Is the church infallible in Protestant theology?

BillMcEnaney

Dec 2, 2022
Moreau, New York
✟23,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The nature of Post-Modern thought is, theoretically, to mine history for relevant information, whether it is in the field of philosophy, architecture, art, or theology, in order to develop a highly refined and, hopefully, superior end product. Modernism, by contrast, rejected historic formulations, and attempted to develop things from new foundations (i.e. reinvent the wheel, as it were). Post-Modernism today incorporates not only pre-Modern theories and philosophies, but relevant aspects of Modernism

By contrast, Traditionalism, which has always existed, rejects contemporary things and clings to those things which have a tried and proven history. The difficulty with Traditionalism is that it follows contemporary trends over time such that what was rejected a century earlier is embraced by Traditionalists a century later as they reject the things of contemporary society.

Finally, there is Conservatism where nothing is permitted to change after a specific point in time. For the Amish that point was reaching in the nineteenth century. For the EOC it was probably sometime in the fifth century.

The RCC is not Conservative, but contains within it Traditinalists such as yourself as well as some Modernists and some Post-Modernists.
I'm a little confused about Post-Modernism because the Post-Modernists I'm familiar with don't seem to want to do what you describe. Were you thinking about people like Michael Foucalt, Jaques Derrida, Jaques Lacan, Jürgen Habermas, and Richard Rorty. To me, they seem to on the intellectual far left.

I'm a Traditionalist Catholic because I want to believe what the Catholic Church has always taught and practice the Faith the way Latin Rite Catholics always did before Vatican II. Some people reject that council. But I resist the novelties, hoping a future pope will repeal them. It seems to me that Vatican II is and always has been disastrous, especially because of its religiously indifferent ecumenism that Pope Pius XI condemned in 1928.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BillMcEnaney

Dec 2, 2022
Moreau, New York
✟23,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm a little confused about Post-Modernism because the Post-Modernists I'm familiar with don't seem to want to do what you describe. Were you thinking about people like Michael Foucalt, Jaques Derrida, Jaques Lacan, Jürgen Habermas, and Richard Rorty? To me, they seem to on the intellectual far left.

I'm a Traditionalist Catholic because I want to believe what the Catholic Church has always taught and practice the Faith the way Latin Rite Catholics always did before Vatican II. Some people reject that council. But I resist the novelties, hoping a future pope will repeal them. It seems to me that Vatican II is and always has been disastrous, especially because of its religiously indifferent ecumenism that Pope Pius XI condemned in 1928.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟476,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Of those groups, however, the PCUSA has done the best job of formulating official doctrine. Many churches still have traditional confessional documents even though their actual theology doesn't quite agree. However recent confessional documents from the PCUSA represent current mainline views.
Forgive me, but if that’s true, why is the PCUSA still losing members at a faster rate than non-mainline churches, some of which also make use of cutting edge textual criticism as well as higher criticism?

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,037.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Forgive me, but if that’s true, why is the PCUSA still losing members at a faster rate than non-mainline churches, some of which also make use of cutting edge textual criticism as well as higher criticism?
From my limited perspective, unlike the UMC which is staging the largest membership loss ever at this moment in the form of the newly-created International Methodist Church, the PCUSA has been sporadically hemorrhaging members fairly sporadically beginning with the Fundamenatalist/Modernist divide in the 1920's. The net result has been a succession of small Presbyterian denominations which, over time, have become increasingly less conservation. The most recent iteration, the ECO, is much more liberal that the Bible Presbyterians, the OPC, or the PCA. Although the actual net result has been many former Presbyterians who have either given up on religion or migrated to other denominations, there are also many active Presbyterians of all theological stripes.

Upvote 0