Is this the hardest teaching of Jesus as it relates to Salvation?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • I am not sure

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day,

I know it is hard to hear ( it is the hardest teaching of Jesus IMHO) that man has a complete inability to come. It does grate as it were against one's own view of self-determination and highly valued self-autonomy.

We see in John 6 Jesus says it twice and it does not go over very well.

Joh 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

Then again:

Joh 6:65 And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.” After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.

The universal inability of man to come to Christ requires the active intervention of God on behalf of man.. so, he told them twice.... it finally sank in.

They (many) did not like that, so they leave Him.

Thoughts?

In Him,

Bill

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day,

I know it is hard to hear ( it is the hardest teaching of Jesus IMHO) that man has a complete inability to come. It does grate as it were against one's own view of self-determination and highly valued self-autonomy.

Joh 6:44 No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws him. And I will raise him up on the last day.

Then again:

Joh 6:65 And he said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.” After this many of his disciples turned back and no longer walked with him.

The universal inability of man to come to Christ requires the active intervention of God on behalf of man.. so, he told them twice.... it finally sank in.

Thoughts?

In Him,

Bill
It’s not this verse which is central to their leaving. It goes back to verse 26 of John 6. Where Jesus said I am the bread of life and you must eat my flesh and drink my blood. But then He said it is spiritual and what if you see the Son of Man go back to where He was. He gave them hope but they still left because they were not believers, only wanted bread to eat.

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It’s not this verse which is central to their leaving. It goes back to verse 26 of John 6. Where Jesus said I am the bread of life and you must eat my flesh and drink my blood. But then He said it is spiritual and what if you see the Son of Man go back to where He was. He gave them hope but they still left because they were not believers, only wanted bread to eat.
Good day, Unqualifed

I disagree I do not think it is a fair reading of the context to go back almost 40 verses..

I am not saying that was hard.... Vs 60

But the last straw was to question theirs ability to believe (come).

but there are certain of you who do not believe;' for Jesus had known from the beginning who they are who are not believing, and who is he who will deliver him up, and he said, 'Because of this I have said to you—No one is able to come unto me, if it may not have been given him from my Father.'

The very next verse: From this time (after he repeated ) many of his disciples went away backward, and were no more walking with him,

I would refer you to Augustine's work on John 6.

He is addressing thief unbelief and not coming because they can not.

In Him,

Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Good day,

Then again:

Thoughts?

In Him,

Bill
John 6:44 and John 6: 65 would only be hard if man has a choice in all this. Without a choice and it being “all up to God” means you have nothing to worry about, since you have nothing to do.

God has sent out the call (invitation) to everyone, but it is up to each individual to humbly accept or reject the invitation.

Your interpretation of John 6: 44 and 65 is very hard to accept since it makes God out to be very unloving.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John 6:44 and John 6: 65 would only be hard if man has a choice in all this. Without a choice and it being “all up to God” means you have nothing to worry about, since you have nothing to do.

God has sent out the call (invitation) to everyone, but it is up to each individual to humbly accept or reject the invitation.

Your interpretation of John 6: 44 and 65 is very hard to accept since it makes God out to be very unloving.
Is God not also just? Does he overlook injustice?
Did he not give laws by which justice was to be administered among his people?

God is not the cause of man's fallen condition that is powerless to do anything savingly spiritual (of the Holy Spirit).
God is not the cause of man's preference of self over God.

How can you say that makes God unloving, when he gave his only Son to remedy man's hopeless situation which God did not cause?

Reactions: Unqualified
Upvote 0

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
i try not to think to deeply into how it all works in terms of our ability or inability to come to God. to me, God is completely sovereign over all his creation (including us) but also I don't discount our ability to choose, even if truly it is not really our ability in choosing or not. it sounds like a contradiction, but i prefer to think of it as the best we can do with our limited ability to understand the vastness of the Trinity.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Good day,

Then again:

Thoughts?

In Him,

Bill
It is hard for some but a blessing to others.
If you are here and remain, it is only because He called you, opened your eyes and heart, and inserted His word into you. Some come in and hang around a while but then leave. "They were not of us..." "I never knew you..."

1 John 2:19 KJV
19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would no doubt
have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Even more assurance is when He chastizes you. He only does this to sons. On the one hand, it is not pleasant, but on the other hand, it generates some joy because you know you are His.

Hebrews 12:5-7 KJV
5 And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children,
My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him:
6 For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?

Upvote 0

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day, Unqualifed

I disagree I do not think it is a fair reading of the context to go back almost 40 verses..

