Shubunkin

Antiochian Orthodox Christian
Jun 18, 2005
✟17,565.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I didn't say that, though. I give up trying to explain myself; you'll just have to believe that there's no bad intent in my generalization, and that's it.
I believe it. We have a lady from the Greek Orthodox Church that comes and visits our Antiochian parish every once in a while. She tells me her husband says quite plainly that one cannot be Orthodox if one is not Greek! She says that is ridiculous, of course. I'm sure not all Greeks feel that way, but if one once in awhile turns up, it may make it look like the Greek Orthodox all feel that way. It is a matter of perspective.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,770.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yes there are ignorant people who confuse faith and nationalism - they need some pastoral guidance - personally I think a Bishop with a megaphone and baseball bat would be good for them.

Just don't pay attention to them when they go off like that. All of us are messed up in one way or another.

That said, I was Chrismated into OCA, but am now MP, so it's all good (as long as it's canonical - heck, now I can recommend ROCOR, Whoo-hoo!).

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Akathist

Theology Team
Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2004
USA
✟70,418.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This website is a great one to find a local cononical parish: http://orthodoxyinamerica.org/

BTW, to everyone else. I have NEVER heard the word "Synod" used in reference to Orthodoxy. Is this something I missed?

Is this just a different word for "jurisdiction"?

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes there are ignorant people who confuse faith and nationalism - they need some pastoral guidance - personally I think a Bishop with a megaphone and baseball bat would be good for them.

Just don't pay attention to them when they go off like that. All of us are messed up in one way or another.

That said, I was Chrismated into OCA, but am now MP, so it's all good (as long as it's canonical - heck, now I can recommend ROCOR, Whoo-hoo!).
Christ himself said that, when he said "there is neither Jew, nor Greek...."

Upvote 0

DavidBryan

El indigno siervo de Dios, el lector David
Sep 14, 2006
Visit site
✟15,649.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
BTW, to everyone else. I have NEVER heard the word "Synod" used in reference to Orthodoxy. Is this something I missed?

Is this just a different word for "jurisdiction"?

A Synod is the college of bishops in a particular jurisdiction/regional/national church. For example, here is the page for the holy synod of bishops in the OCA.

Upvote 0

repentant

Orthodoxy: Debunking heretics since 33 A.D.
Sep 2, 2005
US of A
✟8,687.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Dear Misha,

If you prefer an old calendar church within the russian tradition i suggest you attend a ROCOR parish, if you want one in the greek tradition i suggest going to ST. Anthonys Monastery in Arizona but not sure if its near you. I have no problem recommending an old calendar greek synod but the matthewites are not one of them.

Since matthewites interpret canons in the most rigid sense its only natural to apply the same rigidity to them since this is what the Lord commands (Matt 7.1-5). If you know the history of the Matthewites and canons pertaining to ordination, then you know they have NO apostolic succession.

In california there are also a few parishes under the Jerusalem patriarchate, they too can satisfy your purist leanings.

St. Anthony's is about an hour or so from Tempe..but St. Anthony's is not old calendar in calendar, but in Tradition..well it's pure Athonite Tradition, since it is a Monastery...but it is also very Traditional in it's teaching's..just so you know..but I agree, he should go..

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have to agree. I don't think it's one bit fair to say one church is more accepting than others. Maybe one of those things that should be stream lined at TAW. It completely depends on the church, not the jurisdiction. I've gone to Greek and Antiochian churches were people wouldn't say Hello to you even if you paid them, and I've been to the same where people are very friendly. Most Russian churches I've visited have been very friendly and I've never heard of one where there isn't a soul who speaks English.
If it's canonical, no church is better than another. It's the people at that church who makes it more welcoming than others so it just cannot be streamlined.
I agree.

What's funny is if I were to have to stereotype a Church that were most open, I guess it would be the OCA. But, when I see that others stereotype differently, this automatically shows me that my assumption is absurd and overgeneralized. In general, however, I can say that nearly every parish I have been to has been welcoming in its own way.

It depends greatly on the person going also. My wife (when she wasn't even yet my girlfriend) was VERY turned off by a convert parish she first visited because everyone was a little wierd (what can I say, the people at this parish are great... but they are a little wierd lol) as well as overbearing (overly-helpful). it was too much for her. I've taken other people to that parish and they loved that.

We later (when she mustered up the courage to go to another Orthodox parish - she was already convinced that Orthodoxy was wierd and that it seemed a bit.. cultic from her one experience) went to antoher parish that would normally be labelled as "cold" by many visitors. But she loved it. Nobody gave her "harassed" her or was overbearing. They let her do her thing. Later she had a question fro the priest and the priest was fantastic at answering her questions.

