Is the Bible Against inappropriate content?

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was reading an article posted by the BBC today reporting people who view inappropriate content are more likely to divorce and seven times more likely to do casual sex (promiscuity a.k.a. fornication). This is not the way to successful marriage and family development. I was wondering how much is the Bible is against inappropriate contentography?

Is inappropriate content harmful? The evidence, the myths and the unknowns

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was wondering how much is the Bible is against inappropriate contentography?

How many different places does the Bible condemn lust and adultery? Quite a few, and the repercussions of inappropriate content are testimony to God's opposition.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Short answer, yes. What is inappropriate content? Erotic images of somebody whom you are not in a covenant relationship with (before God) and you are fantasizing in your heart (lust) for a woman outside of the woman you are with. Since Yeshua revealed the spirit or intent of the commandment concerning adultery as going as deep as "lusting in your heart," then inappropriate content, if you are married, is a form of adultery.

Not to mention how it fills one's mind with imagery that is unrighteous and against the character of the God we serve.

Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Any one who truly understands God’s worldview knows His opinion on sexual immorality and the many warnings in His Word regarding it. Even when the Bible does not use a specific word using Scripture to interpret Scripture it becomes easier to grasp His unspoken reasonings for ungodly and unholy behaviour.

As for a specific % answer of how much of His Word is dedicated to sexual immorality I do not know but there are multiple warnings which leads me to believe it is a fairly big certain no go area for His faithful followers. Enough to be obvious to those inside and outside of the church for sure.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The sin is that women and children are the victims . I know some women enter it voluntarily, but too often thats not the case
There are women who stray as well... we need to be careful not to indict only men here. :) But you are correct, there are ALWAYS victims with this sin... just as there are any sin. There is an order to things, and order to our family... to our congregations... and when somebody acts out of sins the body as a whole is damaged, sometimes to the point where even the reputation of God is damaged because of the actions of those who claim to be His. :(

Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The sin is that women and children are the victims . I know some women enter it voluntarily, but too often thats not the case

Just for the sake of clarity, I hope you are not saying that inappropriate contentography involving willing "actors" isn't sinful.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2017
Indore
✟9,506.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was reading an article posted by the BBC today reporting people who view inappropriate content are more likely to divorce and seven times more likely to do casual sex (promiscuity a.k.a. fornication). This is not the way to successful marriage and family development. I was wondering how much is the Bible is against inappropriate contentography?

Is inappropriate content harmful? The evidence, the myths and the unknowns

You shall be holy, for I am Holy- your Lord and God. Lev.19:2

Blessed are those who wash their robes, so they may have the right to tree of life and may enter the city by its gates. But outside are the dogs, the sorcerers, the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters, and every one who loves the practices falsehood. Rev.22:14-15

But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. Mat. 5:28

There are many aspects of Christian life where there is no chance of compromise. You are to simply follow his command. So there is no question about it that inappropriate content s is definitely harmful because it pollutes mind, heart and spirit.
Jesus forgave the adulterous woman being caught in the very act of adultery but he did not justifies her sinful action. Be filled with the Holy Spirit and come out of this terrible sin.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is a sizable (and growing) percentage of the inappropriate content market that shows gay men (male on male action), and the primary consumers of this is straight women.

I don't see women as the victims there, unless you are talking about the women who end up hooked on it.

• Agree
Reactions: Zoii
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just for the sake of clarity, I hope you are not saying that inappropriate contentography involving willing "actors" isn't sinful.
If news reports ( and made for TV movies) are to be believed, there is an awful lot of "sexting" going on which is just another form of inappropriate content. And that is mostly from willing "actors," at least willing in the first iteration.

• Agree
Reactions: Phil 1:21
Upvote 0

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If news reports ( and made for TV movies) are to be believed, there is an awful lot of "sexting" going on which is just another form of inappropriate content. And that is mostly from willing "actors," at least willing in the first iteration.

Much agreed. But we need to make sure we don't think the only sin in inappropriate contentography is in its creation, but also in its use.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Any one who truly understands God’s worldview knows His opinion on sexual immorality and the many warnings in His Word regarding it. Even when the Bible does not use a specific word using Scripture to interpret Scripture it becomes easier to grasp His unspoken reasonings for ungodly and unholy behaviour.