I am not saying that was hard.... Vs 60

But the last straw was to question theirs ability to believe (come).

but there are certain of you who do not believe;' for Jesus had known from the beginning who they are who are not believing, and who is he who will deliver him up, and he said, 'Because of this I have said to you—No one is able to come unto me, if it may not have been given him from my Father.'

The very next verse: From this time (after he repeated ) many of his disciples went away backward, and were no more walking with him,

I would refer you to Augustine's work on John 6.

He is addressing thief unbelief and not coming because they can not.

In Him,

Bill

James 1:25. They were called they were drawn, but did not become doers of the word.

1John 2:3. We have to know Him.

2 Pet 2:20-22. We have to stay pure

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Good day,

Then again:

Thoughts?

In Him,

Bill
What does " draw in" mean?

"to cause or entice to enter or participate"

And how does God "draw in" ?

Through Jesus Christ of Nazareth

Nothing to fear, we all have free will therefore we can choose Him.

Blessings

Upvote 0

BBAS 64

Contributor
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
New England
✟512,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does " draw in" mean?

"to cause or entice to enter or participate"

And how does God "draw in" ?

Through Jesus Christ of Nazareth

Nothing to fear, we all have free will therefore we can choose Him.

Blessings
Good day, Maria

Great Question:

The word is used in John 3 times (verb)

It is used to denote an action that requires force to complete a task.

When you draw a sword you have to overcome both gravity and the resistance of the sheath.

Jhn 18:10 Then 3767 Simon 4613 Peter 4074 having 2192 a sword 3162 drew 1670 it 846, and 2532 smote 3817 the high priest's 749 servant 1401, and 2532 cut off 609 his 846 right 1188 ear 5621. 1161 The servant's 1401 name 3686 was 2258 Malchus 3124

Jhn 21:6 And 1161 he said 2036 unto them 846, Cast 906 the net 1350 on 1519 the right 1188 side 3313 of the ship 4143, and 2532 ye shall find 2147 . They cast 906 therefore 3767, and 2532 now 3765 0 they were 2480 0 not 3765 able 2480 to draw 1670 it 846 for 575 the multitude 4128 of fishes 2486.

Takes force to draw a net you use just enough to get the net in the boat, but they could not do it.

Jhn 21:11 Simon 4613 Peter 4074 went up 305 , and 2532 drew 1670 the net 1350 to 1909 land 1093 full 3324 of great 3173 fishes 2486, an hundred 1540 and fifty 4004 and three 5140: and 2532 for all there were so many 5118, yet was 5607 not 3756 the net 1350 broken 4977 .

Takes force to drag a net to shore you use just enough to get the desired result. I do not think you can entice a net into a boat.. or a sword out of it's sheath.

Do you?

God has to act, to over come our inability to come to Jesus.

No man can come to me, unless God draws them.

God Draws them by Teaching them... New Covenant no need for us to teach our neighbor,

It is written in the Prophets, ‘And they will all be taught by God.’ Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to me

Jer 31:33 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the LORD: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the LORD. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

The writer of Hebrews, when God puts his law on our heart we then become his people and he becomes our God. The intention and purpose of God doing (putting and writings) is to make us His own ( results) of Gods actions.

Simple cause and effect.

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people

Our free wills by nature is informed by Heart that is desperately wicked and a mind that loves Darkness and hates the light.
So, there is not much hope there. But God!

In Him,

Bill

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Good day,

In the next verse we see that the Father draws to Jesus the faithful Jews who had heard and learned from the Father. This is collaborated in John 5:47-49 where Jesus tells the Jewish leaders that they don't believe what he says because they don't believe Moses.. Those who learned from the Father will of course believe Moses.

John 6:45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me. NKJV​

Post-Calvary, when we are under the New Covenant, Jesus draws all people to himself.

John 12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.​
Then again:

Based upon John 6:44-45 and John 5:47-49, the Father draws those who are in right relationship with the Father. God grants who He draws. The Bible does not teach that people can only come to Christ through some special intervention of God prior to faith - which Calvinists term "Irresistible Grace". Notice the pattern of Ephesians 1:13: It’s hears, believes and sealed, not sealed, listens and believes.

Ephesians 1:13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory. NIV​

Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is God not also just? Does he overlook injustice?
Did he not give laws by which justice was to be administered among his people?

God is not the cause of man's fallen condition that is powerless to do anything savingly spiritual (of the Holy Spirit).
God is not the cause of man's preference of self over God.

How can you say that makes God unloving, when he gave his only Son to remedy man's hopeless situation which God did not cause?
Clare, it is only the OP interpretation of John 6:44 and 65 which makes God out to be very unloving, the correct interpretation shows God’s Love, but I guess you have the same interpretation as the OP and are trying to say: “God is not being shown to be unloving with the OP’s interpretation”, Am I correct in my thinking?

