Is this correct? Missing scripture referenced?

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I read somewhere that there are scriptures referred to, or something from them mentioned, in the NT that are not included in the Bible we have now...
✝️Is this the case?
✝️What is missing?
✝️ Are they lost?
There is nothing missing that would be significant to your salvation, everything you need is right there, hope this answers your question if not just keep repeating it from time to time.

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
There is nothing missing that would be significant to your salvation,
It would still be nice to know enough... If Jesus or the disciples referred to scriptures or teachings, it would be helpful to know what they were talking about. If it is being referred to in a positive way then there must have been authority in it, it must have been true scripture and it might have significance for modern Christians.

I wonder if anybody here knows anything about this...?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I read somewhere that there are scriptures referred to, or something from them mentioned, in the NT that are not included in the Bible we have now...
✝️Is this the case?
✝️What is missing?
✝️ Are they lost?

The Bible doesn't refer to [sacred] scriptures that aren't included in the Bible, as by definition what is in the Bible is Sacred Scripture in Christianity, and anything not in the Bible is not.

But the Bible does mention people and written works, referring to or even quoting them in certain contexts. But when someone quotes someone or a written work, the only thing it means is that they quoted someone or a written work. The fact that the quote or reference occurs in a book of the Bible doesn't change anything in that regard.

So the answer is that there's nothing missing in the Bible, as the Bible is defined by the Christian Church, and it contains exactly those books which the Church has historically received as Scripture down through the centuries. The only real area of discussion on that front is over the status of the Deuterocanonical books of the Old Testament (the books found in Catholic and Orthodox Bibles, but not in most Protestant Bibles).

Some of the works referenced in places in the Bible are lost. Arguably one of the most famous of these is the book of Jasher (or book of the Upright when translated). It is an entirely lost work, but it's not a "lost book of the Bible" since at no point was such a book ever received or accepted as a sacred text. By the time Jews and Christians were bothering to have a canon of sacred texts, the work was already no longer around, or if it was, nobody bothers talking about it.

That's a really important point, a canon of scripture is something produced by a community, in the case of the Jewish Tanakh, it is the product of the Jewish community. In the case of the Christian Bible, it is the product of the Christian community, the Church. And so what such a canon of scripture contains is up to the community, and in the case of the Christian Bible, that process was in the form of which books were to be read as part of the Liturgy, and over the centuries a consensus arose--and even from a very early date, much of that consensus already existed, by the time we see Christians talking about such things, there was already a Biblical Canon that looks a lot like what we still have. Questions on the matter were only dealing with a handful of books, in the case of the New Testament, we call those historically disputed books the Antilegomena. Some of the Antilegomena did eventually attain a universal consensus, while a few didn't. In the modern era, disputes still exist concerning the Deuterocanonical books, as mentioned earlier.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,799.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Mmmmm?

But if Jesus, or the apostles, regarded a book as scripture or taught from it as the word of God... then it's the word of God.

The fact that there is any debate at all about what books are in or out of the Bible suggests that this is the decision of men not God.
This is merely tradition, it's not biblical.

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
✝️Is this the case?
✝️What is missing?
✝️ Are they lost?
The Bible is far too big. We should be looking to shorten it.

As for texts referred to in the scripture, here are some missing letters and books.

The Book of Jasher is mentioned in Joshua 10:13 and 2 Samuel 1:18 and also referenced in 2 Timothy 3:8.[1]

Book of Enoch (Jude 1:4, 1:6, 1:13, 1:14–15,[22], 2 Peter 2:4; 3:13,[23][24] and John 7:38 [25]).

The Book of Jannes and Jambres, according to Origen (2 Timothy 3:8 "... as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses")

Epistle to the Laodiceans (Colossians 4:16 "read the epistle from Laodicea")

Life of Adam and Eve (2 Corinthians 11:14 "Satan as an angel of light", 12:2 "Third Heaven")[26]

A lost section of the Assumption of Moses (2 Timothy 3:8, Jude 9 "Michael.. body of Moses")

Martyrdom of Isaiah (Hebrews 11:37 "they were sawn in two")

Paul's letter to the Corinthians before 1 Corinthians (1 Corinthians 5:9 "I wrote to you in my letter...")

Paul’s letter to the Ephesians before Ephesians (Ephesians 3:3 “As I wrote afore in few words...”)
(wikipedia.non-canonical-books)

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Mmmmm?

But if Jesus, or the apostles, regarded a book as scripture or taught from it as the word of God... then it's the word of God.

But simply quoting something doesn't mean the author regards a particular work as such. I quote a lot of things, but that doesn't mean everything I quote I regard to be divinely inspired. As far as what Jesus and the Apostles regarded as Scripture, well what they regarded as Scripture is in the Bible.

The fact that there is any debate at all about what books are in or out of the Bible suggests that this is the decision of men not God.
This is merely tradition, it's not biblical.

The Canon is tradition. And human beings are involved in that process. But that does not exclude God's providential work, and the Holy Spirit's guidance in the Church on the subject.

This is really only theoretically a problem for certain strains of Protestantism adhering to very specific views about the Bible. From an historic, mainstream Christian POV, that something is tradition doesn't make that thing bad. Only a handful of certain modern Protestant traditions subscribe to the idea that tradition is a bad thing rather than a good thing.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0