Is there something like mount athos for women? A holy place?

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
My older daughter, who has fallen away from faith, is nuts about Germany, is throwing most of her energy into learning the language, and is trying to maneuver to go there to study and live. I'd love to hook her up with people who are Orthodox and know how to not push the Faith there...

Upvote 0

KisKatte

Jesus, send us your Holy Spirit.
Feb 1, 2020
Karlsruhe
✟53,237.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
How old is your daughter? Will she really go to Germany? I can not promise I can help. First of all I am not typicall orthodox(I do not know if you would like her to contact me to be sincere), though I have some experience in convincing my younger sister who is very ill from time to time to go to church and search contact with priests.... it does not always help :). Also I am not very reliable, because you never know when I get ill again from day to day. But when the time comes she visits Germany and need someone to go with her to church or just for small contact I am here theoretically. You can write me. Just I can not promise anything at the moment. You are from Russia, are you living there?

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a convent near the village of Ormylia in Halkidiki, Greece which has a wonderful ministry to visitors. Someone mentioned the convent near Souroti where Saint Paisios is buried. Our experience of the two convents was quite different. At Ormylia, several of the nuns will act as hosts for any visitors, sitting down to talk with you, making you as welcome as they are able to. There was no similar ministry at Souroti, so if you didn't already have a relationship with one of the nuns there was a good chance you wouldn't get to speak with anyone.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There is a convent near the village of Ormylia in Halkidiki, Greece which has a wonderful ministry to visitors. Someone mentioned the convent near Souroti where Saint Paisios is buried. Our experience of the two convents was quite different. At Ormylia, several of the nuns will act as hosts for any visitors, sitting down to talk with you, making you as welcome as they are able to. There was no similar ministry at Souroti, so if you didn't already have a relationship with one of the nuns there was a good chance you wouldn't get to speak with anyone.
That’s great information. Do you know if the nuns typically just speak Greek? Do many speak English?

Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
That’s great information. Do you know if the nuns typically just speak Greek? Do many speak English?
There are several nuns that speak English at Ormylia. At least two nuns are from Australia and another is from Britain. I'm afraid I can't be much help for Souroti.

Upvote 0

KisKatte

Jesus, send us your Holy Spirit.
Feb 1, 2020
Karlsruhe
✟53,237.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
@prodromos thank you so much you share your information with us :). I do not know when I will go to travel again but this is a good thread where we can collect the information about monasteries. Maybe it is also true, like Father ArmyMatt said, that across the sea of the mount athos there is a monastery for ladies.... I will search for it. I tried to search catholic monasteries around here, for they are known to offer calm days for visitors so they can relax there and so on but I did not find andy that is ready to have guests at the moment. I thought I just want some calm days in a monastery. But my home I could make it also calm and good. Church is not far away. Maybe it is just a question of mind. I live alone. Only my dog is sometimes with me.

Reactions: buzuxi02
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,091.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Maybe it is also true, like Father ArmyMatt said, that across the sea of the mount athos there is a monastery for ladies.... I will search for it.
Monastery of the Archangel Michael on the island of Thassos is directly across from Mt Athos. I assume some of the nuns there speak English. I know there was at least one who had come from the US although she was originally from Africa. My wife and I have stayed there overnight.

ARCHANGEL MICHAEL HOLY MONASTERY – THASOS ISLAND - Μοναστήρια της Ελλάδος

Last edited:
Upvote 0