I think more times than not, how cold or welcoming a parish is in the eye of the beholder. I think the OP would be an exception to this, but as a general rule, if we think people are cold just becuase they aren't uber curious about us is perhaps more of a reflection on ourselves (and not a positive one). I know this was at least true for me.

But, certainly, some Churches can just be cold and that's so sad for so many reasons.

John

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
John, your wife sounds like me. I was once freaked out by a parish because they were overly friendly. It just struck me as fake. But I have a friend who expects that from a church, and doesn't like my home parish, which I love, because nobody seems to notice when she visits.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If that group is schismatic then no wonder the priest was so weird.... How can you gossip about the new commer during coffee hour it beats me....lol... I cannot see a GOA priest doing that... sorry folks. About juristrictions I do not believe in stereotyping either. The parishes are all different depending on the people, the congregation. Other are friendly and they are mostly one ethnic background and other are not. Also expectations may vary. others love a friendly church others do not. We cannot classify one juristiction more friendly than others either. I have been to Greek parishes that were unfriendly and OCA where they welcomed everyone. I got to confess that even being Greek there are instances that I felt more welcome at OCA parishes. I guess Russians have been in America longer are more accepting. Greeks tend to be a little reserved when it comes to newcomers, especially in remote areas where converts are fewer. But we cannot make any sort of generalizations regardless.
Reference to the OP I would defenately try and OCA church in your area and/or an Antiochean and also the Monastery if you are close by. But keep in mind that whererver you go it will take some time to get adjusted. New comers always feel uneasy the first few Sundays. And this time make also an appointment to meet with the priest first, it always helps to know someone already when you get there. I know that my husband loves to meet with newcomers before they attend his church that gives him a chance to introduce them to the community, and if they want, he makes an announcement at the end of the service. That takes the tension from the first visit as people would come and introduce themselves to you first.

Hope that helps,

Philothei

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This was to Toddbert but I didn't realize he had already gotten the third degree... so I'll lay off :)
How is it giving someone the third degree by standing up for my church against the biogtry inherent in his comments?

Upvote 0

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How is it giving someone the third degree by standing up for my church against the biogtry inherent in his comments?
Chill out mike. I liked your post. I wrote one very similar to yours. I just realized later on that you and others had already got adfter him for his unfair unjustified generalization.

The "third degree" remark was said a bit tongue and cheek. Hence the smiley.

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Chill out mike. I liked your post. I wrote one very similar to yours. I just realized later on that you and others had already got adfter him for his unfair unjustified generalization.

The "third degree" remark was said a bit tongue and cheek. Hence the smiley.
Sorry, I just find no room for comments of that kind within Orthodox Christianity. I am not an OCA Christian or an Antiochian Orthodox Christian, I am an Orthodox Christian and find no issue praying with any other canonical Orthodox Christian. That is the way it should be for everyone, and sadly it is not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Xpycoctomos

Aug 15, 2004
Midwest
✟13,419.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You know, TAW used to be quite snooty when it came to the GOA accusing it of being overly ethnic and cold, etc (I'm not saying your were this way) and we were the same way with ROCOR. I happy to see that this has past and we are much more sensative to this nowadays. I think our brother in Christ (who wasn't here in those days) was not trying to offend, but just speaking from his personal experience assuming that it was somehow representative of the true sitaution in the Church. Just as many of us never meant to offend others with our ignorant judgemental comments, he was not trying to offend anyone with his observations. I am sure that he whole-heartedly agrees with you without hesitation that we are all equally Orthodox regardless of the canonical jurisdiction we belong to. Nothing in his posts (that I have read) suggests otherwise and his comment was purely a by the side comment that I am sure has little meaning to him.

John

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know, TAW used to be quite snooty when it came to the GOA accusing it of being overly ethnic and cold, etc (I'm not saying your were this way) and we were the same way with ROCOR. I happy to see that this has past and we are much more sensative to this nowadays. I think our brother in Christ (who wasn't here in those days) was not trying to offend, but just speaking from his personal experience assuming that it was somehow representative of the true sitaution in the Church. Just as many of us never meant to offend others with our ignorant judgemental comments, he was not trying to offend anyone with his observations. I am sure that he whole-heartedly agrees with you without hesitation that we are all equally Orthodox regardless of the canonical jurisdiction we belong to. Nothing in his posts (that I have read) suggests otherwise and his comment was purely a by the side comment that I am sure has little meaning to him.

John
The only ones who would be more Orthodox than anyone would be German Orthodox, but I won't get into that one....:D

Upvote 0

Michael G

Abe Frohmann
Feb 22, 2004
Six-burgh, Pa
Visit site
✟95,591.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
LOL :) Hey, I'm still in the market to buy a copy of St. Wolfgang if you ever have time (I knwo you're busy). Check your PM.
That icon will be begun within the next week or so. Heiliger Wolfgang beten an uns.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.