InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I just saw this "Orthodox" prayer on another thread, here's the prayer...

"O blessed Theotokos, open the doors of compassion to us whose hope is in you, that we may not perish but be delivered from adversity through you, who are the salvation of the Christian people."

Is this idea of Mary being the salvation of the Christian people really "Orthodox?" :doh:

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

"O blessed Theotokos, open the doors of compassion to us whose hope is in you, that we may not perish but be delivered from adversity through you, who are the salvation of the Christian people."

Is this idea of Mary being the salvation of the Christian people really "Orthodox?" :doh:

it developed during a church council . that Jesus is not the Jesus of salvation unless he's a human born having a mother . so the mother of God, though phrased awkwardly for protestants and those who divided from them over the centuries .. is really saying Jesus who had Mary as his mom. it's essential to believe Jesus is a human in addition to saying he is 100% God at the same time . so this was integrated deeply into the religious expression of the ancient faiths to cover this end of it due to common gnostic teachings that Jesus was a ghost with supernatural powers .

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

lt is.. but not to be taken out of the context from where it comes.

Are you asking for an explanation or just wanting to heckle us?

God be gracious to me a sinner.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I don't think this prayer needs any explanation, as it's pretty straight forward claiming Mary to be the salvation of the Christian people; which is nothing short of blasphemy.

well as you have judged . so will you be .

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OrthodoxyUSA said:

I don't think this prayer needs any explanation, as it's pretty straight forward claiming Mary to be the salvation of the Christian people; which is nothing short of blasphemy.

Guess that answers my question.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yea, and the Lord also exposes the shame of peoples nakedness.:blush:

Yeah the revelation is a good guide for that process . the word for revelation also means to make naked . probably why the process is so traumatic for some .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
It's really important to understand how a phrase is being used before judgement is pronounced.

Let me give you an example;

If a student from the UK goes up to the front of the class and asks the teacher for a rubber they are referring to a pencil eraser. But if a student from the U.S. does the same thing it has a whole different meaning.

I guess that's why in our Lord's omniscience and grace He judges the intentions of our hearts.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
If you're drowning in a lake, and a woman, whom cannot swim, hears your cries for help, and runs and takes hold somebody that can swin and can save you, is she not your savior in a sense?

If I need life saving surgery, and if the doctor operating on me is successful, he is indeed my savior. That does not make him my God nor my Lord and Savior in the sense of Jesus as Lord and Savior.

Upvote 0

Sword of the Lord

In need of a physician.
Dec 29, 2012
Not in Heaven yet
✟145,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
Not in proper context. You're forcing the prayer to say that Mary is our savior in the sense that Jesus is our Savior.

What does Revelation 17:3 have to do with this topic?

"The great harlot is Rome, the empire with its claims of divinity, sovereignty, and eternity, opposed to God and the Church..." TOSB, Rev 17:1

"The woman's position on the beast shows the Roman system supported by the Antichrist-emperor. The names of blasphemy may be the divine titles assumed by the emperors." TOSB, Rev 17:3

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
lt is.. but not to be taken out of the context from where it comes.

So what then is the context?

Upvote 0

InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Not in proper context. You're forcing the prayer to say that Mary is our savior in the sense that Jesus is our Savior.

What does Revelation 17:3 have to do with this topic?

"The great harlot is Rome, the empire with its claims of divinity, sovereignty, and eternity, opposed to God and the Church..." TOSB, Rev 17:1

"The woman's position on the beast shows the Roman system supported by the Antichrist-emperor. The names of blasphemy may be the divine titles assumed by the emperors." TOSB, Rev 17:3

I'm not forcing anything, just exposing the darkness.:thumbsup: And by the way, the Harlot is not Rome.:)

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,100.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So what then is the context?
I'm fairly certain the OP found the prayer in a thread about that prayer in The Ancient Way forum, where the context was explained clearly. The fact that the OP did not provide a link to the thread says a lot about his intent.

Upvote 0

InSpiritInTruth

May 15, 2011
State of Grace
✟11,335.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The fact that the OP did not provide a link to the thread says a lot about his intent.

My intent is not a secret, as I said I'm just exposing the darkness, and also tearing down the strong holds of Satan.:thumbsup:

2 Corinthians 10:4-5

King James Version (KJV)

4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds)
5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,100.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I believe this is the thread the OP is referring to.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7804379/

Please take note of the subforum rules before posting in that thread. If you wish to respond in the manner of the OP then please keep your response in his thread.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.