Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To one hundred percent trust Christ and to love Him as much as He loves me? I really want to but I still have a little bit of doubt that I'm fighting.
We won't get there until we see Him [1 John 3:2].

Until then,

"He has shown you, O man, what is good;
And what does the Lord require of you
  • But to do justly,
  • To love mercy,
  • And to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8 NKJV

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,926,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
To one hundred percent trust Christ and to love Him as much as He loves me? I really want to but I still have a little bit of doubt that I'm fighting. :(
Hello @April_Rose, unfortunately, I don't believe that's possible on this side of the grave. That's why the Lord prayed that the Father would sanctify us, and why we are commanded to lay aside our old self/old nature, renew our minds, and choose to put on our new self/new nature, day by day/moment by moment (to help get us closer and closer to such lofty desires/closer and closer to Him) .. e.g. John 17:17; Romans 12:2; Ephesians 4:22-24.

Here's a wonderful command for you to follow, with a wonderful promise from God that He will fulfill if you do.

Psalm 37
4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Fill your mind with His word (for me, that meant including Scripture memory work as one of my spiritual disciplines) and look for other ways to practice His presence in your life (as this will help you keep the eyes of your heart and of your mind turned towards Him). Verses like these may prove to be helpful .. e.g. Philippians 4:4-8; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.

So, wherever you are, whoever you are with, and whatever you are doing, always choose to look for Him and be thankful to Him for even the smallest and most insignificant of things in this world/in your life ... even for the difficulties you face (as you are able to) .. Romans 8:28 :)

God bless you!

--David

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Just chunk it down to one or two little things day by day, and do them nicely. This is just me but I picture Jesus hanging about and enjoying it when I do something a way I think passably and don't get hung up. We should talk to Him about our needs and those of those close to us in the church and just government (without giving Him a detailed "briefing").

Reactions: April_Rose
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
To one hundred percent trust Christ and to love Him as much as He loves me? I really want to but I still have a little bit of doubt that I'm fighting. :(
God's love is poured into our hearts by the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5) God expects NOTHING from us. Lord Jesus does not only give us forgiveness of sins. He also deals with the problem of the sinner (pretty drastic - we die!). Then, through His resurrection, He gives us new life. If we will come to know the Lord Jesus as that new life (He is The Life) then our problems evaporate. We can love God with the love that Lord Jesus gives us to love Him with. God is entirely pleased with that.

Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it is not possible to love God like He loves you!!!!

If it were we would not be sinner, but we are. So Jesus Christ, because of the love that God has for us, came down out of heaven, took on flesh, and went to the cross. Not that He killed Himself, but that He knew we people kill Him because we don't love Him like He loves us.

So what are we to do?

Sit at His feet and listen to Him. If we listen to Him we will learn to love Him more! Oh yeah - we are still not going to love Him like He loves us, but if you listen to Him you are going to start loving Him more. And the more you actually listen to Him, the more you will actually love Him.

This is why the foremost command from God is not to love the Lord your God with all your heart but to hear what He has to say to you.

Oh??? You didn't know that "Hear, O Israel" was the foremost command?

The first command in the Law is to love the Lord your God with all your heart, but you can't keep the Law. So the foremost command is "Hear, O Israel" because that will help you fulfill the Law.

Mark 12: 29 Jesus answered, “The foremost is, ‘HEAR, O ISRAEL! THE LORD OUR GOD IS ONE LORD;

You see this same commandment to "Hear, O Israel" from Moses

Deut 6:4 “Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!

And you are supposed to write that command on your door post.

Deut 6:9 “You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

So the Jews have a little thing they put on their physical doorpost with "Hear, O Israel" in it. Of course God is spirit, and you are the temple or house of God so really it needs to be posted on your heart, spiritually speaking.

If "Hear, O Israel" is posted on your heart so that everyday you remember to turn to our Lord Jesus Christ and listen to what He says to you, you will learn to love Him more and more. Still, you are not God. Only God is good, and God is love. So don't hit yourself in your head, spiritually speaking, just because you are not Him. It is enough that you know Him because you believe in Him and thus listen to what He has to say to you. :)

Upvote 0

ShirlieTemple

Sep 20, 2020
lango
✟849.00
Country
Eritrea
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mark 9:23
Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

Upvote 0

kvolm

Feb 28, 2018
SoCal
✟17,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your desire is beautiful and God-given. Your doubt is normal and part of our sin nature which we continue to battle throughout our lifetime. When those doubts arise, what do you do to battle them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of us it is written, that all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God!

