Is the church infallible in Protestant theology?

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I was just recently reading an article from Catholic apologist John Martignoni, founder of the Bible Christian Society that sparked my interest. In his article he was talking about Protestantism, Church, and Authority. In his article, he pointed out that since no man is infallible, according to Protestant theology, the best possible scenario one can have in a disagreement as to what is or is not authentic Christian teaching between two God-fearing, Jesus-accepting, Bible-reading, Holy Spirit-praying men, is one man’s fallible opinion of what the Bible says vs. the other man’s fallible opinion of what the Bible says. Would non-Catholics agree this to be true?

If you answered yes, what about the church? What authority does the church have within Protestantism? If no individual within Protestantism is infallible and, therefore, no individual within Protestantism has the authority to bind any other individual to their fallible teachings..... what about the church? Is the church infallible in Protestant theology? Does the church have the authority to bind individuals to its teachings?

Since I started this thread in reference to Mr. Martignoni's article, I may refer to said article through out this discussion if you decide to participate. Thank You, and have a Blessed day

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I was just recently reading an article from Catholic apologist John Martignoni, founder of the Bible Christian Society that sparked my interest. In his article he was talking about Protestantism, Church, and Authority.
In his article, he pointed out that since no man is infallible, according to Protestant theology, the best possible scenario one can have in a disagreement as to what is or is not authentic Christian teaching between two God-fearing, Jesus-accepting, Bible-reading, Holy Spirit-praying men, is one man’s fallible opinion of what the Bible says vs. the other man’s fallible opinion of what the Bible says. Would non-Catholics agree this to be true?

The answer to this problem then, would be to declare oneself infallible. Protestants do not do that, but if they did, the problem you point to here would be resolved. That's all that undergirds the Catholic position.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was just recently reading an article from Catholic apologist John Martignoni, founder of the Bible Christian Society that sparked my interest. In his article he was talking about Protestantism, Church, and Authority. In his article, he pointed out that since no man is infallible, according to Protestant theology, the best possible scenario one can have in a disagreement as to what is or is not authentic Christian teaching between two God-fearing, Jesus-accepting, Bible-reading, Holy Spirit-praying men, is one man’s fallible opinion of what the Bible says vs. the other man’s fallible opinion of what the Bible says. Would non-Catholics agree this to be true?

If you answered yes, what about the church? What authority does the church have within Protestantism? If no individual within Protestantism is infallible and, therefore, no individual within Protestantism has the authority to bind any other individual to their fallible teachings..... what about the church? Is the church infallible in Protestant theology? Does the church have the authority to bind individuals to its teachings?

Since I started this thread in reference to Mr. Martignoni's article, I may refer to said article through out this discussion if you decide to participate. Thank You, and have a Blessed day
There is no “Protestant church.” Protestants don’t believe that their churches are infallible. They recognize that Churches are led by people and people are fallible, so obviously their church leadership is fallible.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Christian teaching between two God-fearing, Jesus-accepting, Bible-reading, Holy Spirit-praying men, is one man’s fallible opinion of what the Bible says vs. the other man’s fallible opinion of what the Bible says.

What examples do you have?

Is Pelagianism, the believe that human nature is not tainted by original sin and that we can choose good or evil without any devine aid. This was condemned by Augustine.
Was he right or wrong?

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That's quite true. And it raises the question, "On this subforum, 'Denomination Specific Theology,' which one is the denomination being discussed?"

The only one that's been named so far is the Catholic Church.
Well, I guess one could pick from the many of the different Protestant Denominations out there. Like maybe your own and those of the other posters.

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
That's quite true. And it raises the question, "On this subforum, 'Denomination Specific Theology,' which one is the denomination being discussed?"

The only one that's been named so far is the Catholic Church.
Also, the Catholic Church is not a denomination, but that's another story for another thread.

Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Correct scriptural interpretation is enabled by the Holy Spirit ...

2 John 2

20 Nevertheless you have an anointing from the Holy One, and you all know.

27 Now as for you, the anointing that you received from him resides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things, it is true and is not a lie. Just as it has taught you, you reside in him.

• Haha
Reactions: Daniel Marsh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, I guess one could pick from the many of the different Protestant Denominations out there. Like maybe your own and those of the other posters.
Which is it to be, then--mine or that of the other posters?

And which one of those did you have in mind?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Also, the Catholic Church is not a denomination, but that's another story for another thread.
You're right. It's only the denomination itself which is saying it isn't a denomination, just like it's only the denomination that claims that it is infallible.

Staying with the original topic, ANY church church body can be superior to all others, if all it goes by are its own claims about itself. ;)

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Which is it to be, then--mine or that of the other posters?

And which one of those did you have in mind?
Well, how about you start with your own church and let the other posters discuss theirs? If I recall, you are a member of the Anglican Church, right? So, is your church fallible or infallible?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, how about you start with your own church and let the other posters discuss theirs? If I recall, you are a member of the Anglican Church, right? So, is your church fallible or infallible?

I don't see this thread as a rundown of the beliefs of every denomination in succession. If it's not about the Catholic church, I wondered which ONE it is supposed to concern, considering that the forum is about "denomination specific' issues.

As for the particular question you just asked, I answered that in my first post on this thread.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The answer to this problem then, would be to declare oneself infallible. Protestants do not do that, but if they did, the problem you point to here would be resolved. That's all that undergirds the Catholic position.
I'll take the challenge. The Presbyterian Church (USA) is infallible. There's better evidence for this than for the Catholic Church.

Why do I say that? Only the mainline churches are really using the results of critical Biblical scholarship. While not everyone agrees on every issues, this has largely broken down barriers based on separate traditions. Mainline version of Lutheran, Methodist, Calvinist, and even Catholic theologies are close enough to allow common Biblical scholarship and theology.

Of those groups, however, the PCUSA has done the best job of formulating official doctrine. Many churches still have traditional confessional documents even though their actual theology doesn't quite agree. However recent confessional documents from the PCUSA represent current mainline views.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'll take the challenge. The Presbyterian Church (USA) is infallible. There's better evidence for this than for the Catholic Church.
All right, but I think you'll have to elaborate on your reasons for coming to that conclusion. :)

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There is no “Protestant church.” Protestants don’t believe that their churches are infallible. They recognize that Churches are led by people and people are fallible, so obviously their church leadership is fallible.

So it is your belief there is absolutely no church within Protestantism that is infallible. Got it! Thanks! With that being said Sparagmos, under the Protestant theological system, this means there is not a single Protestant minister who is infallible, so there is not a single Protestant minister who can be guaranteed to get it right every single time they teach and preach on the Bible.... right? If not correct, could you please explain otherwise?

Have a Blessed day

Upvote 0

Fidelibus

Jan 4, 2017
U.S.A.
✟66,007.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
What examples do you have?

Is Pelagianism, the believe that human nature is not tainted by original sin and that we can choose good or evil without any devine aid. This was condemned by Augustine.
Was he right or wrong?

Not caught up on Pelagianism. I'll look into it. Thanks for your input

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So it is your belief there is absolutely no church within Protestantism that is infallible. Got it! Thanks! With that being said Sparagmos, under the Protestant theological system, this means there is not a single Protestant minister who is infallible, so there is not a single Protestant minister who can be guaranteed to get it right every single time they teach and preach on the Bible.... right? If not correct, could you please explain otherwise?

Have a Blessed day
Yes I totally agree with that. I’ve always found the idea that any human could be “infallible” absurd. We all make mistakes. And we certainly have a lot of sad examples of how far some religious leaders can stray...

• Agree
Reactions: Placemat
Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,008.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Of course. Why would I expect any human to be infallible?

Upvote 0