Is there a denomination that accepts theistic evolution/old earth?

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That last part is probably correct to say. Most Christian churches have long since accepted theistic evolution, so the issue is almost never discussed in church meetings or in sermons.
It's very common in churches I have been to and christian families I have known.

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Scripture is not a science textbook..
..If it doesn't line up with Scripture, it is false and should be rejected as pseudo-science.
Your opening and closing comments would seem to contradict one another.

• Agree
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

GodLovesCats

Mar 16, 2019
Florida
✟117,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
GOD DOES NOT DECEIVE.

I think that is the problem people have. They probably think the "six days" of creation is God deceiving us if it is not literally true. What they fail to consider is the fact that specific details are missing. Genesis 1 is, of course, not about creations followed by extinctions. It also does not go further than "their kinds" for all of the species creations except humans. By "reading between the lines" you can figure out evolution of all life is not denied in the Bible.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's very common in churches I have been to and christian families I have known.
I don't doubt you, but of course it depends on which church or churches you associate with.

For MOST churches and most Christians this is not an issue, although I agreed with you that for some people it still is.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is better to accept God's Word as it is, admitting not understanding some of it,
than to try to re-define what God Says, and risk the consequences.
I have to trust the Old Testament law against murder and not trust the Old Testament law requiring stoning someone to death for working on the seventh day of the week.

Paul did not redefine the law, he merely rejected parts he did not like. Sacrificing a thousand bulls will not cleanse away sin.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I have to trust the Old Testament law against murder and not trust the Old Testament law requiring stoning someone to death for working on the seventh day of the week.

Paul did not redefine the law, he merely rejected parts he did not like. Sacrificing a thousand bulls will not cleanse away sin.
Paul did NO SUCH THING.

• Haha
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think that is the problem people have. They probably think the "six days" of creation is God deceiving us if it is not literally true. What they fail to consider is the fact that specific details are missing. Genesis 1 is, of course, not about creations followed by extinctions. It also does not go further than "their kinds" for all of the species creations except humans. By "reading between the lines" you can figure out evolution of all life is not denied in the Bible.
Yeah that is a tight knot to unravel. If taking a literal interpretation of 6 24 hour days as we know them, and that every single begat in Genesis is the actual timeline of the entire earth +6 days, then you have to believe that either starlight was created in such a way as to appear further away than it really is, and stars appear older than they really are, which serves only one purpose, to make people doubt the Genesis creation story and doubt God Himself. God would be deceptive in this model. Not consistent with God.
If you take a literal interpretation of 6 24 hour days but don't believe that God pulled a fast one to trick people into disbelieving in Him, then you have the conundrum of feeling like God lied to you by claiming 6 days. You will run into problems where you have to ignore perceived lie or another.
A non literal interpretation, is kind of the only way where there are no lies or deceptions, just omissions of less important details. It's only relevant at all because we're curious and want to know more detail so we look into it.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I can't be a young earth creationist, which puts me at odds with most pastors in most denominations of Christianity.
This is not a deal breaker just a different opinion on the matter. As long as Jesus Christ of Nazareth is your KING, the age of the earth is a very moot point.

