Site Supporter
Jun 22, 2007
California
✟551,233.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd say it's more of an implicit doctrine, because there are still people that can interpret things differently (dividing up the Trinity, for instance)....and use the Bible as their support for their arguments.

Reactions: ClementofA
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Even (many of) the trinitarians of every flavor have acknowledge that it is not explicitly referred to anywhere in Scripture.
Nope. Only the word is absent from Scripture. The evidence of God being One in Trinity is unmistakable and unavoidable, however, just judging from Scripture.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'd say it's more of an implicit doctrine, because there are still people that can interpret things differently (dividing up the Trinity, for instance)....and use the Bible as their support for their arguments.
Well, we know people who can tease almost any unorthodox notion out of Scripture, don't we? The point is that the misuse of Scripture is not a proof of anything.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
There are lots of verses that point to the trinity and although the word itself doesn't appear in scripture is it still thought of as an explicit doctrine or is the the concept of the trinity more of an implicit doctrine?
It is my understanding that we are not allowed to discuss this matter unless we agree with the administrators' point of view.

• Winner
Reactions: abysmul
Upvote 0

Barney2.0

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2017
Los Angeles
✟451,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is the word Trinity in the Bible, no it isn’t. But does the Bible make refference to the doctrine of the Trinity and can we piece together the doctrine of the Trinity from the Bible. The answers to those questions are, yes it does and yes we can.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The evidence of God being One in Trinity is unmistakable
What is unmistakable:

One God.
Three persons.
Seven Spirits.

All simultaneously true.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is my understanding that we are not allowed to discuss this matter unless we agree with the administrators' point of view.
Let's keep it to Nicene Christianity then. I'm not trying to prompt some trinity debate I'm just looking at how the trinity is scripturally revealed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Think about this, dwell on this for a while. If it was named (explicitly) , which it isn't, it would have been clear and obvious just like other things named explicitly, like TORAH, like Have Only One God, no idolatry, etc etc etc
There would not be the debates/ differences all through the centuries since it was adopted (sometime after the 2nd or 3rd century, or later, I think).

Who can measure a spirit, even a human spirit, much less YAHWEH'S !
Are you saying it's explicitly taught?

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Let's keep it to Nicene Christianity then. I'm not trying to prompt some trinity debate I'm just looking at how the trinity is scripturally revealed.
There are lots of references to the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit in the Bible. I believe in a Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, but I think I would define the three differently than people who call themselves Trinitarians.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
There are lots of verses that point to the trinity and although the word itself doesn't appear in scripture is it still thought of as an explicit doctrine or is the the concept of the trinity more of an implicit doctrine?

It is not mentioned in scripture. It is a Tradition taught by the Church that has its origins from the beginning.

But when we say "Trinity", remember that it is only a term used to describe the nature of God.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is not mentioned in scripture. It is a Tradition taught by the Church that has its origins from the beginning.

But when we say "Trinity", remember that it is only a term used to describe the nature of God.
No, its not a tradition. Even the Nicene Creed credits Scripture (while making no mention of Tradition).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It is explicitly taught:

1 John 5:7

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Matthew 28:19

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It is explicitly taught:

For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost
Those two verses, in the absence of others that we should consult, would suggest--as many people have suggested--that there are three gods (or a series of other variations on that theme).

That wouldn't be the Christian doctrine of the Trinity.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Nicene Creed is the codification of Tradition.
No, it is the product of a council.

Your church considers everything to be tradition, I realize, but as the term is normally used, its not tradition.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It is explicitly taught:

I would urge that you use caution in quoting either 1 John 5:7 or Matthew 28:19. They are known emendations that do not appear in the originals.

Upvote 0