Is the Big Bang Theory consistent with Genesis' Creation account?

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
The Big Bang theory has received widespread acceptance within the scientific community, including scientists who are Christian, Jewish, and atheists. Judging from responses I’ve seen on various threads on this and other Christian message boards, there seems to be a split among you as to whether the Big Bang theory is compatible with the Genesis account of creation.

The purpose of this thread is to give you a chance to voice your opinion and to back it up with data, quotations and data from whatever sources you have found to be beneficial. Please note, however: This thread is NOT about the theory of evolution, as that topic is already covered very nicely in other threads on the CF message boards. Also, if you wish to discuss the age of human beings on this planet, it should be related to the Big Bang theory in some manner, as the topic of the age of human beings on Earth is discussed at least indirectly on other threads on the CF message boards.

So what are YOUR thoughts and beliefs about the Big Bang theory? Is science finally coming around to the Genesis account of creation? Or is it in direct contradiction with what the Bible says? When the Bible talks about the “days” of creation, what do you think it means? Let’s hear your ideas on these and related questions.

unworthyone

Yes this is me! Like my glasses?
Mar 25, 2002
Visit site
✟9,398.00
Originally posted by Sinai
So what are YOUR thoughts and beliefs about the Big Bang theory?

Dating can be misleading but the theory itself has good supporting evidence. It never does discredit God. God may have caused the Big Bang. So I don't know. Its not any worse then a make-believe God that we Christians have though ;)

Upvote 0

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, same here. As a believer of the gap theory, I'd have to say that the big bang is the work of God, as we know that there was an explosion that happened, we can view the expansion of the heavens. But I rather agree with Einstein that where there is an explosion there must be an explosion point, which would imply purpose.

be blessed

John

Upvote 0
as far as big bang and what not.
Do i think man in time can come up w/ an explination? YES
Do i think man can recreate what is not man made to begin w/? Yes

In time can man recreate Gods creation of the earth/life?
Possably.

i mean look at the super string theory. David Green(sp?) is a brilliant man. And i must say i was always taken w/ this theory.

but at no time do i suggest that God didnt not create the World or life. simply that man has proven to been able to recreate/come up w/ exsplinations and reason why stuff happens.

Upvote 0

TheBear

NON-WOKED
Jan 2, 2002
✟304,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by jimmyboy11
[SHADOW=limegreen]God spoke and BANG it happened. [/SHADOW]

sure you can look at it like that
But that's not what the evolutionist want to hear.

[GLOW=limegreen]God Bless![/GLOW]

I guess that could be said of athiest, who do not want to hear about God, in the grand scheme of things. But, that does not address the pure scientific research. Nor does it address the Christians, such as myself, who believe that it is very possible that God created through a slow, evolving process.

John

Upvote 0
I guess that could be said of athiest, who do not want to hear about God, in the grand scheme of things. But, that does not address the pure scientific research. Nor does it address the Christians, such as myself, who believe that it is very possible that God created through a slow, evolving process

Ok yes I did not address the scientific back evidence of this because one, I do not have the time

and two, though I do have my oppinions of these things I am not a scientist. I can't give a well drawn out explaination.

I would like to talk to you john about the evolution idea with God. that's a tight issue

Upvote 0

mac_philo

Veteran
Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
✟17,392.00
Faith
Atheist
The Genesis account is either entirely metaphor, entirely truth, or a mixture of both. I don't see how any of the three options contradicts the big bang theory. If it's literature; no literature contradicts it. If it's truth, there is nothing inconsistent in understanding the Big Bang as satisfying the 'Let there be light,' since light and energy are the same.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blackhawk

Monkey Boy
Feb 5, 2002
Ft. Worth, tx
Visit site
✟22,925.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I do not think either that the Big bang theory is in contradiction to Christianity. One is a scientific theory that can't answer such questions about God and one is religous truth. I also do not see any problem in God using the Big Bang to begin the universe and I do not see a problem with the genesis story. As long as there were people named Adam and Eve that did sin. Which I do not think the Big Bang theory is even concerned with at all.

BH6

Upvote 0

A Christian

Feb 7, 2002
✟655.00
The problem is God Creates light on the first day,
God brings forth dry land on the 2nd day,
God Creates plants the 3rd day,
THEN GOD CREATES ORIGIN FOR LIGHT (SUN, MOON,
and STARS on the 4th day.
The Big Bang would have it all backwards except for
perhaps the LIGHT.
Oh, and don't forget the BILLION and Billions of years
old Carl needed for the whole thing to cool and stars
to form and THEN planets to develope. I simply will
not compromise with arrogant ignorance...

