Is the Bible not our one and only source?

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Oh I see. You take a single verse out-of-context (realizing of course that there were no verses in the NT manuscripts) to prove a point about not taking verses out of context? Okay then...

On a second point, you wrote "I am referring to churches teaching the commandments are no longer required" then follow that with Jesus saying to "keep His commandments". That is self-contradictory! Christians are under grace not under law.
That's such a grave misunderstanding, we are saved by grace, but that does not mean we are free to sin and keep sinning. We are forgiven of our sins when we repent, but Jesus says go sin no more, not keep on sinning. We are supposed to learn from our sins and with the help of the Holy Spirit learn to change our sinful behavior all because we have a new heart and love God.

I would like to provide more scriptures on this and will do so hopefully later today once I have more time. Until then, God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,101.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, we all agree that the Bible is God's word, don't we? God's! If so, how can something that ISN'T God's word be equal to it or more authoritative than it?
Nothing is more Authoratative than God.

Now is the time to post a scripture passage that says God's word in contained only in scripture.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,101.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Did you not read my posts?

THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN BE EQUAL TO OR SUPERIOR TO GOD'S WORD. Because nothing is the equal of God. Both of us agreed that the Bible IS God's word.

Therefore, it's an impossibility that there is any rival "final authority."

Before any of the many Bible verses that prove the point are cited (once again :sigh:) this point above needs to be acknowledged.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,101.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I thought for sure I asked you for scripture where it states Jesus told us to go outside His Word for scriptures. I don't recall anything being posted....

Here are a few. Notice that the Bible is not mentioned

1 Tim 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Mat 18:17 And if he will not hear them: tell the church. And if he will not hear the church, let him be to thee as the heathen and publican.
18:18 Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven.

Jesus tells us to listen to the Church. Paul tells us the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth.

The mistake you are are making is that you think only the bible is God's word. God promised to speak to us through His Church.

Luke 10:16 He that heareth you heareth me: and he that despiseth you despiseth me: and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me.

Mat 28:19 Going therefore, teach ye all nations: baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. And behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,101.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
THERE IS NOTHING THAT CAN BE EQUAL TO OR SUPERIOR TO GOD'S WORD.
ok
Because nothing is the equal of God. Both of us agreed that the Bible IS God's word.
the Bible is part of God's word.
Therefore, it's an impossibility that there is any rival "final authority."
if the Bible was the God's word in totality, you may have a point. As it stands, the Bible IS NOT the totality of God's word.
Before any of the many Bible verses that prove the point are cited (once again :sigh:) this point above needs to be acknowledged.
so, I ask again
Now is the time to post a scripture passage that says God's word in contained only in scripture.
we are all waiting.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Trying to understand your argument, are you saying Jesus did not keep His Fathers commandments like He told us He did?

Of course Jesus kept His Father's commandments, but you're changing the subject. The OP asks, "Is the Bible not our one and only resource?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
That's such a grave misunderstanding, we are saved by grace, but that does not mean we are free to sin and keep sinning. We are forgiven of our sins when we repent, but Jesus says go sin no more, not keep on sinning. We are supposed to learn from our sins and with the help of the Holy Spirit learn to change our sinful behavior all because we have a new heart and love God.

I would like to provide more scriptures on this and will do so hopefully later today once I have more time. Until then, God bless.

This is also changing the subject. When we have received the Holy Spirit, He guides us into all truth. That doesn't mean that we will never again sin, but that our sins are forgiven forever.

Again, this has nothing to do with the OP: Is the Bible not our one and only source.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
ok
the Bible is part of God's word.
Does that mean that we can just pick anything else and declare it to be more of God's word?

if the Bible was the God's word in totality, you may have a point. As it stands, the Bible IS NOT the totality of God's word.
What's to say that it is not?

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,101.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Does that mean that we can just pick anything else and declare it to be more of God's word
We should follow Jesus' commands
What's to say that it is not?
go ahead and believe your man made idea.

You've been very helpful in helping me expose that SS is a man made idea.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Does that mean that we can just pick anything else and declare it to be more of God's word?

We should follow Jesus' commands
go ahead and believe your man made idea.

...and so we see that Holy Scripture is unique as divine revelation. Even if we were to wonder if there could be some other revelation given by God to man, none such is indicated in Scripture.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Of course Jesus kept His Father's commandments, but you're changing the subject. The OP asks, "Is the Bible not our one and only resource?"
I think you need to back up and reread the comments again. I am not saying this to be rude, if you follow the comments from when first someone called me out for answering the OP that I believe in sola scripture that how the topic went to what was said.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,101.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
...and so we see that Holy Scripture is unique as divine revelation. Even if we were to wonder if there could be some other revelation given by God to man, none such is indicated in Scripture.
you can wonder to your hearts content and ignore scripture.

Me, I'll follow what Jesus said. He told us to listen to the Church. He said the Church is the pillar of truth.

You are free to follow what man says. listen only to the bible, the bible is the pillar of truth. Just dont try to convince us all that you are doing what Jesus commanded.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Oh I see. You take a single verse out-of-context (realizing of course that there were no verses in the NT manuscripts) to prove a point about not taking verses out of context? Okay then...

On a second point, you wrote "I am referring to churches teaching the commandments are no longer required" then follow that with Jesus saying to "keep His commandments". That is self-contradictory! Christians are under grace not under law.

Looks like you were the one who went off topic my friend. Not sure why you're calling me out for it.

And maybe you can explain this: I am referring to churches teaching the commandments are no longer required" then follow that with Jesus saying to "keep His commandments". That is self-contradictory!

How is that contradictory? And how is your statement Christians are under grace not under law on topic?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Here are a few. Notice that the Bible is not mentioned

1 Tim 3:15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Mat 18:17 And if he will not hear them: tell the church. And if he will not hear the church, let him be to thee as the heathen and publican.
18:18 Amen I say to you, whatsoever you shall bind upon earth, shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever you shall loose upon earth, shall be loosed also in heaven.

Jesus tells us to listen to the Church. Paul tells us the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth.

The mistake you are are making is that you think only the bible is God's word. God promised to speak to us through His Church.

Luke 10:16 He that heareth you heareth me: and he that despiseth you despiseth me: and he that despiseth me despiseth him that sent me.

Mat 28:19 Going therefore, teach ye all nations: baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. 28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you. And behold I am with you all days, even to the consummation of the world.

The church is not a denomination, the church is built on the foundation of Jesus Christ (His Word) .

1 Corinthians 3:11 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Christ is the head of the church, not the pope, He (Jesus) is our High Priest Colossians 1:18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.

Also we are given the Holy Spirit to help keep His Words/Laws not break them so if any church is leading you away from what God told us, that spirit is not from God, which is why all scripture needs to magnify the Bible, not sprinkle in the "other spirit" to His Word

John 14: 15 “If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16 And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18 I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: pescador
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,101.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The church is not a denomination
The Church is The Church. According to Jesus the Church is One, Visible, and Authoritative. There IS one true Church. I challenge you to search and find the pearl of great price.
the church is built on the foundation of Jesus Christ {His Word) .
you added (His Word). What do you mean by His Word?

Upvote 0