Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Very very true, the thief on the cross shows us that, but what people here are trying to convince others is that there is afterlife forgiveness?
Are you going to take that chance??
Because I’m certainly not
We should repent right now because the hour of judgment can come at any time.

My original post might not have been well worded, but I wanted to make a point: I sometimes hear people say that someone they knew was not saved when they died, when in fact, they have no idea what happened in that person's final moments.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We should repent right now because the hour of judgment can come at any time.

My original post might not have been well worded, but I wanted to make a point: I sometimes hear people say that someone they knew was not saved when they died, when in fact, they have no idea what happened in that person's final moments.
Lol yeah, a bit off topic to say the least
I also pointed out something in my church awhile back.
Whilst we don’t know when Christ returns, we also don’t know when we will die. We must repent now

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So that's your reasoning... the inspired Word of God revealed something that was nothing more than the ramblings of a depressed man? What a small god you worship.
You're missing the point of scripture. The old testament is based on the basic principles of the world, Solomon even admitted that no one could know this in Ecclesiastes 3:19. Jesus was referring to Solomon et al from the OT in Luke 10:24 and Matthew 13:17.

I don't worship a small God, but I do worship a God who meets people where they are at. In the time of Solomon, this is where they were at.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
"ALL scripture is given by inspiration from God" 2 Tim 3:16... that includes the writing of Solomon.

Solomon concludes with this --

Remember now your Creator in the days of your youth,
Before the difficult days come,
And the years draw near when you say,
“I have no pleasure in them”:...

The Whole Duty of Man
9 And moreover, because the preacher was wise, he still taught the people knowledge; yea, he gave good heed, and sought out, and set in order many proverbs.

10 The preacher sought to find out acceptable words: and that which was written was upright, even words of truth.

11 The words of the wise are as goads, and as nails fastened by the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd.

12 And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
All scripture is useful, some scripture is more more useful depending where you are at.

The old testament is based on the basic principles of the world according to scripture. (Galatians 4:3, Colossians 2:20)

I will live according to the new principles that Jesus exemplified when he replaced the old principles on the cross. (Colossians 2:14)

Upvote 0

Doug Melven

Nov 2, 2017
Wyoming
✟83,208.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That passage says nothing about no more chances/endless punishment. You're reading your opinions/theology into the text, adding to His words.
The passage says "To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts."
If your boss tells you to do something today, and you don't do it that day, but you wait till the next day and think your boss will be happy, think again.
How much more should we listen when God says, "Today"
Isaiah 55:6 Seek ye the LORD while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:
Amos 8:12 And they shall wander from sea to sea, and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the LORD, and shall not find it.
When a person dies, they enter into God's realm, eternity
Isaiah 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones.
Once we are in eternity, there is no more "Today" for the person who dies.
Time is gone.
In the first 2 threads I have refuted many of the interpretations of the verses you use.
Now you have another thread I will go to to refute more of your doctrine.

Another opinion of man, instead of God's Word. How do you know the promised land (on earth) is not a shadow of the millennial age kingdom of Christ (on earth)?
Okay, that works too.
Either way God doesn't give another chance once He has decided someone can't enter.

You're full of your own opinions. I prefer the Truth. See:

https://www.tentmaker.org/books/hope_beyond_hell.pdf
I read a little of that book and it was just full of man's inability to understand God.
So they come up with various human logic scenarios to try to explain things.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
All scripture is useful, some scripture is more more useful depending where you are at.

The old testament is based on the basic principles of the world according to scripture. (Galatians 4:3, Colossians 2:20)

I will live according to the new principles that Jesus exemplified when he replaced the old principles on the cross. (Colossians 2:14)

There is no such thing as "I hereby delete scripture" in the NT.
Acts 17:11 "they studied the SCRIPTURES to SEE IF those things taught by Paul - WERE SO"
2 Tim 3:16 "all scripture is useful" is not in the Bible
2 Tim 3:16 "all scripture is given by inspiration from God AND IS TO BE USED FOR DOCTRINE" is in the Bible

Bible-deleting-doctrine cannot be supported from the NT.

Colossians 2 is not about deleting scripture - it is about refuting the "commandments of men"

Col 2
4 And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;

22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

Upvote 0

TerryWoodenpic

Nov 23, 2017
Oldham
✟39,925.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Whilst we don’t know when Christ returns, we also don’t know when we will die. We must repent now

We can not live in a state of repentance...
Certainly if we are aware that we have sinned, we should repent it.
And do what we can to rectify the situation, both in making ammends and by changing your life so as not to repeat what you did.
But this is far from remaining sinless.

I think it is far more likely that rather than living in a state of repentance, we live in a state of God's love.
Where sin and repentance is expected. Where God's forgiveness. is assured.
God loves us all, even though we are sinners. And he sent Jesus to show us the way to a fuller life to save us from ourselves.
However God knows we will sin again, and repeadedly so. We are never Saved from this cycle. We can ony pray to improve.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We can not live in a state of repentance...
Certainly if we are aware that we have sinned, we should repent it.
And do what we can to rectify the situation, both in making ammends and by changing your life so as not to repeat what you did.
But this is far from remaining sinless.

I think it is far more likely that rather than living in a state of repentance, we live in a state of God's love.
Where sin and repentance is expected. Where God's forgiveness. is assured.
God loves us all, even though we are sinners. And he sent Jesus to show us the way to a fuller life to save us from ourselves.
However God knows we will sin again, and repeadedly so. We are never Saved from this cycle. We can ony pray to improve.
Yeah I agree

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Off topic? I think my point was quite relevant. Haven't you ever heard someone make the claim that so and so wasn't saved?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
The gates of hell will not prevail against us. All will be saved.
I sometimes think of hell as a lake of gasoline. You are safe as long as you don't light a match. Committing a sin is the same as lighting a match.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Off topic? I think my point was quite relevant. Haven't you ever heard someone make the claim that so and so wasn't saved?
I have, and not that they have the right to say who was saved or not but the Bible is clear that those who refuse Gods sacrifice are eternally doomed

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
I have, and not that they have the right to say who was saved or not but the Bible is clear that those who refuse Gods sacrifice are eternally doomed
But in that final moment, who will choose eternal doom over eternal paradise?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
There is no such thing as "I hereby delete scripture" in the NT.
Acts 17:11 "they studied the SCRIPTURES to SEE IF those things taught by Paul - WERE SO"
2 Tim 3:16 "all scripture is useful" is not in the Bible
2 Tim 3:16 "all scripture is given by inspiration from God AND IS TO BE USED FOR DOCTRINE" is in the Bible

Bible-deleting-doctrine cannot be supported from the NT.

Colossians 2 is not about deleting scripture - it is about refuting the "commandments of men"

Col 2
4 And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,

19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,

21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;

22 Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
So as I understand it, we look at the same verses and make opposite conclusions. I guess that's that then.

Upvote 0