Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
So, I remembered the Time article in early 2000. I found a PDF that is interesting. (I hope this loads) First time starting a thread. :)

http://web.pdx.edu/~tothm/religion/Is God in Our Genes.pdf

Anyway, I was wondering if you all think there could be a God gene? To me, this would answer why some people respond to the gospel call and others don't. I know and believe the Bible teaches us God foreknows and predestinates us, and makes one lump of clay as a vessel for honor, and another for dis-honor. (Eph. 1, Romans 8, 9) Also, because of our fallen state God has to draw us to Himself. (Romans 3, John 6)

But before sin entered into the picture, Satan fell (Ezek. 28:12-17) and he entered into the Snake in the Garden of Eden to temp Adam and Eve. And there are the elect (1st Tim 5:21) angels that never fell. Adam and Eve chose to sin instead of doing what is right, but they were of the Earth, not spiritual beings-like angels. And they are the exception in that they did not have a sin nature, but they still sinned. (1st Cor 15:35-58) Everyone since them is born dead in sin, with a sin nature. (Romans 5:12, 1st Cor. 15:21-22)

After all, we all are "made" by God, fearfully and wonderfully made. (Ps. 139:13-16) And the illustration of the lump of clay shows God does indeed make us how He wants to.

So, could design in our genes (how were are made) be why we respond to the drawing of the Holy Spirit? And is this why that people not chosen never will, and even given perfect conditions would choose to rebel- like the angels, Adam and Eve, and the unsaved in Rev 20? It seems to answer some questions. :)

Reactions: Sarah G

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Anyway, I was wondering if you all think there could be a God gene? To me, this would answer why some people respond to the gospel call and others don't. I know and believe the Bible teaches us God foreknows and predestinates us, and makes one lump of clay as a vessel for honor, and another for dis-honor. (Eph. 1, Romans 8, 9) Also, because of our fallen state God has to draw us to Himself. (Romans 3, John 6)

It is not that cut and dried. You forget 2 Timothy 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.

Note, the vessel is responsible.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
So, I remembered the Time article in early 2000. I found a PDF that is interesting. (I hope this loads) First time starting a thread. :)

But before sin entered into the picture, Satan fell (Ezek. 28:12-17) and he entered into the Snake in the Garden of Eden to temp Adam and Eve. And there are the elect (1st Tim 5:21) angels that never fell. Adam and Eve chose to sin instead of doing what is right, but they were of the Earth, not spiritual beings-like angels. And they are the exception in that they did not have a sin nature, but they still sinned. (1st Cor 15:35-58) Everyone since them is born dead in sin, with a sin nature. (Romans 5:12, 1st Cor. 15:21-22)

After all, we all are "made" by God, fearfully and wonderfully made. (Ps. 139:13-16) And the illustration of the lump of clay shows God does indeed make us how He wants to.

So, could design in our genes (how were are made) be why we respond to the drawing of the Holy Spirit? And is this why that people not chosen never will, and even given perfect conditions would choose to rebel- like the angels, Adam and Eve, and the unsaved in Rev 20? It seems to answer some questions. :)
No, there is not God gene.

• Agree
Reactions: 1213
Upvote 0

oldrunner

Supporter
Aug 2, 2018
usa
✟37,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
It is not that cut and dried. You forget 2 Timothy 2:20 But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay, some for honor and some for dishonor. 21 Therefore if anyone cleanses himself from the latter, he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified and useful for the Master, prepared for every good work.

Note, the vessel is responsible.
It's cut and dry to me. :) (1st Cor. 3:11-17) There are no doubt many Christians that are not fit to be used, and some only have Christ as a foundation, but have built upon this foundation things of the flesh. They will be set upon the shelf, or destroyed by God (killed), but this does not take away from the fact they are still His, and will be saved. They will just miss out on blessing here, and their rewards will suffer at the judgement. They will be "smoky".

What Paul is teaching in Romans 9, is clearly the difference in between what vessel He has made, not works.

But, we are talking about the God gene, and not about eternal security. :wave: So, what say you about the God gene?

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,304.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe there is.

And on the predestination, for some reason the posted verse came to mind. The scripture all but says we have a choice to be good or not, make it to heaven or not, it's not predestined.

If we were all predestined, what is the point of even the Bible to tell how we should act? We would already know, or it wouldn't matter how we act, we are predestined one way or another already.

The simple message from Christ:

John 5:28-29 “Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned.

There is just way too much that flies in the face of the predestination theory as it is often understood to be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It's cut and dry to me. :) (1st Cor. 3:11-17) There are no doubt many Christians that are not fit to be used, and some only have Christ as a foundation, but have built upon this foundation things of the flesh. They will be set upon the shelf, or destroyed by God (killed), but this does not take away from the fact they are still His, and will be saved. They will just miss out on blessing here, and their rewards will suffer at the judgement. They will be "smoky".

What Paul is teaching in Romans 9, is clearly the difference in between what vessel He has made, not works.

But, we are talking about the God gene, and not about eternal security. :wave: So, what say you about the God gene?

