Is Sola Scriptura a valid Biblical position?

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know because Sola Scriptura is not a term found in the Bible. I prefer to stick to the wording of the Bible in my debates.

I know the following:

Matthew 23:
1 Jesus said to the crowds and to his disciples, 2“The scribes and the Pharisees sit on Moses’ seat, 3 so do and observe whatever they tell you, but not the works they do. For they preach, but do not practice.

2 Thessalonians 2:
15 brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter.

I don't dismiss any evidence. Instead, I weigh them, including Didache, Josephus, Irenaeus, etc.

If you ask 5 people for the definition of Sola Scriptura from memory, you'll get 6 different definitions :)

There is also Prima Scriptura.

Last edited:

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I don't know because Sola Scriptura is not a term found in the Bible. I prefer to stick to the wording of the Bible in my debates.

I know the following:

Matthew 23:

2 Thessalonians 2:

I don't dismiss any evidence. Instead, I weigh them, including Didache, Irenaeus, etc.
The issue of whether or word or phrase is used by the Bible is not important, but rather what is important is whether or not the concept that it refers to is something that is taught by the Bible. In Acts 17:11, the Bereans were praised because they diligently tested everything that Paul said against OT Scripture to see if what he said is true, so Sola Scriptura is essentially saying that we should follow that precedent whenever someone tries to teach us something. However, there is a difference between accepting the teachings of someone from outside of a community as Acts 17:11 is speaking about and the leaders of a community having the authority to make rulings for that community that its members should follow as Matthew 23:2-4 is speaking about.

In Exodus 18, Moses set up a system of judges over groups of thousands, hundreds, fifties, and tens, and in Deuteronomy 17:8-13, priests and judges were given the authority to make rulings for their community concerning the cases that were brought before them that the people were obligated to follow, which is what Jesus was referring to by saying that the Pharisees sat in the seat of Moses, so he recognized their authority over their communities while warning against hypocrisy. If we go by Scripture alone, then that includes acting in accordance with Deuteronomy 17:8-13.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In Acts 17:11, the Bereans were praised because they diligently tested everything that Paul said against OT Scripture
I do that without saying it is Sola Scriptura.

to see if what he said is true, so Sola Scriptura is essentially saying that we should follow that precedent whenever someone tries to teach us something.
reference? Note my bolded emphasis.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I do that without saying it is Sola Scriptura.
The Bible doesn't use any English words, but we can nevertheless still use English words to speak about what is taught by the Bible.

reference? Note my bolded emphasis.
Is that not an instance of them giving OT Scripture a higher authority than what Paul taught?

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible doesn't use any English words, but we can nevertheless still use English words to speak about what is taught by the Bible.
Sure, the English word has its correspondence with the Greek word. Where is the Greek correspondence for the term Sola Scriptura?

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Sure, the English word has its correspondence with the Greek word. Where is the Greek correspondence for the term Sola Scriptura?
We use English works to refer to concepts taught by the Bible, and Sola Scripture refers to the concept of treating Scripture as the highest authority in accordance with the precedent in in Acts 17:11.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We use English works to refer to concepts taught by the Bible, and Sola Scripture refers to the concept of treating Scripture as the highest authority in accordance with the precedent in in Acts 17:11.
That's fine. I prefer to stick to the words in the Bible in argumentation.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,158.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I know the following:

Matthew 23:

2 Thessalonians 2:

I don't dismiss any evidence. Instead, I weigh them, including Didache, Irenaeus, etc.

If you ask 5 people for the definition of Sola Scriptura from memory, you'll get 6 different definitions :)
The foundation of the Gospel are the Prophets, Apostles and Jesus Christ of Nazareth as the Chief Cornerstone. Their Foundational teachings are only found in what we call the Bible. Anything beyond this teaching can easily be considered, doctrines of men. So Sola Scriptura is valid when defining sound "doctrine " for the saints.
Blessings

• Useful
Reactions: tonychanyt

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I know the following:

Matthew 23:

2 Thessalonians 2:

2 Timothy 3:16 ESV​

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Proverbs 30:5-6 ESV​

Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

1 Corinthians 4:6 ESV​

I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another.

