• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Featured Is temptation, in and of itself, sin?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by public hermit, Apr 7, 2021 at 4:49 PM.

1. fhansen

fhansen Oldbie

+1,967
    Catholic
    Married
    I believe the Reformers, generally speaking, equated concupiscence with the state of original sin, something like having a “sin nature”. Catholicism denies this, seeing concupiscence as the “tinder for sin”, a result of original sin but not the essence of it as that would make it impossible for man to combat. As it is, fallen man is not changed in nature or totally depraved but weakened in will, attracted to lesser, created things over the Creator, with little control over his natural desires and appetites to the extent that he’s not in a state of full subjugation to and communion with God, a relationship structured on love.

Those desires, God-created as they are, become harmful, corrupted, disordered, sinful when they become a god or idol in and of themselves. John speaks of this three-fold covetousness in 1 John 2:16,
    For everything in the world--the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life--comes not from the Father but from the world.”

This is where normal and healthy desires or needs become lust: for pleasure, for wealth/possessions, and for self/glorification, the worldly things that we tend to drool over. So, for example, desire for money and the necessary security it brings is right until it becomes greed or miserliness, the center of our focus where we base our worth and happiness around it. We have control over this, we can resist the temptations and overcome it, with struggle but now with the help of grace:
    “So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh— for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.” Rom 8:12-13

Man is inevitably sinful to the extent that he’s separated or apart from God, the state of being that Adam opted for. The basis of man’s justice or righteousness is communion with God.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 5:41 AM
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,681
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    Being at her doorway in a personal context (while not yet sin) is definitely not neutral.

3. GraceBro

GraceBro Eternally Forgiven, Alive, and Secure.

+561
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Mankind was created by God with the need for love, acceptance, meaning, and purpose to life. However, He created us in such a way that only He can meet those needs in Christ Jesus through the indwelling Holy Spirit. But, what people do is they look to the world and the people around them as if they were put there for the purpose of meeting those needs. Temptation is not a sin. However, what temptations do is they tempt the needs that we have. The temptation comes along and says, "If you sin, then you will feel that you are loved, that you have a purpose in life, and that you will be accepted if you engage in sin." But, when you rest in God's love, acceptance, and purpose, then these sins will no longer have any meaning. You will say no to sin because you don't want to sin. You will be at peace and you will be at rest in your heart because of what you have received from your God.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Cormack

Cormack “I bet you're a real hulk on the internet...”

+652
    United Kingdom
    Baptist
    In Relationship
    So true. :tearsofjoy:

5. chad kincham

chad kincham Well-Known Member

+596
    Christian
    Married
    If it was, then Jesus sinned when tempted by Satan for 40 days... and we know He’s sinless.

You can relax over this one..

6. daydreameranastasia

daydreameranastasia Just a library lady

+414
    Germany
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Idk whenever I’m tempted I (try) to say Go away like Matt 4:10

7. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints! Supporter

+4,681
    United States
    Charismatic
    Married
    US-Others
    "Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."
    James 4:7 NKJV​

8. Strong in Him

Strong in Him I can do all things through Christ Supporter

+5,924
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    :oldthumbsup:
    That's the Scriptural position.

No.
    I don't know what Calvin was talking about, but after his baptism, Jesus was led into the wilderness, by the Spirit, to be tempted, Mark 1:12, Luke 4:1. That would imply that the Spirit sent Jesus off to sin.
    If Jesus had sinned, he could not have died for our sins = no Christian faith.

9. Strong in Him

Strong in Him I can do all things through Christ Supporter

+5,924
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Married
    No, that's the devil/our sinful human nature trying to pull us away from God.
    It's not a sin unless we give into it.

Apart from the wilderness, Jesus once prayed "if it is possible let this cup pass from me" - there were, at least, a few seconds where the Son of God wanted/asked for another way of accomplishing God's will.
    But that wasn't sin.
    If it had been, he would not have been sinless and qualified to bear the sins of the world; so he might as well have avoided the cross.

10. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+2,586
    Christian
    Private
    the desire is temptation, the tickled part is acting on temptation

11. public hermit

public hermit social troglodyte Supporter

+6,546
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I can't tell of you're interpreting Calvin's statement or disagreeing with it. He clearly means to say the "tickled part" is the desire.

12. chilehed

chilehed Veteran

+1,124
    Catholic
    Married
    I did read the full post.

Make up your mind: either all temptation is sin, or it's not.

Here's a hint: not only did Jesus not commit a sin for which he was not culpable, but he did not commit even the slightest sin at all.

I'm not the one who sounds confused here.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021 at 6:48 AM
  13. public hermit

+6,546
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I thought about something you said on another thread (can't remember where). You mentioned something to the effect that we too often think of Jesus as a kind of superman who was beyond the vicissitudes of human experience. You were saying it doesn't do justice to the Incarnation. I don't want to put words in your mouth, but it seemed to apply here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. spiritfilledjm

spiritfilledjm Well-Known Member Supporter

+258
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Nope, Calvin was wrong, Augustine was right. If it was a sin, we would not even be tempted because by being tempted at all, that would be a sin and therefore that would mean that there is no door for us to get away from our temptation before we act on it and it becomes a sin. Therefore, Calvin's view completely nullifies 1 Corinthians 10:13.

15. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+867
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Are you referring to his comment regarding his disciples who, exhausted with sorrow (Luke 22:45), he found sleeping (Matthew 22:41)?
    Because theirs was "sinful flesh" with a moral weakness Jesus did not have.

Are you saying Jesus personally experienced the "sin" problem?
    Or just that flesh, in and of itself, is limited and, therefore, "weak"?

16. Clare73

Clare73 Blood-bought

+867
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    Would not his strong natural desire to avoid the pain and suffering of the cross, "overwhelming him with sorrow to the point of death" (Matthew 26:38), constitute subjective temptation?

Am I missing something obvious here?

17. TedT

TedT Member since Job 38:7

+42
    Canada
    Christian
    Married
    Consider:
    James 1:13 When tempted, no one should say, “God is tempting me.” For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He tempt anyone. 14 But each one is tempted when by his own evil desires he is lured away and enticed. 15 Then after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death.… tells us that righteousness, ie GOD, does not tempt people but people are only tempted by their inner sinful desires. No personal evil desires, no temptation, so it might not be a sin to be tempted but since only a sinner can be tempted it is a sure sign of sinfulness.

18. DamianWarS

DamianWarS Follower of Isa Al Masih Supporter

+2,586
    Christian
    Private
    my point is that temptation is not sin, Christ was tempted and Christ did not sin. However, if we become so engrossed by our temptations that they "tickle" us then we are inviting the temptation in and we have already sinned within our heart. Christ himself picks up on this in Matthew 5 that sin starts in the heart. I may look at a woman, recognize she is beautiful and then I may take a longer look. With the longer look, I am tickling the temptation and the violation has already started.

19. public hermit

+6,546
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    I don't think your missing anything. I'm assuming, rightly or wrongly, that Jesus experienced more temptations than just the wilderness experience and the garden experience.

Mostly, I have in mind Hebrews 4:15

"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who in every respect has been tested as we are, yet without sin."

What is the reference of "in every respect"?

Is it the objective forms of temptation, so that he was tempted objectively in all the ways we are tempted. Is it the internal/subjective experience of desiring the objective temptation? Both?

I take it both Aquinas and Calvin would say that Jesus did not experience the internal desire to sin. He was objectively tempted in all the ways we are, but no internal impulse to acquiesce.

20. public hermit

+6,546
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    This is the part that causes the question. If only sinners can be tempted, then Jesus was not tempted, right?

• List