Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So tonight I'm perusing over my facebook feed, and I see this post from an old friend of mine talking about how she stopped being friends with someone who called a kid she knew "evil" because they were "non-binary".

In case you're unfamiliar with the term, nonbinary is part of the whole trans thing that's been gaining momentum over the past couple of years. Basically it means that you don't really "identify" as either a boy or a girl. You're your own thing.

Now, I think it's nonsense to call a kid who's questioning things and/or going through whatever phase there may be "evil".

So then some other lady pops in and says "I know 4 kids who are trans"...which is kind of where my thought here is going to start.

In a lot of ways, the whole trans thing gives me problems in a way that most other issues don't...and for a variety of reasons.
  1. It seems to be a growing thing. I'm a software developer and one of my jobs is developing mobile apps. Part of my job is to keep abreast of new social media apps - so every now and then I have to see what's popular/download it/evaluate what's good about it/bad about it/etc.

One of the things about social apps is that you see what a lot of people are talking about on the feeds. When you see the LGBT feeds - it seems that there really aren't any more LGB people...lol It's ALLLLLLL T for the most part. It's like every other post is "I'm soooo confused about my gender identity and sexuality". And it's a LOT of those posts.

Then you get some lady saying that she knows 4 kids that are trans? How many kids do you know - where you can end up with 4 being trans? lol Are you a teacher? Because if you're just some lady running around out there with your own kids and getting a sample group from random kids they may know - that's gotta be a pretty high percent. At least more than I would think would be a naturally occurring thing. I've got 2 kids of my own - and I think I at best can identify 10 other kids. Only maybe 3 of which I know their names. lol

But you know 4 kids that are trans?
  2. They're a pernicious group - in a way that others aren't. For example, gay people give me no problems. I can understand gay people. I love my wife, she's a woman. Bob over there loves Steve, and he's a man. So far as I can tell - it's the same feeling - applied in a different direction. So I can kinda "get" gay people.

And gay people have never asked for a thing from me or asked me to change how I look at things. You're probably thinking "but gay marriage!!!" - but I don't agree. I've got no problems with gay people walking into a secular courthouse and getting whatever label they want applied to them to be granted the same legal rights straight people have. That gives me no issues - and I do not think that's asking a thing of me.

Trans people aren't the same. In their ideal world - they would have me change how I look at what defines a man and a woman to accommodate them. In other words - I (if I were single) should be open to dating a biological man who "identifies" as a woman...and if I've got problems with the penis being there - then I'm "transphobic". Because - "trans women are real women". So they do want/expect things from others - in a way that's pretty big and foundational - that other groups don't ask.
  3. For the life of me - I don't understand what the heck they're talking about. Don't get me wrong. I understand the terminology, the language they use, the arguments they make, etc. But it doesn't make sense to me. Going back to the "understanding gays" part I said above - I'm not gay - but I can envision the gay experience. Meaning - I can understand the feeling of love - and envision it applied just in a different direction.

I DON'T understand the gender stuff - in the slightest.

What do you mean you "feel like a man" or "feel like woman"? The only thing that *I* understand is what it feels like to be me. I happen to be a man. But - I couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty if you were to throw my consciousness into RDKirk's experience - that there would be any similarity. Or that if you were to throw my consciousness into MkGal's or TropicalWild's experience - that I would go "Oh wow - this is so much different". Or that RDKirk's way of experiencing the world on a qualitative level (feeling) would be more similar to mine than that of MkGal's or TropicalWild's.

I don't know that there's some distinctive difference between the two sexes where one feels one way and the other feels another. Nobody does. My experience is limited to one thing - myself. So is everyone else's. So the idea that people think they can compare what it feels like to be "this" or "that" doesn't make any sense to me.