Of God it is written that only God is good.

Now of Jesus we know that He is the Word of God who was in the beginning with God and is God. He explained that He did and said only what the Father told Him - thus He is the Word of God, because the Father has given Him all things including the very words of God, and He trusts the Father so much that He does and says only what the Father tells Him.

Abram heard Him, the word of the Lord, speak to Him in a vision (Gen 15) and Abram believe the One talking to Him was the Lord. That belief was counted to Abram as righteousness. So Abram did not trust the Lord 100%, but was still counted as righteous simply because he heard and believed, not because he was actually righteous.

Now we should try to be like Him, but we are going to be like the angels in heaven. They hear from the Lord and go about doing what they tells them, but even they are not the Word of God and God.

So someone thinks they can trust God 100 % - well let them be the Word of God who does and says only what they hear! That would be the proof that they were actually trusting the Lord 100%. Try it; you won't be able to do it, but that is not what makes you counted as being righteous, lucky for you. You are saved by faith, not by 100% trust in God so that you only do and say what the Lord tells you at all times.

I once told the Lord that I was only going to say and do what He told me, and He instantly told me that I was not made to be the Word of God, He was. It was enough that I believed in Him. So believe in Him, so that you do seek Him and do try and do what He tells you. Do it the best you can, but don't think that you are made to be Him. You are made to know Him, serve Him, have a personal relationship with Him, and to believe in Him as the Word of God and God. God did not lie when He said the only God is good. If you could trust the Lord 100% like Jesus Christ, then you would be God. It is enough that you know and believe in Him, then you will be like the angels in heaven.

• Useful
Upvote 0

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Mark 9:23
Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

Mark 9: 22 - 24 “It has often thrown him both into the fire and into the water to destroy him. But if You can do anything, take pity on us and help us!” And Jesus said to him, “ ‘If You can?’ All things are possible to him who believes.” Immediately the boy’s father cried out and said, “I do believe; help my unbelief.”

A few things to note in the above verses. One is the the man asked the Lord to take pity on us.

We need the Lord to take pity on us, because we need His help, but where do we need His help most, is it not in our unbelief?

Then Jesus said, "If you can", meaning if you can believe - then all things are possible to him who believes.

If this man then had 100 % belief to the point that all things were possible, why did he keep talking to Jesus?

So the boy's father then cried that he did believe but also asked Jesus to help his unbelief.

The man knew He had some belief, and that is obvious because he came to Jesus believing his son would be healed. Still, the man also knew he had some unbelief, so not 100 % belief, and thus asked Jesus for help with that problem of his.

This is how it is with us also. We need some mercy and grace (pity) from Jesus Christ. So we come to Him for help. We come to Him because we realize that though we believe, our belief still needs help. We should believe and trust 100%, but even Jesus put forth the question, "If you can".

You understand that the question, "If you can" was not for His information. Jesus knew where his belief was, so it was a rhetorical question made to get the man to think. So it is not a question to say you can, but a question to realize you need help. The boys father consider the question and came to the conclusion that he believed, but still he needed help with his belief, so he knew his belief was certainly not 100 %.

The point is, that if you think your belief is 100% you have not considered the question. The fact is that though you have some belief, you still need Jesus to increase it for things to happen!!

We need Jesus Christ. All things are possible with Him, but without Him you have problems. You need His help - even His help to increase your faith.

Upvote 0

April_Rose

Jul 4, 2020
Ohio
✟23,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Engaged
Trust him 100%? Possible. Love him as much as he loves you? I don't know, we're talking about God here. I think the closest a person can come to that is martyrdom.

Who??

Hello @April_Rose, unfortunately, I don't believe that's possible on this side of the grave. That's why the Lord prayed that the Father would sanctify us, and why we are commanded to lay aside our old self/old nature, renew our minds, and choose to put on our new self/new nature, day by day/moment by moment (to help get us closer and closer to such lofty desires/closer and closer to Him) .. e.g. John 17:17; Romans 12:2; Ephesians 4:22-24.

Here's a wonderful command for you to follow, with a wonderful promise from God that He will fulfill if you do.

Psalm 37
4 Delight yourself in the Lord, and He will give you the desires of your heart.

Fill your mind with His word (for me, that meant including Scripture memory work as one of my spiritual disciplines) and look for other ways to practice His presence in your life (as this will help you keep the eyes of your heart and of your mind turned towards Him). Verses like these may prove to be helpful .. e.g. Philippians 4:4-8; 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18.

