31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been jobless for about 2 weeks now. I left the old job for a new one and started being very convicted that I shouldn't take the new job because I thought Jesus doesn't want me to work but to share the gospel as a homeless man in the city. Since then I have had second thoughts about this and decided I would still work but I would start my own landscaping business. Over the last week or so I started being super convicted that God did not want me to start my own business but to rather get a job with a boss. It bugged me so much but I still underwent some of the process of starting my own business ( bought a backpack blower, did research on the legalities of the business). Then yesterday the convictions were so strong I ended up just thinking " Ok, I won't start my own business" and maybe even nonverbally made a promise to God in my heart that I wouldn't. I regret it, but I think I made a vow to God and turning back on it now would be grievous. These kind of thoughts have happened before, like once or twice I promised " Ok, I'll go and be homeless and tell everyone about Jesus" just out of fear and weakness of the pressure that was on my conscience and wanting to rid myself of the guilt. I've even been tempted to promise in my heart to never marry because then maybe it would be easier to not lust after women and maybe it would make me closer to God.

• Prayers
Reactions: “Paisios”

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟335,989.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have been jobless for about 2 weeks now. I left the old job for a new one and started being very convicted that I shouldn't take the new job because I thought Jesus doesn't want me to work but to share the gospel as a homeless man in the city. Since then I have had second thoughts about this and decided I would still work but I would start my own landscaping business. Over the last week or so I started being super convicted that God did not want me to start my own business but to rather get a job with a boss. It bugged me so much but I still underwent some of the process of starting my own business ( bought a backpack blower, did research on the legalities of the business). Then yesterday the convictions were so strong I ended up just thinking " Ok, I won't start my own business" and maybe even nonverbally made a promise to God in my heart that I wouldn't. I regret it, but I think I made a vow to God and turning back on it now would be grievous. These kind of thoughts have happened before, like once or twice I promised " Ok, I'll go and be homeless and tell everyone about Jesus" just out of fear and weakness of the pressure that was on my conscience and wanting to rid myself of the guilt. I've even been tempted to promise in my heart to never marry because then maybe it would be easier to not lust after women and maybe it would make me closer to God.
God doesn't like vows according to Matthew 5:33-35 except He recommends it for sanctification for a certain amount of time in Numbers 6:2. Many argue that it doesn't apply now because of the following verses in that chapter. We don't live in the physical law but in the Spiritual law. That may help for you to decide where in that vow you stand with God.

Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
God doesn't like vows according to Matthew 5:33-35 except He recommends it for sanctification for a certain amount of time in Numbers 6:2. Many argue that it doesn't apply now because of the following verses in that chapter. We don't live in the physical law but in the Spiritual law. That may help for you to decide where in that vow you stand with God.
Thank you for the reply Cassia

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
....wow

you do not have to be a homeless person in order to share the gospel with others. there is no biblical prohibition against working or owning your own business. scripture actually demands that we work with our hands and earn our own bread. owning your own business could help you in finding a wife as women will value the financial security of being with someone who has a skill and knack for starting and running a business. plus it could be beneficial to your children in being able to pass something down to them.

with that said, if you feel like you are truly being led to make yourself homeless for the sake of the gospel, go for it, but do it because it's what you truly desire to do and not because you feel like you have some moral obligation to do it as homelessness is not a requirement to spread the good news.

you made a bunch of vows out of haste, but you haven't committed the unforgivable sin. ask the LORD to forgive you for making hasty vows and from now on let your yes be yes and your no be no.

Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I'm right there with ya on that statement.
It's also not that I think Christians have to be homeless or be jobless. It's more of thinking that God has been pressuring me by His word and His Spirit to do this ever since I started reading Jesus's teachings on carrying your cross. When I think about the fact that I really want to work and don't want to be homeless, I remember the Saviors words " He who loves his life will lose it, but he who hates his life will save it."

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm right there with ya on that statement.
It's also not that I think Christians have to be homeless or be jobless. It's more of thinking that God has been pressuring me by His word and His Spirit to do this ever since I started reading Jesus's teachings on carrying your cross. When I think about the fact that I really want to work and don't want to be homeless, I remember the Saviors words " He who loves his life will lose it, but he who hates his life will save it."

it seems you're doing this out of guilt instead of spiritual conviction and leading. you're not biblically obligated to go this route, but it you desire to do it, you can.

if this is the way in which you desire to serve the kingdom, go for it, but you can serve the LORD just as well as a business owner.

Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
it seems you're doing this out of guilt instead of spiritual conviction and leading. you're not biblically obligated to go this route, but it you desire to do it, you can.

if this is the way in which you desire to serve the kingdom, go for it, but you can serve the LORD just as well as a business owner.

