Is the Bible not our one and only source?

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
agreed
every Word of God is not in the Bible. In fact, Jesus said He that hears you hears Me. If you hear the Church, you hear Him.
so true
Basically what you are saying is the scripture quoted is not true, you may want to reread the next verse again saying what happens when you add to His words.

Christs Word is our church and when churches on this earth start tweaking His words there stands the chance they are sprinkling in “the other” spirit Jesus warned us about. Mathew 15:8-9.

God said He changes not and every Word is pure nothing should be added. That’s why I like to stick with scriptures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
This is what I struggle with. The Bible says God knows everything, never changes, and wants everyone to know His Word clearly. So why is the Bible written in a way that allows disagreements on what the verses and chapters mean? If God wants to be clear to everyone, why is the Bible often hard to understand even if you have been saved for decades?

God could limit Himself to a first-grade reader kind of book with details that are easy and anyone can "get them'.

Or He could choose a book that covers the entire spectrum from easy to very difficult, and people at all levels can chew on the bits at their level and always have more to learn ...

He could make some parts so difficult you would need the Holy Spirit as your teacher to get it.

He could write it so that anyone looking for an excuse to ignore it - would find one.

and He did..

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Basically what you are saying is the scripture quoted is not true,
actually, I am the one who is taking the passage from Proverbs for what it says. I also quoted Jesus.
Christs Word is our church and when churches on this earth start tweaking His words there stands the chance they are sprinkling in “the other” spirit Jesus warned us about. Mathew 15:8-9.
I couldnt agree more with that when people start tweaking His word, things go off the rail.
God said He changes not and every Word is pure nothing should be added. That’s why I like to stick with scriptures.
you limit His Word to scripture, something scripture is explicitly against.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
actually, I am the one who is taking the passage from Proverbs for what it says. I also quoted Jesus.
I couldnt agree more with that when people start tweaking His word, things go off the rail.
you limit His Word to scripture, something scripture is explicitly against.
Here is the verse I quoted:

Proverbs 30
5 Every word of God is pure;
He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him.
6 Do not add to His words,
Lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar.

Not sure where it says going outside His word is okay. It says not to add to His words. The Bible is His word.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
His Word is not limited to the Bible. In fact, the Bible teaches most of what Christ did IS NOT recorded.
I guess this is where we will have to agree to disagree. I believe there is a lot more to God outside the Bible, but there is no need to dilute Gods Word, the Bible tells us what He wanted us to know now. Going outside the Bible for instruction, leaves too much room for human error and possibly "the other spirit" to add things God never intended.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
the Bible tells us what He wanted us to know now
you are certainly free to believe this. Just dont claim that your belief is from the Bible. The Bible doesnt claim to tell us all He wanted us to know.

• Winner
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
you are certainly free to believe this. Just dont claim that your belief is from the Bible. The Bible doesnt claim to tell us all He wanted us to know.
I think the fact the churches are teaching people to break Gods laws and not keep them like God commanded is a good example why we should get our scriptures from the Bible only. God said He is unchanging so changing one word is not Biblical.

Upvote 0

GraceBro

Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.
Dec 24, 2017
Central Coast
Visit site
✟102,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The responses I get here may change my mind on this, but my thought is that the Bible is our point of reference and, as blasphemous as this may sound, once one has read the Bible he/she then knows as much as anyone, including men/women of clergy, about what God’s intentions are for us. I mean, the Bible is essentially all we have, right? And, as is evidenced by this site, much of the Bible is open* for interpretation. Why would one who has read the Bible need to turn to clergy unless he didn’t want to take the time to read the Bible himself? We need the advice of doctors, lawyers, mechanics, etc. because we chose not to take the time to study and learn the volumes of information required to become an expert. The Bible contains many pages, but not so many that one couldn’t read it and absorb it in less than say, a year or two. So unless clergy has secret access to some other holy books or writings not included in the Bible, why couldn’t a catholic, for example, who has diligently read his bible, claim to know as much as the Pope about the teachings of God?

I’m not saying that clergy (or the different perspectives of other Christians such as what we see here) doesn’t have its place. For one, clergy performs other important functions beyond Biblical interpretation. And I certainly don’t think it’s a bad idea to turn to clergy for Biblical advice, as we know for sure a clergyman has committed to absorbing the Bible. But for me, the advice dispensed would have to be backed up by a Biblical source/passage. And if such passage is ambiguous, then I feel it’s ok for me to adopt my own interpretation even if it’s different than what the church, or clergy, has either mandated or suggested.

Agree or not?

(*- don’t know that “open” is the right word. “subject to”, maybe?)
The Bible tells us about Jesus, in general. He then becomes our source once we believe Him and our born again.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think the fact the churches are teaching people to break Gods laws and not keep them like God commanded is a good example why we should get our scriptures from the Bible only.
Jesus never told us to get our scriptures from (or listen to as I think you may have meant) the Bible only. :scratch:

• Winner
Reactions: Taodeching
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus never told us to get our scriptures from (or listen to as I think you may have meant) the Bible only. :scratch:
Like I stated many churches are teaching away from Gods word. When a church tells its members they no longer need to keep Gods commandments and gives members select scriptures taken out of context to support this unbiblical theory its taking people away from God. Jesus kept all of His Fathers commandments and asked all of us to do the same:

John 15:10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

This is one example of churches teaching outside the Bible that is not taught in scriptures.