To say: “God only ‘draws’ a few people and is not trying to draw all people”, makes God out to be very unloving, for no reason is given nor seen, for only drawing a few people.

We agree everyone saved was drawn, but I am saying there are people drawn by God who refuse His gracious invitation (like those invited to the banquet).

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Clare, it is only the OP interpretation of John 6:44 and 65 which makes God out to be very unloving,
The OP presents no interpretation, it presents only the Biblical texts.
the correct interpretation shows God’s Love, but I guess you have the same interpretation as the OP and are trying to say: “God is not being shown to be unloving with the OP’s interpretation”, Am I correct in my thinking?
To say: “God only ‘draws’ a few people and is not trying to draw all people”, makes God out to be very unloving, for no reason is given nor seen, for only drawing a few people.
We agree everyone saved was drawn, but I am saying there are people drawn by God
who refuse His gracious invitation (like those invited to the banquet).
An invitation is not the same as drawing, which is an inner working.

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Clare, it is only the OP interpretation of John 6:44 and 65 which makes God out to be very unloving
Pre-Calvary: The OPs interpretation in his Opening Post (see below) is that the Father's drawing and granting (in John 6:44 & 65) is needed because people have an otherwise inability to come to Christ. But that is not the case, as John 6:45 identifies that the Father was drawing those have (past tense) heard and learned from the Father. The Father chose not to draw people to Christ who were in a wrong relationship with Him. Christ had to be crucified (1 Corinthians 2:8) and that would not have taken place if the Jews, as a whole, came to Christ.

John 6:45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.​

Post Calvary: Christ draws all people to himself. And I submit that this drawing occurs during the preaching of the Gospel.

John 12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.​
Paul says that Satan's blinding, not man's inability (AKA Total Depravity), is responsible for people not coming to Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.​

Reactions: bling
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pre-Calvary: The OPs interpretation in his Opening Post (see below) is that the Father's drawing and granting (in John 6:44 & 65) is needed because people have an otherwise inability to come to Christ. But that is not the case, as John 6:45 identifies that
the Father was drawing those have (past tense) heard and learned from the Father.
Does that exclude that the only way they had previously heard and learned from the Father was by his enablement of them?
The Father chose not to draw people to Christ who were in a wrong relationship with Him.
The right relationship is the result of the Father's work in them.
Christ had to be crucified (1 Corinthians 2:8) and that would not have taken place if the Jews, as a whole, came to Christ.
Nor were they drawn to do so.
John 6:45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’ Therefore everyone who has heard and learned from the Father comes to Me.​
Post Calvary: Christ draws all people to himself. And I submit that this drawing occurs during the preaching of the Gospel.

Paul says that Satan's blinding, not man's inability (AKA Total Depravity), is responsiblefor people not coming to Christ.

2 Corinthians 4:3 And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4 The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.​
They are the same thing, the binding creates the inability.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Pre-Calvary: The OPs interpretation in his Opening Post (see below) is that the Father's drawing and granting (in John 6:44 & 65) is needed because people have an otherwise inability to come to Christ. But that is not the case, as John 6:45 identifies that the Father was drawing those have (past tense) heard and learned from the Father.
Does that exclude that the only way they had previously heard and learned from the Father was by his enablement of them?
The right relationship is the result of the Father's work in them.
Yes, but the Bible shows that God also works personally with some who reject him, such as Cain in Genesis 4, Balaam in Numbers 22-24, and the rich young ruler (Matthew 19).
Paul says that Satan's blinding, not man's inability (AKA Total Depravity), is responsible for people not coming to Christ.

They are the same thing, the binding creates the inability.
We are talking about different things. Satan's blinding in 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 doesn't explain why Calvinist go much further in their teaching on man's inability.

Calvinists claim that all men are born haters of God and enemies of God, which cannot be overcome unless the Holy Spirit first regenerates his nature and makes him preemptively and unconsciously Born Again in order to believe in the gospel.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟826,126.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He was assuming his interpretation.
An invitation is not the same as drawing, which is an inner working.
An invitation to a huge, wonderful banquet as described would be a huge draw.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, but the Bible shows that God also works personally with some who reject him, such as Cain in Genesis 4, Balaam in Numbers 22-24, and the rich young ruler (Matthew 19).
Do we know that he worked internally with them?
He also "worked with" Pharaoh causing him to do God's will, but it wasn't internally and salvific.
We are talking about different things. Satan's blinding in 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 doesn't explain why Calvinist go much further in their teaching on man's inability.
Binding causes inability, but it is not the only thing that causes inability.

