Earth
✟1,466,917.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I guess St Jude is telling folks to be blasphemers too: And on some have compassion, making a distinction;[d] 23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire,[e] hating even the garment defiled by the flesh

and St Paul is one too I guess: I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

and here he as again in 1 Corinthians: For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

and in Romans: if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them.

wait....wait.....maybe, it's the meaning of the word "save" and the context.......maybe we should factor that in before we see what is blasphemy and what is not.....maybe......?

Last edited:
Reactions: Knee V
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Yes, and you even questioned it, which is why you should listen to your conscience, for the Lord bears witness to our conscience.:thumbsup:

If you actually read the prayer, it asks for deliverance from adversity, which is clearly not the same salvation as Christ's salvation

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's not a phony understanding.

And the context still really hasn't been defined. I've read a thread where several people offer their thoughts on it, mainly stating "well, it doesn't really mean what it looks like" and "that prayer isn't for unbelievers to hear".

Why call her the salvation of the Christian people if she isn't?

Being a Lord is a bit different than being called the Salvation of the Christian people. You're trying to compare apples to oranges.

I find that we shouldn't have ANY reference to Mary when it comes to salvation and eternal life and redemption in our religious beliefs. It's really easy to see why people are turned off to Orthodoxy/Catholicism when they see these types of prayers.

We honor Mary in our faith, but we do not elevate her.

We sometimes worry about things we needn't while neglecting those that are most important and expedient.

Upvote 0

InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you actually read the prayer, it asks for deliverance from adversity, which is clearly not the same salvation as Christ's salvation

I read the prayer, and it is blasphemy to proclaim....

"O blessed Theotokos, open the doors of compassion to us whose hope is in you, that we may not perish but be delivered from adversity through you, who are the salvation of the Christian people."

Upvote 0

Shiranui117

Sack of Hammers
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
✟16,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged

"O blessed Theotokos, open the doors of compassion to us whose hope is in you, that we may not perish but be delivered from adversity through you, who are the salvation of the Christian people."
It looks like blasphemy if you don't understand the context of the prayer. I can explain if you like.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
wait....wait.....maybe, it's the meaning of the word "save" and the context.......maybe we should factor that in before we see what is blasphemy and what is not.....maybe......?

Maybe people ought to start believing in what the scriptures actually say is true instead of worshiping the creature more than the Creator?

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

That name is not "theotokos" or Mary, and to proclaim such is blasphemy!

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It really sounds like you've got your mind made up, despite many orthodox telling you that you are not interpreting the words the same way they do. That's a shame (and pretty arrogant too, I might add).

Then they should repent, and stop chanting prayers that proclaim she is the salvation of the Christian people.

They do not believe that Mary saves. They believe that through Mary (i.e. through the Son she bore) there is salvation. The difference is important.

Again, do you understand what they mean when they say that? Because they are telling you, and you aren't listening...

Maybe people ought to start believing in what the scriptures actually say is true instead of worshiping the creature more than the Creator?

Acts 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

That name is not "theotokos" or Mary, and to proclaim such is blasphemy!

No one is saying that salvation comes from Mary rather than from Christ. They are saying that Christ comes through Mary, and salvation is in Christ.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
They do not believe that Mary saves.
Actually, many of them DO believe that Mary saves. This may be because their church condones it or because the wording of the prayers used says exactly that, regardless of what some theologians somewhere might say by way of clarification.

More than a million people--clergy and laity both-- signed a petition to the Vatican to have the Pope use his "infallible" power by proclaiming Mary the co-redemptrix of the world. You know the meaning of the term, I assume.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Actually, many of them DO believe that Mary saves. This may be because their church condones it or because the wording of the prayers used says exactly that, regardless of what some theologians somewhere might say by way of clarification.

More than a million people--clergy and laity both-- signed a petition to the Vatican to have the Pope use his "infallible" power by proclaiming Mary the co-redemptrix of the world. You know the meaning of the term, I assume.

How many EO's believe that Mary provides salvation from sin? There are none I know of.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
It's not a phony understanding.

We honor Mary in our faith, but we do not elevate her.

Why wouldn't you? Through Adam and Eve's disobedience we all suffer the consequences of sin...death. Through Mary's obedience, we have Christ...and life eternal! Christ was not born from Peter or Paul...just as Eve was the mother of us all and brought death into humanity, so Mary, through Christ, is the mother of us all and brought eternal life (Christ) to humanity!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Joseph Hazen

The Religious Loudmouth
May 2, 2011
The Silent Planet
✟17,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Why on Earth would the Eastern Orthodox petition the Bishop of Rome to use infallibility to declare a dogma? We're not in Communion, and his "infallibility" is one of the primary reasons.

For anyone still reading and who still has ears to hear, here it is definitely: Orthodox Christians do not believe that Mary is responsible for our eternal salvation. However, she is the source of Christ (not His eternal self, but He-Who-Came-To-Earth, yes), Who is our eternal salvation. We honor her, in this prayer and other ways, for this role. Another prayer says this same thing in a longer way: "For thou hast born the Savior of our souls."

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Why wouldn't you? Through Adam and Eve's disobedience we all suffer the consequences of sin...death. Through Mary's obedience, we have Christ...and life eternal! Christ was not born from Peter or Paul...just as Eve was the mother of us all and brought death into humanity, so Mary, through Christ, is the mother of us all and brought eternal life (Christ) to humanity!

Mary didn't do that, God did. Mary was God's servant, nothing more.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mat 12:36
But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment.

May God be gracious to us all.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pro 12:17
He that speaketh truth sheweth forth righteousness: but a false witness deceit.

Pro 14:5
A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies.

Pro 19:5
A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall not escape.

Pro 19:9
A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall perish.

Pro 21:28
A false witness shall perish: but the man that heareth speaketh constantly.

Pro 25:18
A man that beareth false witness against his neighbour is a maul, and a sword, and a sharp arrow.

May God be gracious to us all.

Upvote 0
T

Thekla

Mary didn't do that, God did. Mary was God's servant, nothing more.

To quote ArmyMatt:

I guess St Jude is telling folks to be blasphemers too: And on some have compassion, making a distinction;[d] 23 but others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire,[e] hating even the garment defiled by the flesh

and St Paul is one too I guess: I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

and here he as again in 1 Corinthians: For how do you know, O wife, whether you will save your husband? Or how do you know, O husband, whether you will save your wife?

and in Romans: if by any means I may provoke to jealousy those who are my flesh and save some of them.

If the prayer is blasphemy, it is the blasphemy of Paul and Jude as well.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.