Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Could you please define what you actually mean by

'catholic enough for you ?'
By the sound of it you've got doubts already, Anelhyna. :)
I mean do you feel it has legitimacy as a Catholic sub-forum? Do you feel that you might be "going out on a limb" by posting here? Do you feel it has enough authenticity? Not sure I can make it any clearer than that.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,729.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well you see - I do have a genuine problem - I'm Eastern Catholic not Latin[ aka Roman]

My liturgy is different - the only way you can distinguish it from that in an Orthodox Church is listening to the Commemoration of the Hierarch. Our vestments are more or less identical to those used in the Orthodox Churches.

I'm a traditionalist - so my problem is where do I fit in with these labels of 'progressive' 'Traditionalist' or what have you. After all our Church Architecture is very different our priest does not Serve versus populem.

YET - I am Catholic and in Communion with Rome

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The thing is all the Catholic areas are Catholic. But yes some go to the edges that many Catholics will not be comfortable with. For instance TLT takes the concept of Development of Dogma to an edge that could be argued as not Catholic. It's fine, it is what it is here for...for the exploration of those edges and theories. That is why your Statement was written to allow it. Will some look at that kind of thing and think...I can't go in there. Of course.

Now, there are things in the other areas that make people think they can not go there. I will not elaborate much on other areas outside of those areas. But I post in all of them. I find Catholics and Catholic thought in all of them.

As far as "Catholic enough" we all fall short. We can rarely tell our own gap, but the gap of our brothers and sisters look huge. Often we shake our heads at the missed leap of another while missing by a mile ourselves.

So I post in all three Catholic areas and occasionally in the fourth. But, without Peaceful Dove, I post in the Charismatic area less. It just...it is missing something. Perhaps that will change someday.

Catholics struggle. All people struggle. Do I find a desire here to reject the Church? No. I find questions about things.Do posts and questions sometimes push and envelope of what the Church teaches...yes. But it is in an effort to grow. Where that leads. I don't know. TLT, when formed years ago, did exhibit a desire to reject and remake Catholic teaching. Right now it shows a desire to discuss where there is disappointment and a desire to try to understand what can be done. For some that discussion goes too close to areas they see as dissent. I have seen too many people struggle to yell dissent at questions. No matter if those questions veer left or right, so to speak.

Cardinal Dulles said:

Dissent is sometimes confused with other responses such as wishing the Magisterium taught otherwise or failing to understand why the Magisterium taught as it did. Dissent is not the same as disappointment or incomprehension which are entirely compatible with assent. Nor is it the same as doubt, though doubt is likewise a failure to give full assent. Depending on the circumstance doubt may be voluntary or involuntary, culpable or non-culpable.

Avery Cardinal Dulles
Magisterium: Teacher and Guardian of the Faith

Too often doubt and struggle are seen as dissent.

All people try to figure out their faith. And Catholics are no exception. It is not a competition on who is more Catholic, it is a stumbling mass of sinners. The problem is we do not help pick each other up enough. That is not just a TLT, CF or any other combination of letters problem.

But I also find the labels (Traditional, Progressive...ect) just arbitrary. And also defined differently by each person. Catholicism is so many things. So I post everywhere.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
ADMIN HAT

This thread is closed. If you don't like a post you see in another forum, report it. Don't do a coy response thread. That's not going to fix anything.

And to answer the OP, TLT is a Catholic forum. So anyone saying otherwise is treading on thin ice. Report it if you see it happeninf.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Well, I'll admit that I have been guilty of helping this forum look more secular than catholic. In the spirit of humour and fellowship, but perhaps I have strayed too far. I welcome more traditional posters here to add some flavour. I'd like to think we aren't "on the edge" , that we are real and authentic. That we are in communion with the Vatican. That if Pope Francis dropped by he wouldn't say"mm but where's the gospel of Christ here? I can't see it.," :)

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
this forum is Catholic but far too often people seem confused by Catholic terminology and some basic concepts

also I have seen people say that homosexual actions are not sinful and that is not a Catholic idea
I have seen people show a desire that the Church will start ordaining women as priests, that is also not a Catholic idea

but I have also seen a real openness and friendliness and depth of thought that IS very Catholic :)

like anything else, there are strengths and weaknesses
to be Catholic is to be in a constant state of reform, strengthening the strengths and correcting the weaknesses

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
It's as Catholic as any other , if not more so in its loyalty to Pope Francis and Catholic Tradition .

haven't seen anyone discuss homosexuality here for ages
true, it has been a while
but when it was discussed, people seemed rather "squishy" on that topic

for example?
I remember some discussions about the concepts of church and grace that seemed odd
I do not remember right off the top of my head.

yet some Catholics feel we shouldn't be in a state of reform
to be Catholic is to be in a state of reform, because in our Mass we say "I confess to almighty God and to you my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault"
as sinners, we have to reform ourselves

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0