1 Thessalonians 2:13 ESV​

And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.

John 5:39 ESV​

You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me,

Hebrews 4:12 ESV​

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

John 10:35 ESV​

If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken—

Matthew 4:4 ESV​

But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

Colossians 2:8 ESV​

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

Acts 17:11 ESV​

Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

Luke 24:44 ESV​

Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.”

Luke 24:27 ESV​

And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

Sola Scriptura!!

There are several words we use to describe some aspects of scripture .... but that is not to say the words used does not reflect
what is being taught in His written word .... such as the word trinity .... not in the bible but .... God in 3 persons (godhead) is clearly taught.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟84,025.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

2 Timothy 3:16 ESV​

All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,

Proverbs 30:5-6 ESV​

Every word of God proves true; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.

1 Corinthians 4:6 ESV​

I have applied all these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, brothers, that you may learn by us not to go beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up in favor of one against another.

1 Thessalonians 2:13 ESV​

And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.

John 5:39 ESV​

You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is they that bear witness about me,

Hebrews 4:12 ESV​

For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart.

John 10:35 ESV​

If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and Scripture cannot be broken—

Matthew 4:4 ESV​

But he answered, “It is written, “‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’”

Colossians 2:8 ESV​

See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

Acts 17:11 ESV​

Now these Jews were more noble than those in Thessalonica; they received the word with all eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see if these things were so.

Luke 24:44 ESV​

Then he said to them, “These are my words that I spoke to you while I was still with you, that everything written about me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.”

Luke 24:27 ESV​

And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.

Sola Scriptura!!

There are several words we use to describe some aspects of scripture .... but that is not to say the words used does not reflect
what is being taught in His written word .... such as the word trinity .... not in the bible but .... God in 3 persons (godhead) is clearly taught.
Define Sola Scriptura

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Solas exclude the Spirit.
The Spirit and Word are one.
From my observations - and I am Sola Scriptura - that is not an accurate observation. I am Charismatic because I believe in Sola Scriptura.

Upvote 0

LovesOurLord

Jun 19, 2018
Denver
✟15,774.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sola Scriptura is absolutely in the New Testament. The term was coined later, but the concept of it is absolutely in there. It's very easy to prove:

2 Timothy 3:14-17.

"But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have firmly believed, knowing from whom you learned it and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings which are able to instruct you for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, [so] that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work. (2 Tim. 3:14-17)"

So Scripture tells us it completes the man of God, equipped for every good work.

OK, so what does Scripture tell us what Scripture is?

2 Peter 3:15-16.

"And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures."

So here, Peter is telling us the Hebrew Bible plus the writings of the Apostles are Scripture. Again, as in the OP in 2 Thessalonians 2:15, hold fast to the teachings from the Apostles be they by mouth or letter, again referencing the writings as Scripture.

Other verses telling believers to follow only that which they're taught by Christ and the Apostles are:

Luke 1:1-4, Romans 1:5-6, Luke 10:14-15, Ephesians 3:7-10, Ephesians 4:11-16, 1 Corinthians 11:2.

To make a claim that the Scriptures are not adequate to complete the man of God but rather than we need successive generations of Church hierarchy and evolving teachings is to say the Scriptures are lying to us, are actually inadequate to complete and therefore *not* divinely inspired and are of little value.

The idea that no canon existed before it was officially set a few hundred years later by the Catholics or Orthodox (depending on who you believe) is simply untrue. The canon was there from the start, just not officially compiled as such. All the Church did was to take the writings of the Apostles about Jesus and follow the instructions of those writings and set the canon to the exclusion of everything else, and here we are.

Last edited:
Upvote 0