Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the heads up! I'll check it out. :) This is a big place these forums! :eek:

This is the "controversial theology forum." Its in this forum.

Upvote 0

Gwen-is-new!

The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So, I remembered the Time article in early 2000. I found a PDF that is interesting. (I hope this loads) First time starting a thread. :)

http://web.pdx.edu/~tothm/religion/Is God in Our Genes.pdf

Anyway, I was wondering if you all think there could be a God gene? To me, this would answer why some people respond to the gospel call and others don't. I know and believe the Bible teaches us God foreknows and predestinates us, and makes one lump of clay as a vessel for honor, and another for dis-honor. (Eph. 1, Romans 8, 9) Also, because of our fallen state God has to draw us to Himself. (Romans 3, John 6)

But before sin entered into the picture, Satan fell (Ezek. 28:12-17) and he entered into the Snake in the Garden of Eden to temp Adam and Eve. And there are the elect (1st Tim 5:21) angels that never fell. Adam and Eve chose to sin instead of doing what is right, but they were of the Earth, not spiritual beings-like angels. And they are the exception in that they did not have a sin nature, but they still sinned. (1st Cor 15:35-58) Everyone since them is born dead in sin, with a sin nature. (Romans 5:12, 1st Cor. 15:21-22)

After all, we all are "made" by God, fearfully and wonderfully made. (Ps. 139:13-16) And the illustration of the lump of clay shows God does indeed make us how He wants to.

So, could design in our genes (how were are made) be why we respond to the drawing of the Holy Spirit? And is this why that people not chosen never will, and even given perfect conditions would choose to rebel- like the angels, Adam and Eve, and the unsaved in Rev 20? It seems to answer some questions. :)

I wish.. it would make the doctrine of election so much easier to understand :)

Reactions: oldrunner
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, I remembered the Time article in early 2000. I found a PDF that is interesting. (I hope this loads) First time starting a thread. :)

http://web.pdx.edu/~tothm/religion/Is God in Our Genes.pdf

Anyway, I was wondering if you all think there could be a God gene? To me, this would answer why some people respond to the gospel call and others don't. I know and believe the Bible teaches us God foreknows and predestinates us, and makes one lump of clay as a vessel for honor, and another for dis-honor. (Eph. 1, Romans 8, 9) Also, because of our fallen state God has to draw us to Himself. (Romans 3, John 6)

But before sin entered into the picture, Satan fell (Ezek. 28:12-17) and he entered into the Snake in the Garden of Eden to temp Adam and Eve. And there are the elect (1st Tim 5:21) angels that never fell. Adam and Eve chose to sin instead of doing what is right, but they were of the Earth, not spiritual beings-like angels. And they are the exception in that they did not have a sin nature, but they still sinned. (1st Cor 15:35-58) Everyone since them is born dead in sin, with a sin nature. (Romans 5:12, 1st Cor. 15:21-22)

After all, we all are "made" by God, fearfully and wonderfully made. (Ps. 139:13-16) And the illustration of the lump of clay shows God does indeed make us how He wants to.

So, could design in our genes (how were are made) be why we respond to the drawing of the Holy Spirit? And is this why that people not chosen never will, and even given perfect conditions would choose to rebel- like the angels, Adam and Eve, and the unsaved in Rev 20? It seems to answer some questions. :)
No.

Upvote 0

oldrunner

Site Supporter
Aug 2, 2018
usa
✟59,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
I wish.. it would make the doctrine of election so much easier to understand :)

I don't think it is so hard to understand, it's just we like being in control. :)

Reactions: Gwen-is-new!
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Let's not get scientific - I'm talking in a spiritual sense. I didn't watch the video if this is about science.
I think the Lord guides everybody. That doesn't mean everybody follows directions.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I think the Lord guides everybody. That doesn't mean everybody follows directions.

Yes, Romans 12 tells us that God gives everyone a measure of faith. But after the Spirit fills you up to overflowing, the difference is between night and day.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Yes, Romans 12 tells us that God gives everyone a measure of faith. But after the Spirit fills you up to overflowing, the difference is between night and day.
How do you mean?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
How do you mean?

With the Spirit, you have the gift of faith. It is a power gift due to the power of the Spirit behind it.

Gifts from God - Romans 12:3-8 These are not only to Christians. Many people in the world are gifted. Look at Donald Trump, Adam Lambert, Stephen Hawkins, Einstein. But some do not use their gift FOR God.

Gifts from the Holy Spirit - 1 Corinthians 12:4-10

Gifts from Jesus - Ephesians 4:11 These gifts are offices of the church.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
With the Spirit, you have the gift of faith. It is a power gift due to the power of the Spirit behind it.

Gifts from God - Romans 12:3-8 These are not only to Christians. Many people in the world are gifted. Look at Donald Trump, Adam Lambert, Stephen Hawkins, Einstein. But some do not use their gift FOR God.

Gifts from the Holy Spirit - 1 Corinthians 12:4-10

Gifts from Jesus - Ephesians 4:11 These gifts are offices of the church.
Is it preordained who has the gift of faith?

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Is it preordained who has the gift of faith?

No. I don't think so. It is combined with the hearing gifts: Word of Wisdom, Word of Knowledge, Prophecy, Interpretation of Tongues. These are higher gifts and are given in the degree we are abiding with Jesus.

Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Rhema of God. When God speaks to you a truth, the gift of faith is activated to see it come to pass.

If you abide in Me, and my Rhemas abide in you, you shall ask what you will and it shall be done unto you.

In other words, we HEAR God's voice speak to us His will, and when we ourselves speak that will, it comes to pass.

This is how 100% of my prayers are answered. I do abide in Him, and I can hear His voice. I have learned over the years to always just listen to what I am to pray, and He always speaks to me, and brings the prayer I repeat to pass.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums