealthiest people on the planet, he has dedicated his money to bettering the lives of as many of the poorest people on the planet as possible.

For instance, he has spent huge amounts of money doing something no one else cares about...solving the human waste problem in developing nations. Just getting rid of human poo and pee in a safe manner in many nations is a problem no one else ever tried to do.

Is his wealth a sin or not? If it is a sin, then probably no one would ever reach righteousness by trying to solve the human waste problem in the developing world. That just takes money.

The best answer for everyone wondering about if something is a 'sin' consider whether others benefit in a positive manner from one's behavior.

The apostle Paul wrote:

"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible, but not everything is edifying."

By saying "everything is permissible," Paul is starting us off without a list of "thou shalt nots." But he's setting a new standard: It's not what you don't do that counts, it's that you do only what is beneficial and edifying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No, I don't think so. That looks like the basis of a false (deceiving ) gospel. Unable to save anyone. Not leading anyone to turn to Yahweh the Creator, nor to have faith in Jesus, the only way to the Father.

Want a list of sin? The list may be one.... just one. (1) Unbelief.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Billionaires who give away millions seem to be doing more good than the poor who give away everything they have. But which are morally better? In the Christian tradition I grew up in the answer was unequivocal; the poor.
Unfortunately more isnt good enough. Poor children are dying every day. That should be the message we propagate, IMO.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The apostle Paul wrote:

"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible, but not everything is edifying."

By saying "everything is permissible," Paul is starting us off without a list of "thou shalt nots." But he's setting a new standard: It's not what you don't do that counts, it's that you do only what is beneficial and edifying.
Wasn't paul referring to food only?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Unfortunately more isnt good enough. Poor children are dying every day. That should be the message we propagate, IMO.
Yes, even right in our own neigborhood(s).
What can we do the disciples wondered? Jesus told them, start small. Don't have a fund raiser to buy video equipment or for a overseas mission; rather , give a glass of water to someone who needs it.
Whoever gives and whoever receives a glass of water in My Name , will not lose their reward. .....

Humble, help, as one has something to give, give without any expectation of it being returned. And if in need, receive without embarrassment as from the provision of the Father thru His Planning and Orchestration.
Share with one another as any has need.

• Agree
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Sadly many just cannot be saved.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do we know if we dont try? Surely there is something we can do for these kids, if financial help is impossible then we should be their voice.

Proverbs 31:8 Open your mouth for the mute,
For the [a]rights of all the unfortunate.
9 Open your mouth, judge righteously,
And [c]defend the rights of the afflicted and needy.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Doing good is usually a heart choice.

One does not have to wait until one gets money and very few people would even use the money for others if they have not been giving before and had a heart for giving.

And I’m not limiting this to only money, but money is relative in the sense that if it is valued highly when your not rich. It’s harder to give it away later.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I’m sure people back in Jesus day wondered why Jesus didn’t just heal everyone.

We should not wonder why God heals when He heals, or doesn’t when He doesn’t, but go for all people and then let the chips fall where they do.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How do we know if we dont try? Surely there is something we can do for these kids, if financial help is impossible then we should be their voice.

Proverbs 31:8 Open your mouth for the mute,
For the [a]rights of all the unfortunate.
9 Open your mouth, judge righteously,
And [c]defend the rights of the afflicted and needy.

I think we're trying. We have aid groups all around the world where they're needed. Unfortunately they are often hindered by regional forces or overwhelmed by the sheer needs.

It should be noted as well that charitable giving has reached record highs in the past two years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0