Is the Bible allowed to have fiction/legend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adalbert

May 11, 2006
Colorado
✟15,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Feike said:
Remember that at the time revelation was written, the Bible as a book did not exist. It seems unlikely that John was speaking about the Bible as a whole, more about his prophecy in particular.
Then you are suggesting a nearsighted God and one who would not know what the future holds.

"YE shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you." Deuteronomy 4:2

God again in Deut. 12:32, repeats His command---"What thing soever I command you, observe to do it; you shall not add thereto, nor take away from it."

What are we doing when we add and take away from God's word?
When anyone confesses to be of Jesus Christ, but then adds or takes away from God's Holy, Inspired Word, this person, whether minister or member, perverts, corrupts and adulterates the understanding and wisdom of Christ's Word! This is a serious sin against God, His Word, His commandments, and His purpose for man, and a sin that will have to be paid with one's life.

Don't you agree that God's word is perfect as it comes from HIM?

Christ is warning here in Revelation, if anyone who believes he has been accepted into the book of life, must remember that he can be taken out of Christ's book of eternal life, meaning his salvation will be taken away if he adds or takes away from God's Word, or if he is supporting any minister who adds and takes away from Christ's prophecy and law, that Christ commands to be kept, as written in Revelation.

http://www.donina.org/addingtakingaway.html

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Adalbert said:
snip snip to address a single issue

When anyone confesses to be of Jesus Christ, but then adds or takes away from God's Holy, Inspired Word, this person, whether minister or member, perverts, corrupts and adulterates the understanding and wisdom of Christ's Word! This is a serious sin against God, His Word, His commandments, and His purpose for man, and a sin that will have to be paid with one's life.

snip snip to address a single issue

http://www.donina.org/addingtakingaway.htm

Thanks for the link, the website is rather difficult to read but it looks to be a "Church of God/Armstrongism" breakaway. I'm rather used to seeing people deny the doctrine of the perseverance of the Saints but this is the first time i've seen someone say that changing the Bible will mean that "a sin that will have to be paid with one's life. "

It actually is kind of amazing that people would say such things, but i guess if i hang around here long enough i will hear lots of odd teachings.

If you know the website well enough, i'd like to read a statement of faith with their principles outlined, but as yet unable to find one.

Upvote 0

Feike

Mar 14, 2006
✟10,429.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Adalbert said:
Then you are suggesting a nearsighted God and one who would not know what the future holds.
I am suggesting no such thing. The verse clearly states that the warning is aimed at anyone who adds or removes anything from the prophecy of this book. I think John would have stated it differently if he was talking about the Bible as a whole, he might have used the word scriptures, as the Bible was not a book at that time.
I'm not saying we can change the contents of the Bible at will, but these verses don't lead me to this conclusion.
Adalbert said:
God's word is indeed perfect. But the Bible has not been written by God himself, it has been written by sinners who were inspired. This means that when reading the Bible we shouldn't just look at the text in itself, but we also need to consider what the audience was and who the writer was.
The citations from Deuteronomy seem to be aimed at the people of Israel and are clearly about the commandments of God. Broadening the meaning of these verses shouldn't happen without a clear indication in the surrounding text.

As a note: I'm not saying that the Bible is not inspired, or that it should be read as fiction, but we should read and interpret the Bible carefully, as writers, audiences, culture etc. differ in every part of the Bible

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Willtor

Not just any Willtor... The Mighty Willtor
Apr 23, 2005
Cambridge
Visit site
✟32,287.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Adalbert said:

"YE shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you." Deuteronomy 4:2

God again in Deut. 12:32, repeats His command---"What thing soever I command you, observe to do it; you shall not add thereto, nor take away from it."

Christ is warning here in Revelation, if anyone who believes he has been accepted into the book of life, must remember that he can be taken out of Christ's book of eternal life, meaning his salvation will be taken away if he adds or takes away from God's Word, or if he is supporting any minister who adds and takes away from Christ's prophecy and law, that Christ commands to be kept, as written in Revelation.

http://www.donina.org/addingtakingaway.html

Hmmm... Do you think the prophets were acting in opposition to the will of God by recording further revelation beyond Deuteronomy?

Also, in the Revelation citation, is it Christ's book of Salvation or does it mean that the person will die? Not that I'm particularly eager to find out either way, but the term is used both ways in Revelation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.