We have Jesus' statement on the issue in Jn 14:17 (blindness), and then we have man's absolute powerlessness in Ro 5:6, we have the unrighteousness of everyone without exception in Ps 14:1-3, 53:1-3, 36:1, Ro 3:10, 18, we have the hostility to God of the unregenerate man in Ro 8:7-8, and the foolishness of the things of God to the unregenerate man 1 Co 2:14, 1:18, and all just for starters:

Ro 3:10 - There is no one righteous, not even one (in the sense of NT sinless righteousness).
Ro 8:7-8 - The sinful (unregenerate) mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so.
1 Co 2:14 -
The man without the Spirit (unregenerate) does not accept the things of God, for he cannot understand them, they are foolishness to him, because they are spiritually (require the Holy Spirit) discerned.
Calvinists claim that all men are born haters of God and enemies of God, which cannot be overcome unless the Holy Spirit first regenerates his nature and makes him preemptively and unconsciously Born Again in order to believe in the gospel.
Isn't that what Paul states of the unregenerate man in Ro 5:10, 8:7-8, Col 1:21?

Didn't Jesus say that one can't even see the kingdom of God, much less enter it, without being regenerated (born again) and, which regeneration is based on nothing but the sovereign will and choice of the Holy Spirit, who is as unaccountable as the wind (Jn 3:3-8)?

Do you really think Calvinists are going beyond Scripture in their teaching here?

Upvote 0

John Mullally

Aug 5, 2020
Califormia
✟134,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Do we know that he worked internally with them?
He also "worked with" Pharaoh causing him to do God's will, but it wasn't internally and salvific.
In Genesis 4:6-8, God asked why Cain was angry, warning and encouraging him of potential dangers that he must get under control so that things will go well with him.

The fact that God is acting persuasively shows the independence of Cain. He was his own person, though unfortunately acting contrary to the way in which God felt that he should. The fact that God reasoned with Cain, in that he must “master” the sin that was crouching at this door, shows that God believed that Cain could exercise his autonomous, self-determination in a positive manner. He should be able to control the murderous motives that he felt inside. The fact that God warned Cain what would happen if he failed to control himself shows that God believed that Cain possessed the power of contrary choice, that is, Cain did not have to murder Able, even though that is exactly what he eventually did.

Binding causes inability, but it is not the only thing that causes inability.

We have Jesus' statement on the issue in Jn 14:17 (blindness), and then we have man's absolute powerlessness in Ro 5:6, we have the unrighteousness of everyone without exception in Ps 14:1-3, 53:1-3, 36:1, Ro 3:10, 18, we have the hostility to God of the unregenerate man in Ro 8:7-8, and the foolishness of the things of God to the unregenerate man 1 Co 2:14, 1:18, and all just for starters:

Ro 3:10 - There is no one righteous, not even one (in the sense of NT sinless righteousness).
Ro 8:7-8 - The sinful (unregenerate) mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so.
1 Co 2:14 -
The man without the Spirit (unregenerate) does not accept the things of God, for he cannot understand them, they are foolishness to him, because they are spiritually (require the Holy Spirit) discerned.
Although mankind does not seek God on his own, that is not proof that one cannot reply or respond positively to a God who seeks to save the lost. Moreover, pointing out that mankind are enemies of God, does not mean that we cannot confess our fallen state and reply to His message of reconciliation. There is nothing about being an enemy that implies or necessitates an inability to be reconciled to your enemy, just like there’s nothing about being a slave to sin which implies that you’re incapable of admitting that you’re enslaved when confronted. Just because you are a slave to sin, doesn’t mean that you cannot respond to God who offers to free you.
Isn't that what Paul states of the unregenerate man in Ro 5:10, 8:7-8, Col 1:21?
Believing is what translates us from death into life.

John 5:24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.​
Regeneration is irrelevant to an unbeliever since they do not qualify for it. Regeneration is a spiritual blessing, and Ephesians 1:3 makes it clear that all spiritual blessings are only just for Christians, and thus the spiritual blessing of “regeneration” is blocked—to all except Christians. The purpose of regeneration is so that believers can walk with Christ in a growing relationship.
Didn't Jesus say that one can't even see the kingdom of God, much less enter it, without being regenerated (born again) and, which regeneration is based on nothing but the sovereign will and choice of the Holy Spirit, who is as unaccountable as the wind (Jn 3:3-8)?
Seeing (3:3) or entering (3:5) the kingdom of God refers to entering Heaven itself. Luke 13:28 states: “‘In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out.’” In this sense, the kingdom of God is a place. It’s Heaven. No one can get there unless they are born again. Keep in mind that Nicodemus was already a Jewish believer. So, rather than conveying the idea that one must be made born again in order to believe, a better interpretation is that it is necessary to become born again in order to be allowed entrance into Heaven. Moreover, if the meaning was that unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God—in terms of just understanding it—then why would Jesus criticize Nicodemus? In other words, “It’s not your fault. You haven’t been made born again yet. It may still happen for you, and if it does, it will all make sense to you.”