So, wherever you are, whoever you are with, and whatever you are doing, always choose to look for Him and be thankful to Him for even the smallest and most insignificant of things in this world/in your life ... even for the difficulties you face (as you are able to) .. Romans 8:28 :)

God bless you!

--David

Thanks, God bless you as well but I don't quite understand. :confused:

Your desire is beautiful and God-given. Your doubt is normal and part of our sin nature which we continue to battle throughout our lifetime. When those doubts arise, what do you do to battle them?

Pray. :prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,748.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Who or what is martyrdom?
Martyrom is the act of becoming a martyr. In Christianity, to qualify as a martyr, you die for your faith. As in, if people near you want to murder Christians, and they catch you, and you affirm that you're a Christian and they kill you for it, you become a martyr. This is hard, people could often choose to lie and live a little longer, but a martyr will refuse because he doesn't want to deny the faith.

"So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, but whoever denies me before men, I also will deny before my Father who is in heaven." - Matthew 10:32-33

And the real reason I brought it up:

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." - John 15:12-13

Jesus laid down his life for us, and chose to do it, continuing to do so when it was hard - when he was being beaten, then scourged, then crucified. The closest we can come to loving him as he loved us is to lay our lives down for him literally, when we choose to acknowledge Christ even though it means more pain and earlier death for us. Now, you don't seek that out like a fool, the Apostles didn't do that. It's also good to get away from that as long as you don't have to lie about your faith to do it (Acts 8:1-4). But when it comes down to either die for the faith or deny the faith, the thing to do is die for it, that is probably the ultimate act of love a person can do for God.

• Informative
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,926,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks, God bless you as well but I don't quite understand. :confused:
Hello April_Rose, sorry about that. Let me know which parts of my post you're having trouble understanding .. or do you mean that it's the entire post that you're struggling with? Whatever it is, just let me know, and I'll try to clear things up for you :)

Thanks!

--David

• Friendly
Upvote 0
Jun 16, 2020
London
✟106,444.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

... with God all things are possible."

Upvote 0

ISteveB

Sep 17, 2020
Northern Nevada
✟25,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
is it possible?
Yes.....
Is it common..... I don't think so. I think doubt is part of the human experience. Doubt is not the same as disbelief. Where disbelief is a willful, deliberate saying No to God, in spite of his making himself/will known.
I like the desperate father, of the abused child, where Jesus said--- if you believe, all things are possible to him who believes. The father cries out in apparent exasperation-- I believe! Help my unbelief!

the question is best served by Jesus' response--- With God, all things are possible.

I find myself wondering, and it's been my own experience (30+ years of struggling with doubt, and finally saying-- I believe, help my unbelief!), if you're not as acquainted with scripture, and with what biblical faith actually consists of.

biblical faith is not an emotional thing, though emotions are part of it.
Biblical faith is believing what God has said.
So, what has God said?
Is God talking today, in audible terms, which we're supposed to hear? Jesus did after all say--- my sheep hear my voice.
But what is his voice? Isn't his voice what he's already stated beforehand? I.e., the bible.
He does say in John 6--- my words are spirit, and they are life.
One of our jobs as followers of Jesus is to learn the bible.
As God tells us in Hosea 4:6, his people perish because of a lack of knowledge.
In Proverbs 29:18, where there is no revelation, people cast off restraint. But happy are those who keep the Law.
In Psalm 111:10, we read that those who fear God and keep his commandments have a good understanding.
We further read in 2 Timothy 1:7 that God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power, love and clear thinking.

So..... yes. it is indeed possible. It's possible because with God, ALL things are possible.
Remember what Paul tells us in Romans 10--- faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

If you're a reader, I'd like to provide you with a couple of books. They're written by a theologian/philosopher, who writes on biblical issues. He did his PhD on the resurrection of Jesus.
His name is Gary Habermas.
His book page is- Dr. Gary R. Habermas - Online Resource for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ

the two books are:
Dealing with Doubt.
The Thomas Factor: using your doubts to draw closer to God.

If you prefer hard copy, you can buy them on amazon, or your preferred book seller's site. Or, if you prefer an ebook format, you can download or read them online.

God is not afraid of your doubts. He's not going to slap you around for having doubts. According to Isaiah 1:18, 41:1, 21, he welcomes you to come, and hash them out with him.

Upvote 0