Is Tony Blair to blame for the civil war in Iraq?

cyberlizard

the electric lizard returns
Jul 5, 2007
chesterfield, UK
Visit site
✟25,065.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
probably not to blame, but the war did not exactly help. Hussain may have been a power hungry individual, but since his demise the country has been a political vacuum and assorted groups have sought to fill the space. Sometimes it can be a case of better the devil you know.

Steve

Upvote 0

Jonathan Jarvis

Quoth The Raven
Mar 24, 2013
Chesterfield
Visit site
✟16,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,078.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I find the behavior of various politicians during that whole episode morally gut-wrenching and part of me would certainly feel that being impeached would be some sort of comeuppance for them.

Constitutionally it's probably more dubious, since the British Parliament voted on and passed a motion quite centrally related to the Iraq intervention. The fact that Parliament allowed itself to be grossly misled, therefore, spreads the apparent responsibility further than that of any one hapless individual.

In 1982 Tony Blair didn't want the armed forces to defend the Falkland Islands when they were invaded. When he saw how popular Mrs. Thatcher became as a result of their successful defence, however, he on his own admission thought the British people liked war. (Again, a skewed extrapolation.)

Up here in Canada, there was a similar situation - on another issue - between Prime Ministers Lester Pearson and John Diefenbaker: Mr Pearson initiated a judicial enquiry about the actions of duly elected ministers of the previous government who were responsible to Parliament. Again, this is constitutionally dubious. If Parliament sanctions the actions of ministers, then the courts, which are supposed to implement, not overrule, the decisions of Parliament, should not be used to victimize ministers and former ministers, however hapless or pathetic.

(I am speaking of the state of affairs in Parliamentary systems, of course, such as those of Canada and the United Kingdom; the United States' system is based on the separation of powers.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
O

OopsyDaisy

What do you think?

Did the 2003 invasion lead to the current civil war?

Good old Tony, just can't get enough of the old war and bombing and that. I think they should bring back the old days - when Iraq was run by the British Empire and before that the Ottoman Turks ran the show.
But really there is no hope for the Islamic world - it's a basket case. And then, there are those who say that they did it deliberately - divide and conquer - and then siphon off the oil, until that runs out - then drill out shale oil for a few years. Don't mess with George Bush or 'yo Blair' or they will 'bring you democracy'.

Upvote 0

Shuvah77

Jun 21, 2014
✟7,613.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Declare ye among the nations and publish,and conceal not etc {Jeremiah 50v2} The invasion plans for Iraq were published in Murdochs Sun newspaper prior to the invasion. The then editor of that populist rag {appeal to mans lowest common denominator and you will make money }was none other than Rebekah Wade a.k.a. Rebekah Brooks both very close friends of Blair.The Jeremiah 50/51 prophecy was until 2003 a yet future event and not the Cyrus invasion, They should have paid closer attention to Jeremiah 50v24 ,worth mentioning is fact that Saddam only had to invite the U.N.weapons inspectors back and there would be no war {he had no w.m.d. so why not!}

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Its all an event of history in the making. The Islamic world will never be stable, for it is tribal mentality. One cannot have democracy with such allegiance to tribes. We should have seen that in the rest of the world and stayed clear of the place, I see.

We have lost thousands of American lives and wasted billions of dollars there to no profit. We would do better to defend ourselves, support and defend our allies, and let others just follow their choices. Of course, no one consulted me --Ha!

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
1watchman said:
Its all an event of history in the making. The Islamic world will never be stable, for it is tribal mentality. One cannot have democracy with such allegiance to tribes. We should have seen that in the rest of the world and stayed clear of the place, I see. We have lost thousands of American lives and wasted billions of dollars there to no profit. We would do better to defend ourselves, support and defend our allies, and let others just follow their choices. Of course, no one consulted me --Ha!
You might not have noticed, but by developing world standards a number of Islamic nations have pretty successful democracies. Indonesia, Malaysia. Turkey. ...

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,700.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
You might not have noticed, but by developing world standards a number of Islamic nations have pretty successful democracies. Indonesia, Malaysia. Turkey. ...

Shush.
Muslims come from those there countries in the middle east and Africa that I see on the news all the time.

Upvote 0