But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
2 Peter3:8

Be blessed.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Paul did not redefine the law, he merely rejected parts he did not like.
Keep in mind that we cannot say that and still say that we believe the Bible to be divinely inspired (which is virtually the #1 tenet of all Protestant churches).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I can't be young earth, Genesis 1 seems like a "this is a gist of it but I'm not telling you specifics" overview of creation rather than a step by step instruction, allowing for what has been scientifically discovered about the nature of the universe and its age to hold true while still being God's very good creation. I see ongoing geological, cosmological, and biological processes that take very long times to do anything and it only makes absolute sense that those processes have been going on for a very long time, canyons are still being dug by rivers inch by inch, Niagra falls recedes its bank inch by inch over the years. There have been cataclysms such as global flood but there have also been slow processes that continue to go on every day, I have witnessed microevolution in laboratory settings. So there's only so much you can do believing in young earth creationism, and not just blind yourself to everything around you that says the universe is older than 6000 years. You either have to believe that Satan created the evidence (where in scripture has Satan ever been able to create anything?), or believe that God created things to appear older than they really are which seems like, deception. Why create things that would intentionally trick people? God doesn't lie or deceive!
So I can't be a young earth creationist, which puts me at odds with most pastors in most denominations of Christianity.
I believe in Old Earth. I still believe God created it, but I believe he did so using processes we still see at work today. I am not sure if I full blown believe in theistic macroevolution or progressive creationism (God creating things according to "kinds" in waves, which is more consistent with the fossil record, and microevolution being a tool within the genetic code that God created as a blueprint for all life). But microevolution I can't ignore at all. I can't just pretend that DNA just doesn't exist and we're all just scooped up dirt breathed upon by God. In Genesis 2 God even describes anesthesia and surgery to remove one of Adam's ribs (as a source of bone marrow and stem cells) to make Eve (Genesis 2:21-23). Which had always confused me as to why Genesis 2 didn't have God just speaking Eve into existence, but then I learned about stem cells present in bone marrow and the ribs are a flat bone which is one of your main sources of hematopoiesis, it suddenly made perfect sense, God GREW Eve from stem cells from Adam's bone marrow.
Is there any denominations that support old earth and either theistic evolution or progressive creationism?
Yes, most denominations world wide either accept evolution and old universe or do not have any doctrinal statement regarding this.

Catholics, orthodox, luterans, calvinists, most evangelical churches etc. In Europe, Canada and other developed regions, almost any church accepts science.

The only denominations I know of that are loudly against evolution are SDA (even its difficult to call SDA a christian denomination), pentecostals, charismatics and similar. They draw most media attention, though, because media likes conflict, conflict sells. So it looks like its a standard Christian view, to the outsiders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Saying that it's "one poster's personal opinion" (which I share) reads like a defensive reflexive attempt to marginalize the truth in it.

If you are willing to remain ignorant of articulate contrary opinions, you're necessarily going to need to look beyond literature that 'The World' approves of.
When you're ready to make that journey you may find people along the way who are willing to help.
I wish you well either way.
I disagree with your evaluation, having made that journey already that you suggest. I have admitted that this is my own opinion. Thank you for your well wishes.

• Friendly
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Barbarian, regarding YE creationist additions to scripture:
That is man's addition to God's word, which does not say that.

Barbarian on whether the Flood was real or allegorical:
Could have been. There was a great flood in the Middle East, about the right time. Bottom line, we don't know for sure, and no one can demonstrate for sure whether it was an actual event or an allegory.

Interesting. In one breath you judge God's word

You are not God. I'm noting the YE creationist revision of scripture is at odds with scripture as it is.

and then confess you don't really know.

About the flood. No one but God knows if it was a real event or an allegory.

You knew these were two different things. Why would you say otherwise?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,613.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Saying that it's "one poster's personal opinion" (which I share) reads like a defensive reflexive attempt to marginalize the truth in it.

It's not what most Christians believe, but it's not heresy to argue for a literal 6 day creation. Not everything that's in error is a heresy. You won't go to hell for re-interpreting Genesis.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Is there any denominations that support old earth and either theistic evolution or progressive creationism?
Be aware that there are distinctions among people who accept evolution.

First, about half of Christians accept it, but that varies depending upon how the question is worded. Also based on how religious they are. Among those who attend church weekly and consider religion highly important support is less than majority but still substantial.

But there are differences. Many Christians accept that changes have occurred, but interpret Genesis as allowing for that. There are several approaches, such as day-age and gap. However many in the mainline churches, and I think the Catholic church, believe that Genesis is not historical at all. (You're certainly not required to believe that, but it's the usual belief among the leadership.) Evangelical and non-denominational churches that allow evolution often do so with the requirement that you still accept that the Bible is historically inerrant.

• Informative
Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0