What is it (as a biological girl who identifies as a man) exactly that you identify with that's male? Is it how men are culturally expected to behave relative to how women are culturally expected to behave? Is it the clothing? Is it some core "feeling" you think is "male" vs. "female"? I don't get it - and nobody if asked can give a decent answer to that. Most of the time it's some vague stuff like "Well, I remember wondering what it might be like to be a little girl picking flowers as a child" or something like that. Or "I always preferred to play with boys instead of other little girls".
So what exactly then would be the difference between what we used to call being a "tomboy" vs. "nonbinary"? Has society ever been "binary" truly? I'm nearly 50. There were plenty of tomboy girls running around when I was a kid. I guess the difference is that the tomboy girl never really thought "I'm a boy". They'd run, play, be involved in sports, climb trees, do all of the "boy" things, but they still accepted they were a girl.

Heck - my aunt was a tomboy - and she was born in 1916. I have pictures of her running around in torn up pants, t-shirts, etc...much to my grandparent's chagrin. But it was perfectly normal then as well. Literature is full of them - heck - Mark Twain wrote about Hellfire Hotchkiss.

It seems to me that at least on the "girl" side - there's always been an acceptance of bending the gender-rules. Boys - ehhhh - not as much...lol But - that's a different topic altogether.

So it seems to me that a lot of these people are taking what was always within the normal realm - and pretty much blowing it into odd new proportions...and once again...it does pose me problems...because the consequences are different.

I've always thought that I'd like to have a tomboy as a daughter. But ya know, I don't want a tomboy who then comes to me and says "Because I like to climb trees, I'm actually a boy, nature did me wrong, so how about some hormone therapy, dad?" Or... "Because I like to wear pants and don't like to wear dresses, I think you should allow me to be prescribed some puberty blockers."

...and that does seem to be the direction that a lot of this is stuff is headed.

I dunno - what do you think?

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I agree with a lot of what you said - pretty much all of it, really. The way I understand things, the trans people who -- now I hope no one takes this the wrong way because I'm talking impressions and opinion here, not fact -- the trans people who I see as the most authentic are people who have always felt inside like the opposite gender. It wasn't a cultural thing where they liked to play with dolls or trucks, or they liked dresses or sports. It was more an actual identification thing, where they saw dad and felt they were like him instead of like mom, or vice versa, where they saw their own anatomy and felt it didn't fit or didn't belong. It wasn't just being attracted to the same gender, making them gay, it was feeling like they were actually the opposite gender and were straight.

It's a very different description of the thinking and feelings than what I see so much of today, which is what I mean by authentic. It seems like being trans, or maybe it's more being fluid / non-binary, is very much the in thing to be. It's like, "I'm curious, I'm going through a lot of adolescent stuff, I'm told I can be anything I want to be, so maybe I'll try being this for a while." And then, they start identifying as fluid or non-binary, and there is a TON of positive reinforcement that comes with that today, and it is powerful.

I guess I feel like I'm probably going to come off as bigoted too, but I don't mean to be. I just think people are adding a whole lot of confusion into their kids' lives with some of the messages they are sending, which are reinforced by the positive attention in the media, and I feel like a huge percentage of it is inauthentic or a passing stage.

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟698,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that is bigoted at all. I feel the same way. To me, gender is black and white. It's simple genetics. You are either chromosomally a man or chromosomally a woman. No amount of surgeries will change that. The problem is the stereotypes people place on gender, or perceive to be placed on gender. If a guy wants to wear pink and sequins, more power to him. I personally don't like that fashion choice, but there are a lot of women's fashion choices I don't like either. It breaks my heart that the world is so lost that they cannot find the special things about being their own gender, no matter what stereotypes they do or do not fit. I hate that society is pumping the "You must believe what we believe or you are a bigot" because it is so confusing for our children and teenagers. How are they supposed to grow up knowing who they are and what role they are supposed to fill in life if they are constantly told that they have to change their beliefs to accept everything other than tradition?

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Exactly.

And the weird ways people take it.

Like I saw this one parent being vilified because they wouldn't allow their kid to go on puberty blockers. What? I wouldn't do that.

The LAST thing I would want is my kid coming to me when they were 35 years old saying "My junk is underdeveloped and non-functional. My life is ruined. Why did you let me take those drugs, dad?"

"Because you told me at 12 years old that you liked to play with dolls, and therefore you thought you were a girl. What was I supposed to do? Oppress you?"