Upvote 0

Sinai

Apr 2, 2002
Visit site
✟1,762.00
Faith
Protestant
[color=dark gold]”In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. And the earth was formless, void and empty, and darkness was over the face of the deep, and the Spirit or Wind of God hovered over the face of the waters.” [/color]Genesis 1:1-2 gives an overview of the beginning of God’s creation of the universe. Verses 3-31 complete the story of creation, which the Bible sets out as occurring on six days. Did God create the universe in a total of 144 hours of our time, or are other interpretations more likely? Judging from the discussions of this and related questions on various threads on both the CF and other Christian message boards I have seen thus far, there seem to be at least five major theories that have been advanced:

1. There are those who ignore what the Bible says, or who disbelieve it or discount it. They point out that scientific measurements place the age of the universe as being between 10-20 billion years of age, with the most likely time being about 15-16 billion years of our time. They say that there is no way to reconcile the Bible to the factual evidence, and therefore they choose to ignore at least this portion of the Bible, dismissing it as a fable or a story Moses merely inserted to answer questions from an unenlightened people wandering in the wilderness. Since they tend not to be Christians or Jews and generally do not recognize the Bible as being the word of God, any biblical evidence to the contrary is generally brushed aside and discounted, or is used to support their claim that the Bible cannot really be trusted as being true.

2. At the other extreme are those who believe the Bible means six consecutive 24-hour periods of time (i.e., 144 hours total), and they choose to ignore, disbelieve or discount the scientific evidence to the contrary, often stating that the appearance of a universe billions of light years across is merely an illusion (much as the fossils and rock strata that appear to be millions or billions of years old were merely “aged” by God to give them the appearance of being ancient), and that God is deceiving us in order to test our faith. Under this theory, the important thing is to not let one’s faith waiver in the face of contrary scientific evidence but rather to stand true to God’s word and one’s faith.

2A. [color=dark red]One offshoot of this theory is interpreting the scriptures [Psalms 90:4 and 2Peter 3:8] that tell us that “With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day” as meaning that each day of Genesis should be treated as a thousand years. Under this variation, creation took 6,000 years instead of six days.[/color]

2B. Another variation off this theory is the Gap theory (also known as the Interval and Restitution theory, the Divine Judgment theory, and the Recreation theory) which was more popular about 50-80 years ago than it is now. It is largely based upon the fact that Hebrew tends to be more general and less specific than English or Greek. Thus, Hebrew words can often have a wider range of meanings. In the first part of Genesis 1:2 ["and the earth it was formless, void and empty"], the verb hayethah (which is generally translated "it was") can also be translated as "it became." Proponents of the Gap Theory therefore claim that Genesis 1:2 should be translated to read "and the earth became formless, void and empty" rather than using the more common translation of the phrase. This theory uses passages (primarily in Isaiah and Ezekiel) regarding the fall of Satan or Lucifer to bolster the theory that the world was created in Gen. 1:1 but became formless and void because of Satan's fall, and then creation continued in verse two.

Then there are those who attempt to reconcile scientific evidence with biblical evidence. Persons who adhere to one of these theories tend to believe that since God is responsible for both the biblical revelation and the natural world, the words of the Bible are true and at the same time are consistent with the facts of nature. In other words, they tend to think that God’s character and attributes are expressed through both channels, and neither negates nor contradicts the other. Theories 3-5 are the primary explanations I have found thus far that attempt to reconcile science and the Bible:

3. Since the Bible does not specifically say that the six days are consecutive, there are those who assert that each “day” is the time God spoke the next period of creation into existence—but there is an undetermined period of time (possibly lasting billions of years) between each day. In other words, adherents of this theory say there were six days of creation (each of which could be 24 hours—or 1,000 years—or some other period of time) separated by other periods of time. Some who follow this theory also point to the staccato pattern revealed in the fossil record, which indicates that there were periods of time when new forms of life suddenly burst onto the scene.

4. There are those who point out that the Hebrew word for “day” is yom, which can mean either a 24-hour period of time or an indefinite period of time. Thus, those who follow this theory say that each “day” was of an indefinite period of time (even millions or billions of years) and Christians shouldn’t get caught up in insisting that the Bible means something here that it probably does not mean.

5. The fifth theory is a more recent one that has been advanced by physicist and Hebrew Bible scholar Dr. Gerald L. Schroeder. He has proposed that the six “days” are in fact six consecutive 24-hour periods of time measured at the speed of outward thrust using Einstein's theory (or law) of relativity and a universal time-clock based on cosmic background radiation and the wavelength of light beginning about the time God initiated creation (what science now calls the Big Bang). Because of time dilation, 144 hours measured at a speed calculated by using such a universal time-clock would be equal to about 15.75 billion Earth-years looking back toward the time of creation.

What do you think? Do any of these five theories make sense to you? Why or why not? Or do you have a different belief or theory? If so, share it and your reasons here. Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZoneChaos

Senior Veteran
Feb 5, 2002
Kansas City, MO
Visit site
✟15,032.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I would probably add "2B": Aged Earth Theory.

That, by design, God created the earth "as is" so to speak. As He created man mature, He also created the universe mature.

It sounds similar to the deception" in "2" except that I am not decieved.. :)

Upvote 0