Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Mischaracterization of the scripture. Hebrew High Pirests needed to offer up daily sacrifices, because their sacrifices didn't really do anything. And what we do at Mass is re-present the sacrifice of Christ. It's a commemoration.

If Jesus' one sacrifice did something - which I agree that it did - then why does it need to be re-presented in order for venial sins to be removed?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You think that 3 or 4 posts is "ad nauseam"? Ye of little perseverance. I'm doing the best I can to understand. I'm studying the catechism and asking Catholics good questions. But in the absence of answers I fear that, at the end of the day, one cannot understand what is incoherent.
It seems to me like you're mischaracterizing what I say. If you really want to talk about this, IM me.

The problem is that this is all miraculous stuff I'm trying to explain. It cannot be expressed, properly, in human terms.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
If Jesus' one sacrifice did something - which I agree that it did - then why does it need to be re-presented in order for venial sins to be removed?
Because Jesus Himself suggested it. "Do this in memory of me." St. Paul says "Whenever we eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes."

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Because Jesus Himself suggested it. "Do this in memory of me." St. Paul says "Whenever we eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes."

I don't deny that Jesus and Paul said these words quoted. I believe that the Eucharist is a sacrament for the church. But the idea of the Eucharist as a propitiatory sacrifice which removes the guilt of venial sins goes beyond these words of Jesus and Paul. It depends on your Tradition and not on Scripture alone. You know that.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't deny that Jesus and Paul said these words quoted. I believe that the Eucharist is a sacrament for the church. But the idea of the Eucharist as a propitiatory sacrifice which removes the guilt of venial sins goes beyond these words of Jesus and Paul. It depends on your Tradition and not on Scripture alone. You know that.
I don't depend on Scripture alone. You know that.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Mischaracterization of the scripture. Hebrew High Priests needed to offer up daily sacrifices, because their sacrifices didn't really do anything. And what we do at Mass is re-present the sacrifice of Christ. It's a commemoration.

Exactly. At this point I think it's time to shake the dust from our feet (Matthew 10:14) as it were in this thread before we throw pearls before swine (Matthew 7:6). They are no where near ready for meat they are still on milk (1 Corinthians 3:2).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Exactly. At this point I think it's time to shake the dust from our feet (Matthew 10:14) as it were in this thread before we throw pearls before swine (Matthew 7:6). They are no where near ready for meat they are still on milk (1 Corinthians 3:2).
You know, it's one thing to know what it is, and reject it. But when you don't know what you're rejecting, you just seem foolish.

A kid was turning 18, and he walked into his father's office and said "Dad, you know my birthday's coming up. You want me to enjoy my birthday? Give me the car of my dreams for my birthday." Dad said "Car of your dreams? What's the car of your dreams?" "Oh, you know, Dad, a Porche 911." "How much does that cost?" "$93,000. I hope you'll give me what I really want." The son's birthday came, and he received a rectangular box-shaped gift from his dad, and was hoping it had a key inside of it, but when he ripped off the paper, he found a Bible. He was furious, threw a fit, and ran to his room, throwing the book against the wall, it fell under the bed. Three days later, the dad died of a heart-attack. Filled with remorse, the son reached under the bed, pulled the Bible out, and noticed an envelope inside the front cover. It read, "Dear Son, I hope by giving you this, you'll discover what life is really all about. Love, Dad." And when he opened it up, he found a check for $93,000.

• Agree
Reactions: Tutorman
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Mischaracterization of the scripture. Hebrew High Pirests needed to offer up daily sacrifices, because their sacrifices didn't really do anything. And what we do at Mass is re-present the sacrifice of Christ. It's a commemoration.

It is an interesting contrast between the Aaronic and Melchizedek priesthoods.

As you see, the Hebrew or Aaronic High Priests offered up daily sacrifices because the sacrifices merely covered sins, but couldn't take away sins (Heb. 10:11).

But Christ offered Himself once for all and then sat down (Heb. 10:12).

That's the contrast. Daily versus once. Covered versus taken away. Standing still sacrificing versus sitting resting accomplished. Offering the blood of others versus His offering Himself. Aaronic versus Melchizedek.

But your Church conflates the two unique priesthoods, seeing the Aaronic as the prefiguring of the New, rather than the Melchizedek as the priestly order, as it says, "1541 The liturgy of the Church, however, sees in the priesthood of Aaron and the service of the Levites, as in the institution of the seventy elders, a prefiguring of the ordained ministry of the New Covenant." do you, however, begin to glimpse to understand the two types of priesthoods?

Upvote 0