Is there something wrong about "The Shepherd of Hermas"?

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
but that's nothing new. we know St Paul dictated to followers, which isn't a good case that they were not from the 1st century.

Scribes were trained to "take dictation" verbatim.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Scribes were trained to "take dictation" verbatim.

except we're not talking about trained scribes. we also know this happened with St John and St Anthony.

this is not good evidence for later authorship.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
except we're not talking about trained scribes. we also know this happened with St John and St Anthony.

this is not good evidence for later authorship.

Literacy in those days was limited to about 10% of the population, most of those being in the "upper levels" of society. I consider the likelihood of a trained scribe to be quite high.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Literacy in those days was limited to about 10% of the population, most of those being in the "upper levels" of society. I consider the likelihood of a trained scribe to be quite high.

and the Apostles, we know, had disciples who were educated enough to read and write, even if they had other professions and were not trained scribes. it doesn't matter what you (or I) think the likelihood is.

again, not solid evidence the writings were not from the first century.

Upvote 0

Anthony70

Dec 28, 2018
Private
✟12,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I ran into a Protestant vid not long ago that said it was another sign of the "pagan" origins of "Catholicism". You know, another element of the whole Constantine conspiracy thing. And Shepherd of Hermas was evil because it sounded like the god Hermes :D

I've always been fond of it, but maybe it's more from the era of some Apostolic fathers. I could see why it isn't in the canon, but still worth reading.
Romans 16:14
“Salute Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermas, Patrobas, Hermes, and the brethren which are with them.”
Oh my gosh look at all these pagan “gods” in muh Bible. The papacy must have added this verse in to support worshiping the Roman pantheon. Well time to cut this verse out of my “revised inspired Bible translation”.

Upvote 0

Anthony70

Dec 28, 2018
Private
✟12,089.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Shepherd of Hermas is a very good book which I believe was written by the Hermas mentioned in the book of Romans. From what I can tell there is nothing heretical in the Shepherd and some Church Fathers such as St. Athanasius, St. Jerome, and St. Irenaeus as well as some Early Church Writers such as Origen, Clement of Alexandria, and Tertullian (early in his life he accepted it but when he became a heretic he rejected it) approved of the book being read by Christians.

Reactions: ArmyMatt
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Romans 16:14
“Salute Asyncritus, Phlegon, Hermas, Patrobas, Hermes, and the brethren which are with them.”
Oh my gosh look at all these pagan “gods” in muh Bible. The papacy must have added this verse in to support worshiping the Roman pantheon. Well time to cut this verse out of my “revised inspired Bible translation”.

you forgot Apollos and Dionysius...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No gospels were written later but a number of epistles were.

this isn't the debate forum, if you wanna argue the Epistles were later, that's for St Justin's, not here please.

• Agree
Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0