Alberta
✟67,737.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Im conservative. Believe in the death penealty only if evidence is accurrate and it a murder or child molesters. But i know some innocent people have been wrongfully convicted so my prayer is that all people have fair trial with trusted evidence. We now have the tech to it now. My hope is to get the right person if he is guilty yes Death penailty serves it right.

Do i believe the bed no i do not. Hanging or chiar should be in place. Why beacause they need to know the pain the victims felt. It only takes less then 1/2 hr. I am only talking about the serial crimes.

Those that choose to follow Jesus I feel should be foprgiven by the death penalty. They can be a wittness to other prisoner. I just pray for the p;eople to know Jesus no matter what sin they have done

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Im conservative. Believe in the death penealty only if evidence is accurrate and it a murder or child molesters. But i know some innocent people have been wrongfully convicted so my prayer is that all people have fair trial with trusted evidence. We now have the tech to it now. My hope is to get the right person if he is guilty yes Death penailty serves it right.

Do i believe the bed no i do not. Hanging or chiar should be in place. Why beacause they need to know the pain the victims felt. It only takes less then 1/2 hr. I am only talking about the serial crimes.

Those that choose to follow Jesus I feel should be foprgiven by the death penalty. They can be a wittness to other prisoner. I just pray for the p;eople to know Jesus no matter what sin they have done

:(

Upvote 0

PenelopePitstop2

Sep 15, 2006
✟16,428.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The sad thing about jail conversions is that many men and women are 'prison christians' that is they cannot follow it up once they leave prison. This can be for several reasons, sometimes they have no support when they leave and fall away, or in some cases they were not really saved in the first place.

In some cases it was a ploy to impress the parole board. In other cases it was to manipulate vulnerable christians.

Thats not to say there aren't any genuine conversions because there are. When I was involved in prison ministries I witnessed amazing testimonies of men and women who were truly saved and set free and now serve God in amazing ways.

Back to methods though, lethal injection is not really pain free and can be one of the worst ways to die if you are unfortunate enough to have someone who doesn't administer it right. So you are right hanging is probably more humane or firing squad.

This is from an organisation calles MCDAP who have some statistics and reports on such things

Typically, the condemned man or woman is strapped to a chair or trolley. Two intravenous lines are inserted, one as a back up. The lines are kept open with saline solution. Then, at the warden's signal, the injection team administers: first, sodium thiopental to induce anaesthesia, then pancuronium bromide to cause paralysis, and finally a bolus of potassium chloride to bring about cardiac arrest.

It seems so clinical and clean. However, in a fast-track Research Letter in this week's Lancet, Leonidas Koniaris and co-workers report that these killings may not be as free from cruelty as death-penalty proponents claim. The research team obtained information from Virginia and Texas, where since 1976 nearly half of the executions in the USA have been done. Among the facts they learned were that neither state has a record of how they developed their execution protocol, that the injection teams were made up of medical technicians or individuals from medical corps with no training in administering anaesthesia, and that there was no assessment of the depth of anaesthesia before the paralysing agent and potassium chloride were injected.

The researchers also obtained toxicological reports from four other states which indicate that post-mortem thiopental concentrations in the blood of 43 of 49 executed inmates (88%) were lower than those needed for surgical anaesthesia, and 21 (43%) episodes were consistent with awareness. That is: those being executed may have been awake. Of course, because they were paralysed, no one could tell. It would be a cruel way to die: awake, paralysed, unable to move, to breathe, while potassium burned through your veins.

But back to the OP, I still think that a persons life is not ours to take. Regardless of whether the offender deserves death or not. Yes society should be protected and the person imprisoned, but killing, particularly when it is claimed that it will act as a deterrant to others is not merciful and clearly does not work.

The countries that have the death penalty do not have less murders or serious sexual offences than those that have abolished it. So the real issue is what can society do to prevent crimes of this nature.

I also was involved in fostering juvenile criminals and many, if intervention is early, can be prevented from adult offending. So some offences can be prevented this way.

Likewise if people with mental health issues received the treatment and support they needed this also would prevent some of the offences.

The key to reducing violent crime is to look more carefully at the way society is fabricated and address the issues before they escalate not just to increase levels of punishment.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But back to the OP, I still think that a persons life is not ours to take. Regardless of whether the offender deserves death or not. Yes society should be protected and the person imprisoned, but killing, particularly when it is claimed that it will act as a deterrant to others is not merciful and clearly does not work.

Still need to stay with whether the Death Penalty is moral...not whether it works or is thought to work. That's a practical, not a moral, question. It's like arguing that we ought not go to war because the enemy might respond to diplomacy; it has nothing to do with whether or not there is such a thing as a just war.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Killing is a sin and that it is a
Taken of a human's life as it ain't
A sin against God but a crime being committed.

"Killing" is not a sin. Murder is a sin.

That's why it's so important not to confuse the state's proper role and responsibilities with an individual's moral obligations.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

annie1speed

Mar 16, 2007
Alabama
✟16,139.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I support it. I am conservative both religiously and politically. There are some crimes so heinous, I wonder if those who commit them are really human. Wild animals don't do some of the things these people do, so why should they live?

In the Old Testament, if you read through Deuteronomy again and again the children of Isreal are told to remove the evil that is among them - referring to the death penalty. The US today is not a theocracy, and I am not implying that, but if God commanded it for His chosen people, why should we not enforce the death penalty today?

Upvote 0

minister50

Nov 11, 2007
✟15,501.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Scriptures say:

(Genesis 9:6) Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.

(Matthew 18:6) But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and [that] he were drowned in the depth of the sea.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Yes, but God could have imposed the sentence Himself.

Of course, but we're discussing what government/states do.

The fact that He chose not to do so speaks volumes to me.

Interesting. Let's take your point and go with it.

So, because God spared Cain, he's against the death penalty? If so, you need to explain how he stuck dead OTHER people in the Old Testament. Lot's wife, for example.

If he were against the "death penalty," it's obvious that he'd be...well, against the death penalty.

Upvote 0

PenelopePitstop2

Sep 15, 2006
✟16,428.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
All the examples given so far are OT though. If you read the NT much more is spoken of mercy than judgement.

WHen the woman caught in adultery was about to be stoned. Jesus said to carry out the punishment the person should be himself without sin and when no man was left standing Jesus himself was the only one qualified to stone her. And yet he said, neither do I condemn you. This speaks volumes, God chose not to enforce the punishment that the written law required. He forgave and instead offered mercy and not judgement.

The problem with man is we see sin in degrees. God does not, sin is sin to Him. He is Holy and any unrighteousness is evil to Him no matter how small or unimportant in societies viewpoints. Lets not forget our righteousness is as filthy rags, thats pretty strong wording.

Albion you keep refering to whether it is right because the governement allows it. Well that for me doesn't cut it. The authorities also make it legal to do many other evil things and stay on the side of man's law and yet violating God's law. Should we agree with those too because the authorities according to the word have been appointed by God?

Upvote 0

IamRedeemed

Blessed are the pure in Heart, they shall see God.
May 18, 2007
Visit site
✟24,764.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
First of all, not that my post was written as support for the death penalty but rather was only written as Penelope the poster just before my post pointed out that everyone's examples were from the OT so, I offered one from the NT, secondly, your stance is inconsistent, as the story of Cain with God choosing NOT to take Cain's life, "spoke VOLUMES to you" But God taking the lives of Annanias and Sappira, speaks nothing.

Yes, they were. But there was a purpose to it. Given that it was God who took their lives, I have no argument with the action. I'm just not sure about humans to be making that decision.

Upvote 0