For the record, Jesus did use scriptures when teaching and we are told to follow Him:

Mathew 4:4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’ ”

Mathew 4:7 Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not tempt the Lord your God.’ ”

Mathew 4:10 Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’ ”

Mathew 5:21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’

Mathew 5:33 33 “Again you have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’

There are many other examples, these verses are all references to the OT.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;

Mathew 15
8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ”

I think the scripture has made it abundantly clear we are to only follow Gods words and not mans. God bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
[Mat 23:9 NIV] And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and he is in heaven.

So why do we say "Church Fathers"?
becasue you do not understand what our Lord is saying. He called Abraham father.

That silly old argument has been debunked so many times it is funny that anyone still uses it.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟274,098.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like I stated many churches are teaching away from Gods word. When a church tells its members they no longer need to keep Gods commandments and gives members select scriptures taken out of context to support this unbiblical theory its taking people away from God. Jesus kept all of His Fathers commandments and asked all of us to do the same
ok, but all this STILL doesnt mean we ignore Jesus' words or make up our own rules like SS.
John 15:10 If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

This is one example of churches teaching outside the Bible that is not taught in scriptures.
?
For the record, Jesus did use scriptures when teaching and we are told to follow Him:

Mathew 4:4 But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.’ ”

Mathew 4:7 Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall nottempt the Lord your God.’ ”

Mathew 4:10 Then Jesus said to him, “Away with you, Satan! For it is written, ‘You shall worship the Lord your God, and Him only you shall serve.’ ”

Mathew 5:21 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not murder, and whoever murders will be in danger of the judgment.’

Mathew 5:33 33 “Again you have heard that it was said to those ofold, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’

Yes, Jesus taught from the Tanakh.
2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,
Paul is referencing the Tanakh. And I dont know anyone who would say that it is not profitable for doctrine. Notice Paul doesnt say ONLY the Tanakh.
I think the scripture has made it abundentaly clear we are to only follow Gods words and not mans. God bless
you have yet to demonstrate that God's words are limited to the Bible. Until then, dont be surprised if people dont accept the way YOU choose to look at the Bible.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
ok, but all this STILL doesnt mean we ignore Jesus' words or make up our own rules like SS.
?
Yes, Jesus taught from the Tanakh.
Paul is referencing the Tanakh. And I dont know anyone who would say that it is not profitable for doctrine. Notice Paul doesnt say ONLY the Tanakh.
you have yet to demonstrate that God's words are limited to the Bible. Until then, dont be surprised if people dont accept the way YOU choose to look at the Bible.
Weird I am advocating to obey Gods Words, not ignore them. What is more interesting is that you provided a lot of opinions without scripture references where it shows Jesus said we should go outside of His Word for scripture, which is basically the opposite of what the scriptures I provided says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Like I stated many churches are teaching away from Gods word. When a church tells its members they no longer need to keep Gods commandments and gives members select scriptures taken out of context to support this unbiblical theory its taking people away from God. Jesus kept all of His Fathers commandments and asked all of us to do the same:

Mathew 4:7 Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall nottempt the Lord your God.’ ”

Mathew 5:33 33 “Again you have heard that it was said to those ofold, ‘You shall not swear falsely, but shall perform your oaths to the Lord.’

Isaiah 8:20 To the law and to the testimony! If they do not speak according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
And lean not on your own understanding;

Mathew 15
8 ‘These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
9 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’ ”

I think the scripture has made it abundentaly clear we are to only follow Gods words and not mans. God bless

What did you mean by saying "... gives members select scriptures (from both Testaments) taken out of context to support this unbiblical theory"? Do your out-of-context scripture selections support your unbiblical theory?

Secondly, who is "Mathew"? What does "nottempt" mean? And "ofold"? And "abundentaly"? And "Gods words" And "mans"? (no apostrophes)

How can anybody accept your understanding of 17th Century English? If you are criticizing others for their supposed misinterpretation, why not look to your own use of language for a start?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
What did you mean by saying "... gives members select scriptures (from both Testaments) taken out of context to support this unbiblical theory"? Do your out-of-context scripture selections support your unbiblical theory?

Secondly, who is "Mathew"? What does "nottempt" mean? And "ofold"? And "abundentaly"? And "Gods words" And "mans"? (no apostrophes)

How can anybody accept your understanding of 17th Century English? If you are criticizing others for their supposed misinterpretation, why not look to your own use of language for a start?
I am referring to churches teaching the commandments are no longer required. This verses is a quote from Jesus very clearly saying the opposite.

Also, those were typos, on the scriptures quoted, I’ll correct them once I have a moment. Thanks for pointing it out.

What is it you disagree with?

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, we all agree that the Bible is God's word, don't we? God's! If so, how can something that ISN'T God's word be equal to it or more authoritative than it?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I am referring to churches teaching the commandments are no longer required. This verses is a quote from Jesus very clearly saying the opposite.

What is it you disagree with?

Oh I see. You take a single verse out-of-context (realizing of course that there were no verses in the NT manuscripts) to prove a point about not taking verses out of context? Okay then...

On a second point, you wrote "I am referring to churches teaching the commandments are no longer required" then follow that with Jesus saying to "keep His commandments". That is self-contradictory! Christians are under grace not under law.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟477,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Trying to understand your argument, are you saying Jesus did not keep His Fathers commandments like He told us He did?

Upvote 0