1 Corinthians 3:11-17 is talking about our ministries. Some will last and others won't. Paul's did as we still have all his writings, and are still blessed by them. It has nothing to do with our working out our own salvation. Go back to verse 4 for the context.

There is something to be said about the 'God gene.' It is called the 'seed of the Father.' This seed makes us born again. So we are new creatures with the seed of the Father. This power makes us dead to sin, Romans 6:2. It takes us out of the flesh and into the Spirit. Romans 8:9. And His desires become our desires and we don't willfully sin. 1 John 3:9.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Seems a possibility.

• Agree
Reactions: oldrunner
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican

Just so you know, Romans 9 through 11 Paul is talking about Israel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

oldrunner

Supporter
Aug 2, 2018
usa
✟37,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
Just so you know, Romans 9 through 11 Paul is talking about Israel.
If all you see is Israel about the potter and the clay, then I think you need a new Spirit filling there, 1stcenturylady. :) But I digress. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟147,506.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Mutations in the genetic code that increase the probability of survival are passed on to the next generation. In general, what increases survival rates are the development of mechanisms that enable us to better discern the nature of reality.

What is apparent is that, however or for whatever reason, people universally have spiritual tendencies. Spiritual tendencies are as much a part of human nature as the ability to see colours, and taste, and hear and feel tactile sensations.
And the blueprint for our humanity rests in our genetic codes.

If spiritual realms of existence are not real, this would be about the only universal human trait that was developed in order to deal with the world as it isn't, rather than the world as it is.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If all you see is Israel about the potter and the clay, then I think you need a new Spirit filling there, 1stcenturylady. :) But I digress. :rolleyes:

It is important to know that the Replacement Theology is false doctrine. Israel was predestined to be God's chosen people called the Elect. But that doesn't mean that all Israel is saved. So the modern twist on predestination is bogus and dangerous.

I see you are new to the forums. Welcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oldrunner

Supporter
Aug 2, 2018
usa
✟37,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
It is important to know that the Replacement Theology is false doctrine. Israel was predestined to be God's chosen people called the Elect. But that doesn't mean that all Israel is saved. So the modern twist on predestination is bogus and dangerous.

I see you are new to the forums. Welcome.
Thanks! :) And I agree with you. I'm a Pre-Mill, Pre-Wrath, Progressive Dispensational, type Christian. And I believe now, only a small remnant of Israel is being saved, because of the partial blindness God has given them, as the mostly Gentile Church is taking preeminence.

After the 70th week of Daniel, (Da. 9:24-27) all the Jews/Israel (that are left); after the reign of the Antichrist, (Rev. 11-13) will be saved when they look upon the Messiah/Jesus who they pierced. Zech. 12,13. This will start the 1000 year reign of Jesus on the Earth. (Rev. 20)

Upvote 0

oldrunner

Supporter
Aug 2, 2018
usa
✟37,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
Mutations in the genetic code that increase the probability of survival are passed on to the next generation. In general, what increases survival rates are the development of mechanisms that enable us to better discern the nature of reality.

What is apparent is that, however or for whatever reason, people universally have spiritual tendencies. Spiritual tendencies are as much a part of human nature as the ability to see colours, and taste, and hear and feel tactile sensations.
And the blueprint for our humanity rests in our genetic codes.

If spiritual realms of existence are not real, this would be about the only universal human trait that was developed in order to deal with the world as it isn't, rather than the world as it is.
Yeah, the spiritual tendencies is mostly what I find interesting. And I have always thought that we who believe in Jesus are "hardwired", that way. Much like one computer can run one type of software (respond to the Holy Spirit), and the other computer that has no such hardwiring and cannot read the software-even though outwardly, both computers look the same. :)

The "hardwiring" of the elect explains the mechanism of how they will respond, and how the elect angels never fell in the perfect environment of Heaven. And conversely, how the non-elect will never respond in a positive way, even if given the gospel call.

And Adam and Eve, being not "hardwired", and being the only humans without a sin nature, and a true "freewill", proved that even in a perfect environment, when tested, people will choose evil over God. Of course, redemption was available to Adam and Eve, and God made a "covering" for them. That's what I meant about Adam and eve being an exception.

In eternity, this is why we will never choose to turn against God; because of the hardwiring, the new body with a new spiritual "wanter", with no sin nature- and the leading/indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

• Informative
Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks! :) And I agree with you. I'm a Pre-Mill, Pre-Wrath, Progressive Dispensational, type Christian. And I believe now, only a small remnant of Israel is being saved, because of the partial blindness God has given them, as the mostly Gentile Church is taking preeminence.

After the 70th week of Daniel, (Da. 9:24-27) all the Jews/Israel (that are left); after the reign of the Antichrist, (Rev. 11-13) will be saved when they look upon the Messiah/Jesus who they pierced. Zech. 12,13. This will start the 1000 year reign of Jesus on the Earth. (Rev. 20)

Yes, I see the same in Scripture.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

oldrunner

Supporter
Aug 2, 2018
usa
✟37,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
AU-Democrats
@oldrunner. I just posted a new post on this forum called The first resurrection question. I'd like to see what you think if you care to answer it.
Thanks for the heads up! I'll check it out. :) This is a big place these forums! :eek:

Upvote 0