• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Is swearing in your Mind a sin?

Discussion in 'Christian Advice' started by Jags, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Jags

Jags Member

+88
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    I sometimes swear in my mind when reading something but not out loud nor swearing on god
    is this considered a sin?

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. NothingIsImpossible

NothingIsImpossible Well-Known Member

+2,837
    Christian
    Married
    I find our minds are sometimes harder to control as they can be thinking sudden thoughts instantly without you even wanting to think about it. Swearing is a sin but I think God is bit more understanding when it comes to your mind. Unless you mean like someone cuts you off in traffic and in your mind you swear at them. In that case you chose to swear.

3. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,946
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Swearing is a substitute for thinking. And at worst comes from hatred. But the same hatred masks itself by substituting cuss words with more acceptable versions. Holy Smoke, Cheese and crackers. Judas Priest, Friggin this or that......

4. Jags

Jags Member

+88
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    like sometimes i get swear words that just come into my mind and i say them in my mind and i can't control it so basically you would say this isn't really a sin?

5. Andrew77

Andrew77 The walking accident Supporter

+1,207
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Constitution
    I don't even know. I think so.

Regardless it's a bad idea, and I try and clear my mind of those thoughts, because in the end whatever you think in your mind, will eventually come out of your mouth. Guarantee it.

So best to clear your mind, before you end up needing to clear your mouth.

6. Jags

Jags Member

+88
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    Alright. I had these kind of thoughts come into my mind much more before i started praying for help right now it doesn't seem as bad as it was before.

7. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+2,662
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Since this is an act that is occurring in your mind, it is your mind that will have to determine whether or not it is a sin. What is it that your mind tell you? If it tells you it is bad and wrong.....then it is bad and wrong. If it ignores it, as though it was a normal regular word....you can ignore them as well.

8. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+4,883
    Christian
    Single
    It seems our process of doing away with sin in our lives starts with the out ward, so if you aren't doing it outwardly, you're making good headway. i would think your's would be a pretty minimal sin but keep working on it, and even what's just in the mind may dwindle just as the outward did.

Compared to me, you're doing well if it's only in your mind...I still slip on occasion when surprised.

9. eleos1954

eleos1954 God is Love Supporter

+1,551
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    When it happens "in your mind", or otherwise, ask the Lord to take these thoughts away from you .... pray every time you have these thoughts.

God Bless.

10. socal poppy

socal poppy New Member

+4
    United States
    Protestant
    Married

11. Joined2krist

Joined2krist Well-Known Member

+431
    Catholic
    Single
    As long as you're conscious of it and you accept it, it's a sin

12. A Realist

A Realist Living in Reality

+621
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I don't think so.

Other than taking the Lord's name in vain, please provide a list of swear words from the Bible.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  13. RaymondG

+2,662
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    "74 Then began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew."

I do not believe this passage refers to taking the Lord's name in vain...

14. pgp_protector

pgp_protector Noted strange person

+15,598
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    Well I'm doomed yet again.

15. A Realist

A Realist Living in Reality

+621
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Sure would like to know what curse/swear words he was using. The bible seems strangely silent about what constitutes a cuss word.

Seems to me that "cuss" words are a product of societal mores. Shoot, there are phrases used nowadays like "this sucks" that were considered filthy language back in the 60's / 70's when I was coming of age.

16. RaymondG

+2,662
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I agree, this is why it is best that the exact list of words arent listed.....so to not make longer our list of ways to sin.

Words only mean what we believe they mean. Only the speaker can know whether or not words they utter are meant to harm another....therefore only they know if it is a sin for them. likewise Only the hearer can decide which words they hear that will offend them, make them blush, cry, laugh, feel good....etc...

I think it would be wise to learn to create no emotional attachments to any words spoken or uttered....

17. Johan_1988

Johan_1988 New Member

+30
    South Africa
    Pentecostal
    Single
    Like any other sin immediately repent. I understand that you might come from a situation where you heard it a lot and it's kinda hard to forget, but don't worry just keep on confessing that sin to Jesus Christ. Also stop when you are doing so and think about the rationality of what you are doing and the gravity of the wrong you are doing by looking into your heart and asking yourself:" I say I love God ,but why am I doing this?". This goes for any bad habit.

18. Jags

Jags Member

+88
    United States
    Christian
    Single
    The words that come to my mind starts with C i have no other urge to use other swear words

19. Dave L

Dave L Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,946
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    This works for me.
    Here's my approach to walking in the Spirit.

“Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” (2 Corinthians 10:5) (KJV 1900)

We censor every impure thought or imagination. And change the channel in our thinking on any thought that does not conform to obedience to Christ.

And we replace it with:

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

Knowing Jesus is God and God is love. So Jesus is lord of our lives when love rules our thoughts and actions.