"Maybe be my parent and protect me from juvenile bad decisions."

Ya know?

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
✟698,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exactly.

And the weird ways people take it.

Like I saw this one parent being vilified because they wouldn't allow their kid to go on puberty blockers. What? I wouldn't do that.

The LAST thing I would want is my kid coming to me when they were 35 years old saying "My junk is underdeveloped and non-functional. My life is ruined. Why did you let me take those drugs, dad?"

"Because you told me at 12 years old that you liked to play with dolls, and therefore you thought you were a girl. What was I supposed to do? Oppress you?"

"Maybe be my parent and protect me from juvenile bad decisions."

Ya know?

Yes! I don't think puberty blockers are healthy at all. They may be FDA approved, but how much long term research have they been able to do on the effects? And that is a decision that cannot be taken back. If my child really, truly, wanted to take them, I would tell them they had to wait until they were an adult. I would definitely spend some time talking to him about how God has created him and pray with and for him.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
And then there's the whole LGBT thing. I think the gay folks are going to be in for a rude awakening over time when it comes to that.

Because - I suppose it's all well and good/fun and games to troll the straight/"cis" population by telling them that they're too focused on genitalia and that it's bigoted/"transphobic" to say (as a man) "I require a biological female"...and that a straight man ought be happy with a partner with a penis...because "trans women are real women" - but eventually that will come home to roost with them too.

Every gay person I know is JUST as focused on genitalia...lol Part of what defines a gay dude is that he's interested in a specific thing. And gay dudes aren't interested in the other. Eventually - that "transphobic" label about those issues will equally be applied to them by those "in their own community".

So it'll be interesting to see how that goes over the long haul. lol

• Agree
Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
If a parent wouldn't allow their 12 year old to get a tattoo because of the lifetime repercussions, how in the world can they let their 12 year old to on those drugs? It boggles the mind.

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
✟698,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And then there's the whole LGBT thing. I think the gay folks are going to be in for a rude awakening over time when it comes to that.

Because - I suppose it's all well and good/fun and games to troll the straight/"cis" population by telling them that they're too focused on genitalia and that it's bigoted/"transphobic" to say (as a man) "I require a biological female"...and that a straight man ought be happy with a partner with a penis...because "trans women are real women" - but eventually that will come home to roost with them too.

Every gay person I know is JUST as focused on genitalia...lol Part of what defines a gay dude is that he's interested in a specific thing. And gay dudes aren't interested in the other. Eventually - that "transphobic" label about those issues will equally be applied to them by those "in their own community".

Yes! I 100% agree. I am so glad that I am already married and do not have to wade through the muck on only wanting a genetic male, and I fervently pray that my children find the appropriate, genetically original gendered, spouses. Why does it have to be considered "transphobic" to not be interested in a trans person, but not homophobic to not be interested in someone of the same gender?

• Informative
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Yes! I 100% agree. I am so glad that I am already married and do not have to wade through the muck on only wanting a genetic male, and I fervently pray that my children find the appropriate, genetically original gendered, spouses. Why does it have to be considered "transphobic" to not be interested in a trans person, but not homophobic to not be interested in someone of the same gender?

Exactly!

No gay person I've ever met has ever said to me "Because you won't date me you're homophobic". They understand that their orientation is not my orientation.

But, I've got a trans friend that I grew up with...and their facebook feed is FULL of discussions like "Is a trans person obligated to tell a dating partner that they're trans?"

And the consensus is "no". Because - once again - "trans women are real women" - and "if cis women don't need to discuss their genitalia - then neither do we. Otherwise, we'd be different, which we're not."

...and if the man has a problem with that - it's because he's transphobic.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I told my trans friend that IMHO for a group that is extremely pedantic with use of language on one level - they play pretty fast and loose with language in others.

In a sense, they've commandeered the definitions of "man" and "woman" to fit the gender narrative - but then want to leave the "man" and "woman" definitions as they've always been for the sake of discussion about orientation. That's disingenuous IMHO.