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,454.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In Genesis 4:6-8, God asked why Cain was angry, warning and encouraging him of potential dangers that he must get under control so that things will go well with him.

The fact that God is acting persuasively shows the independence of Cain. He was his own person, though unfortunately acting contrary to the way in which God felt that he should. The fact that God reasoned with Cain, in that he must “master” the sin that was crouching at this door, shows that God believed that Cain could exercise his autonomous, self-determination in a positive manner.
That is human speculation, we don't know what it shows other than what Scripture reveals about the nature of fallen man.

Was (fallen-man) Pharaoh able to obey God's command from Moses (Ex 4:21)?
He should be able to control the murderous motives that he felt inside. The fact that God warned Cain what would happen if he failed
Jesus likewise warned us of what would happen if we failed to believe, and yet we cannot believe if we are not born again (Jn 3:3-5), and we have nothing to do with our spiritual re-birth just as we have nothing to do with our natural birth. It is all the decision and work of the Holy Spirit in the spiritual birth (Jn 3:6-8) just as it is all the decision and work of our parents in the natural birth.
It worked the same in unregenerate Cain as it works in the unregenerate today (Jn 3:3-5), we are spiritually powerless apart from the enablement of the Holy Spirit in the rebirth.

to control himself shows that God believed that Cain possessed the power of contrary choice, that is, Cain did not have to murder Able, even though that is exactly what he eventually did.
Cain possessed power to obey that command no more than we possess power to obey the command to believe, because belief depends on the new birth which we have no power to effect.

The commands are given to all but only the born again can obey them.
Although mankind does not seek God on his own, that is not proof that one cannot reply or respond positively to a God who seeks to save the lost.
We do respond positively when the Holy Spirit enables that response in us. Apart from the Holy Spirit, there is no such response (Jn 3:3-5).
Moreover, pointing out that mankind are enemies of God, does not mean that we cannot confess our fallen state and reply to His message of reconciliation. There is nothing about being an enemy that implies or necessitates an inability to be reconciled to your enemy, just like there’s nothing about being a slave to sin which implies that you’re incapable of admitting that you’re enslaved when confronted. Just because you are a slave to sin, doesn’t mean that you cannot respond to God who offers to free you.
Believing is what translates us from death into life.

John 5:24 “Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life.​
Regeneration is irrelevant to an unbeliever since they do not qualify for it.
Regeneration is a spiritual blessing, and Ephesians 1:3 makes it clear that all spiritual blessings are only just for Christians, and thus the spiritual blessing of “regeneration” is blocked—to all except Christians. The purpose of regeneration is so that believers can walk with Christ in a growing relationship.
There are no believers until regeneration occurs. Prior to that we are spiritually, dead, deaf and blind and cannot act spiritually.

The order is: regeneration --> faith --> salvation --> justification (forensic righteousness)--> sanctification (actual righteous) --> death
Seeing (3:3) or entering (3:5) the kingdom of God refers to entering Heaven itself. Luke 13:28 states: “‘In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but yourselves being thrown out.’” In this sense, the kingdom of God is a place. It’s Heaven.
Actually, Jesus said
the kingdom of God is here now (Lk 11:20, Mt 12:28),
it is not of this world (Jn 18:36),
it is of the spiritual world, invisible and within (Lk 17:20-21) the hearts where he reigns and rules.
It being everlasting (Lk 1:33) and never ending (Da 2:44), there is no other kingdom of God to come.
No one can get there unless they are born again. Keep in mind that Nicodemus was already a Jewish believer. So, rather than conveying the idea that one must be made born again in order to believe, a better interpretation is that it is necessary to become born again in order to be allowed entrance into Heaven.
Nicodemus was not a believer in Jesus Christ, which is what is necessary for the kingdom of God.
Moreover, if the meaning was that unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God—in terms of just understanding it—then why would Jesus criticize Nicodemus? In other words, “It’s not your fault. You haven’t been made born again yet. It may still happen for you, and if it does, it will all make sense to you.”
Jesus chided Nicodemus for being a teacher and not understanding cleansing and renewal, being "born of water and the Spirit" (Jn 3:5), for not picking up on Jesus' reference to Eze 36:25-27, 37:1-14, 18:31 in that regard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0