Is sin the reason for one's damnation or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
In 'What love is this,' Dave Hunt asserts that:

"As a result of Christ's death having paid the full penalty, no one will spend eternity in the lake of fire because of his sins; they will be there for rejecting Christ and the salvation He obtained and freely offers to all."
(Chapter 16, Limited Atonement)​

FreeGrace2 has said much the same:
"But because Christ died for the sins of the whole world, no one goes there for sin. It was paid for. They go there because they don't possess eternal life."
(See here)
How is such an understanding congruent with the following:

Acts 3:19
Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

Acts 10:43
All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.

John 8:24
I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.

Last edited:

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

"As a result of Christ's death having paid the full penalty, no one will spend eternity in the lake of fire because of his sins; they will be there for rejecting Christ and the salvation He obtained and freely offers to all."

"But because Christ died for the sins of the whole world, no one goes there for sin. It was paid for. They go there because they don't possess eternal life."
(See here)
How is such an understand congruent with the following:

Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord,

All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.

I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.

I don't think it does. The problem I have with the line of reasoning from Dave Hunt (other than it doesn't jive w/ scripture) is that it leaves the door wide open for Antinomianism and liberalism. Think about it. If the only sin human beings are responsible for is rejecting Christ than those who do accept Christ will have no problem accepting or overlooking various sinful behaviors among themselves and non- Christians. I personally believe this is one reason the sin of homosexuality is gaining ground in many denominations. Sanctification is critical in the salvation process. Through the Spirit a change of heart occurs and the Christian will move away from sin and when he can't - he despises it (see Romans 7). Sin is alive and well and we must fight to overcome it - Mr. Hunt seems to want to minimalize that.

Upvote 0

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
5 This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

"Walk in the light."

Those who belong to Christ should walk as Jesus walked.
For example those who are homosexual, sexually deviant immoral people, are not walking in the light.
Those who approve of them encouraging them to continue in their sins are not walking in the light.

God KNOWS those who are His and God KNOWS those who are not.

Upvote 0

Steeno7

Not I...but Christ
Jan 22, 2014
ONUG
✟22,549.00
Faith
Christian

(See here)

He's right in that the reason people go to hell is because they are dead and do not have life. But He is wrong in that it is the sin of unbelief, which is the sin of the world (John 16:9), that is their rejection of Christ in whom is life.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think it does. The problem I have with the line of reasoning from Dave Hunt (other than it doesn't jive w/ scripture) is that it leaves the door wide open for Antinomianism and liberalism. Think about it. If the only sin human beings are responsible for is rejecting Christ than those who do accept Christ will have no problem accepting or overlooking various sinful behaviors among themselves and non- Christians. I personally believe this is one reason the sin of homosexuality is gaining ground in many denominations. Sanctification is critical in the salvation process. Through the Spirit a change of heart occurs and the Christian will move away from sin and when he can't - he despises it (see Romans 7). Sin is alive and well and we must fight to overcome it - Mr. Hunt seems to want to minimalize that.

Even so, Hunt was not an antinomianist...but I do take your point...some might make such an argument.

I agree that the scriptures I cited do not harmonize with the assertion that the damned aren't in hell because of their sin but because they rejected Christ. They clearly state that one's sins are blotted out if one believes.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
"Walk in the light."

Those who belong to Christ should walk as Jesus walked.
For example those who are homosexual, sexually deviant immoral people, are not walking in the light.

True, but nor are those who lie or who have just one lustful thought.

Those who approve of them encouraging them to continue in their sins are not walking in the light.

Agreed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian
True, but nor are those who lie or who have just one lustful thought.
Agreed

Further God says this

5 Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And He said to me, “Write, for these words are true and faithful.”

6 And He said to me, “It is done![c] I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts. 7 He who overcomes shall inherit all things,[d] and I will be his God and he shall be My son. 8 But the cowardly, unbelieving,[e] abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

People do not thirst for God, no one seeks for God in the natural, that is God known by way of the name of Jesus Christ. They do search for other gods. Even old Israel went after other gods.
The thirsty here are those within whom God has placed the desire for God to know Him and supernaturally seek for Him.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
For they shall be filled.

It is God who has blessed them who search for being made right with Him.
Proof that this bold thought is not of their own is demonstrated by Paul quoting Isaiah.

20 But Isaiah is very bold and says:

“I was found by those who did not seek Me;
I was made manifest to those who did not ask for Me

21 But to Israel he says:

“All day long I have stretched out My hands
To a disobedient and contrary people.”[n]

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Further God says this

People do not thirst for God, no one seeks for God in the natural, that is God known by way of the name of Jesus Christ. They do search for other gods. Even old Israel went after other gods.
The thirsty here are those within whom God has placed the desire for God to know Him and supernaturally seek for Him.

It is God who has blessed them who search for being made right with Him.
Proof that this bold thought is not of their own is demonstrated by Paul quoting Isaiah.

Thanks, but this is getting off track.

Upvote 0

janxharris

Veteran
Jun 10, 2010
Essex, UK
Visit site
✟36,397.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
A man will go to hell for rejecting the gift of righteousness in Christ.
Pretty much what those books you quoted said.
I will look up those verses in acts in their original language later.
Good thread. :priest:

Just to be clear (and pedantic), only one book is quoted - the other citation is from a Christian Forums' member.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Even so, Hunt was not an antinomianist...but I do take your point...some might make such an argument.

I agree that the scriptures I cited do not harmonize with the assertion that the damned aren't in hell because of their sin but because they rejected Christ. They clearly state that one's sins are blotted out if one believes.

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

(See here)

The problem I see with Hunt's view is that it makes rejection of Christ to not be sinful. I think that's the greatest sin (if they can be quantified). It's really the basis for all other sin.

The problem I have with FG's view is that hell is unjust because according to his view, Christ to the punishment of sin for all men. So it's no longer seen as punishment (because Christ took the punishment for all), but just a place to send unbelievers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

granpa

Noahide/Rationalist
Apr 23, 2007
California
✟3,072.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Private

(See here)

the fall is the reason why heaven (Gods infinite light) appears to us and seems to us like hell
which is why we can't get to heaven until we are saved

http://oca.org/orthodoxy/the-orthodox-faith/spirituality/the-kingdom-of-heaven/heaven-and-hell

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.