My position was "If you're going to change the definition of woman to include someone with a penis, then I'm not interested in 'women'. You've changed sexual orientation into gender orientation. I have a sexual orientation. I do not have a gender orientation - with how you're defining gender."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think that is bigoted at all. I feel the same way. To me, gender is black and white. It's simple genetics. You are either chromosomally a man or chromosomally a woman. No amount of surgeries will change that. The problem is the stereotypes people place on gender, or perceive to be placed on gender. If a guy wants to wear pink and sequins, more power to him. I personally don't like that fashion choice, but there are a lot of women's fashion choices I don't like either. It breaks my heart that the world is so lost that they cannot find the special things about being their own gender, no matter what stereotypes they do or do not fit. I hate that society is pumping the "You must believe what we believe or you are a bigot" because it is so confusing for our children and teenagers. How are they supposed to grow up knowing who they are and what role they are supposed to fill in life if they are constantly told that they have to change their beliefs to accept everything other than tradition?

Gender and and sex are completely different. Most men to relate to the male gender but not all. Same for women. Gender is a development, usually in youth. Your genes to not have the final say in what gender you become. A strong effect, yes.

For example, I'm a man and my wife says I'm a jerk, so I know I'm a man. But I abhor masculinity roles in sports, weightlifting, tree throwing....any of that competitive stuff. Even many male acting roles give me the creeps. Clint Eastwood is the exception, becasue I think he's joking about his roles. Being a man, yet needling the role at the same time. Anyway, my gender is far from macho genders. My idea of a man is a great chef. Women are welcome to cook as well if they want. But most of gender is learned or by choice.

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
✟698,409.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Gender and and sex are completely different. Most men to relate to the male gender but not all. Same for women. Gender is a development, usually in youth. Your genes to not have the final say in what gender you become. A strong effect, yes.

For example, I'm a man and my wife says I'm a jerk, so I know I'm a man. But I abhor masculinity roles in sports, weightlifting, tree throwing....any of that competitive stuff. Even many male acting roles give me the creeps. Clint Eastwood is the exception, becasue I think he's joking about his roles. Being a man, yet needling the role at the same time. Anyway, my gender is far from macho genders. My idea of a man is a great chef. Women are welcome to cook as well if they want. But most of gender is learned or by choice.

Gender is gender, male or female. It is not the stereotypes that are associated with it. A man is still a part of the male gender whether he is macho or docile, and a woman is part of the female gender whether she is macho or docile. What we need to do, rather than redefining gender, is break down the stereotypes about what men and women are supposed to enjoy or act like.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,545.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've been aware of enough of the science to realise that for some people, there does seem to be a mismatch between the development of their brain, and the development of their body, such that they experience gender dysphoria (the sexual characteristics of their bodies are intrinsically distressing to them). That's what I understand true transgenderism to be, and as someone who has not experienced such distress, I think my job in relation to those people is to respond to them with openness and compassion. If it were my child... I would find that very difficult, but I don't think it fundamentally would shift the need for openness and compassion. (I don't like second-guessing the medical decisions other people make for themselves or their children, no doubt with the best of intentions and the best medical advice they could access. I feel like that stuff's between them and their doctors).

That said, there's a lot of social stuff that's being dragged along in the wake of that real phenomenon which I find much more problematic, and which I think we need to find ways, as a society, to have genuine and fruitful discussion about (rather than one group making demands and accusing anyone who wants to pause and think, of being bigots). A large part of that is about what gender means in our society, and how we do or don't handle gender-related matters well. My experience, as a woman, is that a society where gender is made much of, is often pretty oppressive of more than just transgendered people, and I'd suggest that if we had that broader discussion we might actually be able to shift lots of things in a healthier direction for many people, and that might be a very good thing; but again, that can't happen by fiat of one group (nor can it happen if we refuse to have the conversation altogether).

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

That has already begun. "Gender fluid" people are calling "--phobia" on gays who admit it would sour their relationship if their partner changed gender.