I agree with you that it is not a biblical requirement, and it's actually not what I desire to do. I've been homeless in cities before and I'm not particularly fond of it. I used to be one of those kids that was homelss by choice.
It's much more of a powerful persuasion that convinces me that if I don't then I probably won't go to heaven because I won't be doing the will of God for my life. Now that I made this promise (of not starting a business), I'm really starting to consider it even more now because I don't want to get another job and then let down another employer because I end up quitting to do it further down the road.
In my mind it's mostly all just really powerful feelings that I need to do these things or perish, and they are special a special guidance from God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I still study to make sure of these things and if I can be convinced by my readings that this is the wrong choice despite these feelings than I won't do it. I just haven't found anything that commands that I don't follow these leadings.

rather, you need to find something in scripture that commands that you DO follow these leadings.

there's no command in scripture for anyone to be homeless or jobless so you won't be condemned no matter which route you choose. you can be a herald for the gospel as a business owner or homeless and unemployed.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why do you think you have to go homeless to share the gospel? Not only that, if you are earning an income you can help the homeless in many ways. Isn't that better? Not marrying will not do away with lust and if you do suffer from such a weakness which is common to all then it is better that you marry.
It's better to marry than to burn with lust. 1 corinthians 7:9

Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟889,133.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Brother it sounds like you made your vow in a desperate desire to honor God. The vow isn't what is important. What is important is that you keep this desire to honor and serve God. You can do this with or without a job. So do what you want brother and always honor and serve God. He loves you and I'm sure He's very pleased with your devotion. In the future I would refrain from making vows to God. They aren't necessary to serve Him. If you still feel the need to honor your vow simply don't take a job and do some missionary work for a little while until you feel satisfied that you have completed your obligation to your vow then start your buisness.

Upvote 0

DreamerOfTheHeart

I Am What I Am
Jul 11, 2017
Houston
✟39,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Umm... so you are a human being.

Now, can a homeless man be a powerful advocate for the truth? I have to say... "yes"? Jesus was homeless during his ministry.

God is close to the homeless... but, you know this? Or no?

If you think God might give you a good job, then take it. God does not need any evangelists. Can God not create any sort of angel anywhere, anytime?

You need to figure out what God is saying and what your preferences are saying.

People tend to have no truth, because they simply believe based on their preferences.

Word.

Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
People tend to have no truth, because they simply believe based on their preferences

I can agree with you on this point.

Something else that runs along this persuasion of not working is a belief that Jesus teaches that His followers can not have a job and get paid for it ; something the rest of the bible simply does not agree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

messager777

Sep 19, 2017
south georgia
✟2,107.00
Country
South Georgia And The South Sandwich Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
According to MATTHEW.25:31-46, most ordinary Christian income-earners can also serve God by proxy, ie by contributing financially to the upkeep of the Church and the sustenance of her workers(eg pastors and missionaries).

Bear in mind that the apostles were personally called by God/Jesus and had direct conversations with Jesus/God face-to-face and word-by-word.

Reactions: 31gH9N.9.
Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
According to MATTHEW.25:31-46, most ordinary Christian income-earners can also serve God by proxy, ie by contributing financially to the upkeep of the Church and the sustenance of her workers(eg pastors and missionaries).

Bear in mind that the apostles were personally called by God/Jesus and had direct conversations with Jesus/God face-to-face and word-by-word.

Thank you, and this is one passage that I have found in the gospels where Jesus speaks of the blessing for those who support those who are without.
For some reason I still just get this very strong feeling that Jesus wants me homeless, and I've always been worried if that's just the Holy Spirit persuading me to do so. It's weird because if I decide I'm not going to listen to it, then I feel guilty like I'm a scoffer who refuses to listen to God.

Upvote 0

messager777

Sep 19, 2017
south georgia
✟2,107.00
Country
South Georgia And The South Sandwich Islands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you, and this is one passage that I have found in the gospels where Jesus speaks of the blessing for those who support those who are without.
For some reason I still just get this very strong feeling that Jesus wants me homeless, and I've always been worried if that's just the Holy Spirit persuading me to do so. It's weird because if I decide I'm not going to listen to it, then I feel guilty like I'm a scoffer who refuses to listen to God.
JOHN.6: = When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, “Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing.
The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
64 But there are some of you who do not believe.” For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, “Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father.”

HEBREWS.4: = 11 Let us therefore be diligent to enter that rest, lest anyone fall according to the same example of disobedience.
12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. 13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.

Upvote 0

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Jesus said not to swear oaths to let your yes be yes and your no be no.. In the Bible time and time again people who swore oaths ended up ensnared by their oaths..

Matthew 5: KJV

33 "¶ Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: {34} But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God’s throne: {35} Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. {36} Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. {37} But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."

Believe Jesus...

Upvote 0

31gH9N.9.

Dec 27, 2016
USA
✟38,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jesus said not to swear oaths to let your yes be yes and your no be no.. In the Bible time and time again people who swore oaths ended up ensnared by their oaths..

Matthew 5: KJV

33 "¶ Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths: {34} But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God’s throne: {35} Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King. {36} Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black. {37} But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil."

Believe Jesus...

I guess when I really think about it, it definitely wasn't a vow. But I did, in my mind, say " Ok I won't do it." And I felt like that was me saying yes to God and If I went back on it, it would be a sin.

I've decided I'm just going to give it a try and move to the city and just walk the streets sharing the teachings of Christ with whoever I meet. This has been on my conscience for almost 2 years now and no matter what has never gone away. If I'm wrong, I pray that God will correct me, bit I feel it's the only way I'll find out.

• Friendly
Reactions: Adstar
Upvote 0