As for a specific % answer of how much of His Word is dedicated to sexual immorality I do not know but there are multiple warnings which leads me to believe it is a fairly big certain no go area for His faithful followers. Enough to be obvious to those inside and outside of the church for sure.
Paul used the Greek word "inappropriate contenteia" in his communications to the Corinthians to condemn sexual immorality. I am not a Greek scholar, but this word may have described promiscuity or prostitution. A brothel with inappropriate content scenes painted on its walls was uncovered during the excavations of Pompeii, Italy. The translators of the King James Version of the Bible translated "inappropriate contenteia" as fornication; that meant premarital sex. inappropriate content photos or video showing people doing sex outside of marriage or homosexuality may be damaging as the article stated. Jesus taught it is wrong to harbor thoughts of doing sexually immoral things.

Upvote 0

Aimz

member with autism
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2017
TQ
✟50,794.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not a Greek or Hebrew scholar either but that is very interesting! Thank you for sharing it.

I see a lot of unbelievers using the argument for specific words not being used in the Bible to be an excuse even though a general idea can be understood by most. That was my reasoning behind it.

I am reading a BBC article about Jaffa Cakes but that is not so conversation worthy!

Paul used the Greek word "inappropriate contenteia" in his communications to the Corinthians to condemn sexual immorality. I am not a Greek scholar, but this word may have described promiscuity or prostitution. A brothel with inappropriate content scenes painted on its walls was uncovered during the excavations of Pompeii, Italy. The translators of the King James Version of the Bible translated "inappropriate contenteia" as fornication; that meant premarital sex. inappropriate content photos or video showing people doing sex outside of marriage or homosexuality may be damaging as the article stated. Jesus taught it is wrong to harbor thoughts of doing sexually immoral things.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul used the Greek word "inappropriate contenteia" in his communications to the Corinthians to condemn sexual immorality. I am not a Greek scholar, but this word may have described promiscuity or prostitution.
That word is used a lot in the NT. Notably, it is used in the "4 commandments" for gentile believers in Acts 15.

Since the word has "inappropriate contentas" as its root, the name for a class of slaves in Greek society devoted to the sex trade, it has the connotation of being enslaving and connected to prostitution. inappropriate contentia also has the added meaning (by the greek speaking Jewish community) of covering all of the sexual prohibitions of the OT.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A brothel with inappropriate content scenes painted on its walls was uncovered during the excavations of Pompeii, Italy.
Indeed. And not just in brothels. They were all over most of the upper class houses as well.

inappropriate contentography = inappropriate contentas + graphos The writings and pictures of prostitutes.

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There are women who stray as well... we need to be careful not to indict only men here. :) But you are correct, there are ALWAYS victims with this sin... just as there are any sin. There is an order to things, and order to our family... to our congregations... and when somebody acts out of sins the body as a whole is damaged, sometimes to the point where even the reputation of God is damaged because of the actions of those who claim to be His. :(
I find it hard to admit but it is true. We go to God and ask for forgiveness only to commit that sin again, it is a mockery of God and puts him to shame.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I find it hard to admit but it is true. We go to God and ask for forgiveness only to commit that sin again, it is a mockery of God and puts him to shame.
And then as some point, Luca... one has to ask when "sin" becomes "rebellion?" It is one thing to make a mistake, we all do and God not only knows that but expects it and also expects us to learn from it so that we, at some point, cease making the same mistakes. But when we don't grow, and we keep doing the same thing over and over... is God willing to forgive us? I would say yes... but are we within His will because we asked forgiveness but then never really repented? I think the answer is obvious.

Blessings.
Ken

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is a difference in the Hebrew concept of sin, and regardless of what language the NT was written in, the mindset was obviously Hebrew, these were Jews. So with that said, in Hebrew there are three word that we tend to view as "sin" but in Hebrew are more specific. They are chata'ah, avon, and pesha. In short (you can send me a message if you want a longer definition for these since this isn't the thread topic) the first, chata'ah... means to miss the mark but implies that one is actually attempting to hit the mark. So the 'sin' is unintentional or unknown. Avon is missing the mark by one who generally has the intent to hit the mark but who gets caught up in an emotion and temporarily aims at another target. Pesha is rebellion, knowing the mark and aiming at anything else but the mark God desires.

I think in the verse you mention, we are not looking so much at sin but at rebellion... remaining in sin after one knows it is sin is rebellion. Just my humble opinion though. :)

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: -Luca
Upvote 0