Christ Aficionado

Jun 19, 2004
Florida
✟390.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Shroud of Turin is real, folks. Why? Because whoever created it could not have possibly had anyway to know that some day from the negative through photography a positive image would be achieved. No way Jose.

And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.-Matthew 28:20

:crosseo:

Upvote 0

AaronFB

Oct 20, 2005
✟7,642.00
Faith
Christian
An easy charge to make, but wrong. I have been studying and teaching Scripture, Theology, and Church history longer then you have been alive.

Well then I guess I don't understand what your claim is. We have emprical evidence about Jewish burial practice during the time of Christ. Am I wrong in the claim that the death and resurrection of Jesus is unusual?

I am having a hard time trying to find biblical or secular texts saying that Joseph and Nicodemus "begged" Pilate for Jesus's body. In fact the bible seems to make quite clear the comming passover was all that was needed to justify a quick burial. If Joseph was a follower of Jesus, it's certainly reasonable to assume that he would have some interest in providing the tomb and the cloth.

So in all your years you must have seen information that the burial of Jesus did NOT follow the normal burial practices of the day, that you have information which makes claims otheriwise with regards to Joseph's and Nicodemus's roles in the burial as well as Joseph's donation of the tomb. So please - share it.

Upvote 0

freemansw

May 18, 2006
Montgomery, Alabama
✟15,422.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Republican
If you think the shroud is authentic then I have some beachfront property on the moon I would like sell you. Really cheap too, a thousand dollars an acre.

Just another trinket to make fools of Christians.

I don't need a worthless peice of cloth to validate my faith in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Matthew 27:58-60 (New International Version)

58Going to Pilate, he asked for Jesus' body, and Pilate ordered that it be given to him. 59Joseph took the body, wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, 60and placed it in his own new tomb that he had cut out of the rock. He rolled a big stone in front of the entrance to the tomb and went away.
----------------------------------------------------

There are conflicting accounts of what occurred beween the cross and the morning of the resurrection, in the Gospels.

However, with the case of the shroud, I believe we have enough evidence to confirm it's authenticity. Matthew's account does back up the shroud, and the shroud backs up Matthew's account.

Upvote 0

KSchmetzer

Apr 15, 2007
Georgia
Visit site
✟7,625.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I'd like to know what tests have been done to show that His flesh could not have supported His body weight had the nails been driven through His hands. I've seen enough carcasses hanging of meat hooks in the fridge at our local butchers to suspect that Christ's hands could easily have taken His weight. He was also a man who spent many days fasting, so it is unlikely that He would have been a heavyweight.

I personally believe the shroud is genuine, but my faith certainly does not depend on it being so.

John
i think Jesus' skin definatley could have held his weight. many magicians have hung by their skin from fish hooks(?). Criss Angel did it with 2 or 4 in his back. Also, the full weight of his body would not have been on his 2 hands because his feet were also nailed to the cross. Jesus was a whole lot stronger than everyone else, too. he took so many beatings and, from what i kno, didn't pass out at all.

Upvote 0

KSchmetzer

Apr 15, 2007
Georgia
Visit site
✟7,625.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The Shroud of Turin is real, folks. Why? Because whoever created it could not have possibly had anyway to know that some day from the negative through photography a positive image would be achieved. No way Jose.

good point. i agree

Upvote 0

Prodigal7

Feb 10, 2007
California
✟11,572.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I was joking with a friend of mine. Maybe I should stop going to church and reading the scripture. Maybe I should begin detailed investigations of the shroud.

The shorud, the apocrypha, and other such things are super interesting. I think they can be distractions as well.

I'm one who tends to get distracted by such interesting phenomena.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stinker

Senior Veteran
Sep 23, 2004
Overland Park, KS.
✟4,880.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A while back the Discovery Channel ended it's documentary of the shroud on a strange note. The scientists concluded that the man's image (we Christians call Him Jesus Christ) was the result of an unknown form of radiation.

Very interesting.

Upvote 0
C

ContentInHim

A while back the Discovery Channel ended it's documentary of the shroud on a strange note. The scientists concluded that the man's image (we Christians call Him Jesus Christ) was the result of an unknown form of radiation.

Very interesting.
I saw that - interesting for sure.

I'm leaning towards authentic. Won't affect my faith one wit if it's not, but I believe that God gives us small "consolations" which just confirm our faith. The "Jesus Boat" would be another item.

Upvote 0

winsome

English, not British
Dec 15, 2005
England
✟19,011.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One theory about the carbon dating being false is that the sample was taken from one corner of the shroud. In earlier times it was exhibited by being held up along the edges. All the handling highly contaminated it. Additional evidence for this is that photographs from an early spectroscopy examination (I think it was) clearly showed heavy contamination along the edge and corners.

There is another point in it's favour of being very early. Apparently an expert seamstress who was repairing it found and almost invisible seam down it. The only cloth known with a similar stiching dates back to Masada which put the cloth right back to the first century.

Reactions: FallingWaters
Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status

I agree with you that that single fact is the most compelling evidence that the Shroud is not a forgery.

Then when you examine all the other evidence concerning the Shroud,
including the fact that it was most likely formed by some unknown form of radiation,
it's logical to conclude that the most likely person on the Shroud is Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Maybe not a hoax but deffinitely not the shroud of Jesus of Nazareth. Because,
by a witness to these things in John 20:7 said:
...and the face cloth, which had been on Jesus' head, not lying with the linen cloths but folded up in a place by itself.

Upvote 0