Is there another alternative to LASIK eye surgery?

Diakonos

christian soulJah
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
✟15,495.00
Faith
Christian
I was totally ready to have this procedure done to correct my nearsightedness and astigmatism. However, after my examination, I was told that my corneas are too thin to have this procedure done. You see, in LASIK surgery, they peel your cornea back, use a laser to reshape your eye and then place your cornea back in place. In my case however, I don’t have enough tissue in my cornea to do this. Then I was told that I’m not a candidate for LASEK surgery either (not to be confused with LASIK surgery). That’s the procedure where they push the cornea aside, and then use the laser to reshape your eye. My nearsightedness is too severe for that (-7.00 in the right eye and - 8.00 in the left).

To make a long story short, I cannot have those procedures done. Does anyone know of any other options?

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,783,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have the exact same problem with my corneas being too thin. I was told though that I'd probably be a good candidate for Intacts, but it would probably have to be done in conjunction with LASIK. It's a surgical procedure in which little pieces of plastic material are inserted under the suface of your eye, reshaping the surface of your eye. It's a little more invasive I think and still not done a lot. I was told this a couple years ago when the procedure was in its infancy. It might be more common now though.

Upvote 0

Diakonos

christian soulJah
Nov 14, 2003
Visit site
✟15,495.00
Faith
Christian
lucypevensie said:
I have the exact same problem with my corneas being too thin. I was told though that I'd probably be a good candidate for Intacts, but it would probably have to be done in conjunction with LASIK. It's a surgical procedure in which little pieces of plastic material are inserted under the suface of your eye, reshaping the surface of your eye. It's a little more invasive I think and still not done a lot. I was told this a couple years ago when the procedure was in its infancy. It might be more common now though.
The doctor mentioned that procedure to me as well. He said it would be available in about 3 years. To be honest, it doesn't sound like as good of an option as LASIK/LASEK surgery, but what can you do. I'm thinking about getting a second opinion to see if another doctor says the same thing.

Upvote 0

fitmom

Senior Veteran
Mar 3, 2004
Regina
Visit site
✟12,454.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi, I had lazer surgery done 7.5 years ago to correct my severe nearsightedness. At that time they did not lift the cornea like they do now, it was just 'lazered' away and I had to use steroid drops for about 7 months to control the healing. My eyesight is better than 20/20. I wonder if this 'older' option is still available. I beleive it was called refractive lazer surgery. Hope this helps. God Bless, J

Upvote 0

lucypevensie

Not drinking the kool-aid
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2002
WI
✟1,783,256.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actually with LASIK they do not lift the cornea either. The cornea stays in place and the surface membrane of the eyeball is lifted off. Then the laser is used to re-shape the cornea. So either way the cornea will be to thin for us.

Upvote 0