And there are some committed transgendered people--particularly those who have "gone all the way"--who call "gender fluid" an outright bogus concept. And I can easily understand their point. People who testify to have always felt a different gender from their genitals, fighting their upbringing, fighting society, aren't going to accept, "I feel female today--yesterday I felt male." Those people are pretty solid in the gender they feel. You can't them they can be anything they want, all they have to do is change clothes (or even not).

You're not often going to hear that stated in public because right now LGBT doesn't feel safe enough socially to toss anyone out of the boat (kind of the way MLK Culture black Americans feel about Urban Culture black Americans).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,200.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, no, it's always been silly to try to define gender in such specific cultural manners.

When I was in South Korea, I saw male South Korean police officers walking down the street holding hands, and they were as female-seeking masculine as anyone. I've seen outright misogynistic men in Saudi Arabia holding hands in public.

So only the shallowest concepts of "masculinity" are limited to such culture-specific cues. That's not really "gender."

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Now, I think it's nonsense to call a kid who's questioning things and/or going through whatever phase there may be "evil".
Atoms have a electron, proton and neutron. WE can be positive, negative or neutral. We choose good or evil from a neutral position. Good or evil is always a choice and God does require us to choose.

• Agree
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I told my trans friend that IMHO for a group that is extremely pedantic with use of language on one level - they play pretty fast and loose with language in others.

In a sense, they've commandeered the definitions of "man" and "woman" to fit the gender narrative - but then want to leave the "man" and "woman" definitions as they've always been for the sake of discussion about orientation. That's disingenuous IMHO.

My position was "If you're going to change the definition of woman to include someone with a penis, then I'm not interested in 'women'. You've changed sexual orientation into gender orientation. I have a sexual orientation. I do not have a gender orientation - with how you're defining gender."

I have always looked at and understood that a Transgender person was someone who either had something Added, or taken away, and before anything was ever done Surgically, there were years of Psychological evaluations, and time spend in DRAG, with hormone therapy before anything final was ever even thought of.

Now it's just I feel like I'm supposed to be that instead of what I am.

Look, I could tell everyone I meet, that I am blue, but until I am actually blue, guess what I am not blue.

It's a mind thing, there are some weird games where kids eventually commit suicide, there are girls/young women who believe themselves to be fat when they look into the mirror and don't see they weight 60 lbs. and their bones are sticking out like an Auschwitz Survivor.

People will see and believe what they want to believe, even if it is only to fit in as a child, with peer pressure, I never heard the term until I was fully grown.

The problem with our society as far as sexuality is concerned, can be equated to the Cereal isle in Wallmart, to many choices, we even have 5 different varieties of the same Cereal, who knows what they want of anything anymore?

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So tonight I'm perusing over my facebook feed, and I see this post from an old friend of mine talking about how she stopped being friends with someone who called a kid she knew "evil" because they were "non-binary".

In case you're unfamiliar with the term, nonbinary is part of the whole trans thing that's been gaining momentum over the past couple of years. Basically it means that you don't really "identify" as either a boy or a girl. You're your own thing.

So then some other lady pops in and says "I know 4 kids who are trans"...which is kind of where my thought here is going to start.

In a lot of ways, the whole trans thing gives me problems in a way that most other issues don't...and for a variety of reasons.
  1. It seems to be a growing thing. I'm a software developer and one of my jobs is developing mobile apps. Part of my job is to keep abreast of new social media apps - so every now and then I have to see what's popular/download it/evaluate what's good about it/bad about it/etc.

One of the things about social apps is that you see what a lot of people are talking about on the feeds. When you see the LGBT feeds - it seems that there really aren't any more LGB people...lol It's ALLLLLLL T for the most part. It's like every other post is "I'm soooo confused about my gender identity and sexuality". And it's a LOT of those posts.

Then you get some lady saying that she knows 4 kids that are trans? How many kids do you know - where you can end up with 4 being trans? lol Are you a teacher? Because if you're just some lady running around out there with your own kids and getting a sample group from random kids they may know - that's gotta be a pretty high percent. At least more than I would think would be a naturally occurring thing. I've got 2 kids of my own - and I think I at best can identify 10 other kids. Only maybe 3 of which I know their names. lol

But you know 4 kids that are trans?
  2. They're a pernicious group - in a way that others aren't. For example, gay people give me no problems. I can understand gay people. I love my wife, she's a woman. Bob over there loves Steve, and he's a man. So far as I can tell - it's the same feeling - applied in a different direction. So I can kinda "get" gay people.

