Is sin the reason for one's damnation or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
It's irrelevant why they can believe. The statement "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved" is true, and I believe it.
It is NOT true as a message that can be applied by ALL people in your theology. As your TULIP Calvinism affirms, this command means, 'Only some of you can believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved'. You say it is true and you believe it. It is only true for the predestined elect and is not an unlimited invitation to all people in your theology.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Since when were they the core beliefs of Pelagianism?

In addition, have you asked janx to confirm that he does NOT believe in a work of the Spirit in conversion? He he told that to you, or are you inventing something here?

I'm asking janx to confirm or deny that he believes that salvation and entrance into the Kingdom of God is based on an intellectual argument without the Holy Spirit's involvement.

Oz

It includes the involvement of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It's irrelevant why they can believe. The statement "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved" is true, and I believe it.

Irrelevant? I can't imagine that someone who might be about to put their faith in Christ would not be interested in the mechanics of how it occurs. Your reluctance to tell them is not surprising, for who would want to follow such a God? You won't tell them because they will walk.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It is NOT true as a message that can be applied by ALL people in your theology. As your TULIP Calvinism affirms, this command means, 'Only some of you can believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved'. You say it is true and you believe it. It is only true for the predestined elect and is not an unlimited invitation to all people in your theology.

So? It's still true that if you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. It's a statement of fact, not an invitation.

Upvote 0

OzSpen

Oct 15, 2005
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
Visit site
✟125,343.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
So? It's still true that if you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved. It's a statement of fact, not an invitation.
But to a big hunk of people in the universe it's a deaf message because they CANNOT believe because they are not chosen in accordance with the beliefs of TULIP Calvinism which you promote.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Irrelevant? I can't imagine that someone who might be about to put their faith in Christ would not be interested in the mechanics of how it occurs. Your reluctance to tell them is not surprising, for who would want to follow such a God? You won't tell them because they will walk.

I'm not reluctant to tell them. When have I said that? If I tell them, I'm just giving them more truth. And that won't hurt. If they reject it, then they weren't elect anyway. But all of that doesn't change the truth of "Believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved".

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married

Sirs, what must I do to be saved?

Paul and Silas don't reply, 'Hope God chose you,' do they? No, they tell him what he must do - believe.

If it is not an invitation (and you say it is not), then the preacher is just telling them their fate. There is no 'call', just 'this is how it is'.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
But to a big hunk of people in the universe it's a deaf message because they CANNOT believe because they are not chosen in accordance with the beliefs of TULIP Calvinism which you promote.

Will not believe is more accurate. Someone won't believe the gospel, even as you present it, if they think it's untrue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.