And gay people have never asked for a thing from me or asked me to change how I look at things. You're probably thinking "but gay marriage!!!" - but I don't agree. I've got no problems with gay people walking into a secular courthouse and getting whatever label they want applied to them to be granted the same legal rights straight people have. That gives me no issues - and I do not think that's asking a thing of me.

Trans people aren't the same. In their ideal world - they would have me change how I look at what defines a man and a woman to accommodate them. In other words - I (if I were single) should be open to dating a biological man who "identifies" as a woman...and if I've got problems with the penis being there - then I'm "transphobic". Because - "trans women are real women". So they do want/expect things from others - in a way that's pretty big and foundational - that other groups don't ask.
  3. For the life of me - I don't understand what the heck they're talking about. Don't get me wrong. I understand the terminology, the language they use, the arguments they make, etc. But it doesn't make sense to me. Going back to the "understanding gays" part I said above - I'm not gay - but I can envision the gay experience. Meaning - I can understand the feeling of love - and envision it applied just in a different direction.

I DON'T understand the gender stuff - in the slightest.

What do you mean you "feel like a man" or "feel like woman"? The only thing that *I* understand is what it feels like to be me. I happen to be a man. But - I couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty if you were to throw my consciousness into RDKirk's experience - that there would be any similarity. Or that if you were to throw my consciousness into MkGal's or TropicalWild's experience - that I would go "Oh wow - this is so much different". Or that RDKirk's way of experiencing the world on a qualitative level (feeling) would be more similar to mine than that of MkGal's or TropicalWild's.

I don't know that there's some distinctive difference between the two sexes where one feels one way and the other feels another. Nobody does. My experience is limited to one thing - myself. So is everyone else's. So the idea that people think they can compare what it feels like to be "this" or "that" doesn't make any sense to me.

What is it (as a biological girl who identifies as a man) exactly that you identify with that's male? Is it how men are culturally expected to behave relative to how women are culturally expected to behave? Is it the clothing? Is it some core "feeling" you think is "male" vs. "female"? I don't get it - and nobody if asked can give a decent answer to that. Most of the time it's some vague stuff like "Well, I remember wondering what it might be like to be a little girl picking flowers as a child" or something like that. Or "I always preferred to play with boys instead of other little girls".
So what exactly then would be the difference between what we used to call being a "tomboy" vs. "nonbinary"? Has society ever been "binary" truly? I'm nearly 50. There were plenty of tomboy girls running around when I was a kid. I guess the difference is that the tomboy girl never really thought "I'm a boy". They'd run, play, be involved in sports, climb trees, do all of the "boy" things, but they still accepted they were a girl.

Heck - my aunt was a tomboy - and she was born in 1916. I have pictures of her running around in torn up pants, t-shirts, etc...much to my grandparent's chagrin. But it was perfectly normal then as well. Literature is full of them - heck - Mark Twain wrote about Hellfire Hotchkiss.

It seems to me that at least on the "girl" side - there's always been an acceptance of bending the gender-rules. Boys - ehhhh - not as much...lol But - that's a different topic altogether.

So it seems to me that a lot of these people are taking what was always within the normal realm - and pretty much blowing it into odd new proportions...and once again...it does pose me problems...because the consequences are different.

I've always thought that I'd like to have a tomboy as a daughter. But ya know, I don't want a tomboy who then comes to me and says "Because I like to climb trees, I'm actually a boy, nature did me wrong, so how about some hormone therapy, dad?" Or... "Because I like to wear pants and don't like to wear dresses, I think you should allow me to be prescribed some puberty blockers."

...and that does seem to be the direction that a lot of this is stuff is headed.

I dunno - what do you think?
I read that whole post (quite a feat for me), and you know what I think? Cancel your Facebook account ;-).

Upvote 0