Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was discussing the morality of self-defense with another Christian. They believed that violence of any kind, even self defense, is a sin. They used the teachings of Jesus to support their claims. Indeed, Jesus taught us to be non-violent and to turn the other cheek, he never once mentioned self-defense, at least not that I’m aware of. I told him there are many examples of God leading his people into war and verses stating the right to self-defense, but they said they were all verses from the Old Testament and therefore invalid.

I have always been a pragmatic pacifist, believing that conflicts should be attempted to be solved peacefully, with violence in the form of self-defense being the very last resort if peace absolutely can’t be achieved. I thought self-defense was condoned by God, but now I’m not sure.

So is it true? Is violence a sin no matter the cause or circumstance? Does God want us to be martyrs? Does he want us to let our families be killed instead of protect them if such a situation was ever to occur? I can’t imagine why God would want this from us. But if not, then why is it never mentioned in the New Testament? Please, any insight is appreciated, thank you.
I told him there are many examples of God leading his people into war and verses stating the right to self-defense, but they said they were all verses from the Old Testament and therefore invalid.
The OT is not "invalid" ... Jesus taught from the OT.

So is it true? Is violence a sin no matter the cause or circumstance?

In the context of self-defense (from direct threat)

Protecting one's self ....FROM violence of another (direct threat). Murder is different from protecting yourself. Murder requires preconceived intent. One may or may not end up killing a person to protect their life but that isn't murder. It's the motivation of the heart that is involved as far as sin goes .... if there is no way of escape .... to protect ones self is a natural response to end the violence being imposed on them .... not the one instigating the violence in the first place.

Upvote 0

Runningman

Christian
Feb 13, 2023
USA
✟30,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But Jesus wasn't willing for angels to rescue him. He had authority, but no will to do so. So it's not justification at all for self-defense. We would have to look elsewhere for justification for self-defense. And I don't think you are going to find easy answers in the Bible.
An easy answer would be following example in Luke 22:36 where Jesus commanded them to get a sword. That's the equivalent of saying "Arm up." The purpose of a sword is for self-defense. I don't think Jesus was the type to saber rattle so I believe he was being serious.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,665.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
An easy answer would be following example in Luke 22:36 where Jesus commanded them to get a sword. That's the equivalent of saying "Arm up." The purpose of a sword is for self-defense. I don't think Jesus was the type to saber rattle so I believe he was being serious.

I don't think he was speaking literally. Jesus used hyperbole alot, as well.

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

David had a sling. Goliath had a sword. Jesus and his 12 Apostles didn't walk around unarmed. They had a couple swords.

Two is one, one is none.

And if anyone thinks that carrying an arm around demonstrates a lack of faith, let me tell you, there's lots of room for faith with a gun too! Pistols are almost not worth carrying in a way.

When someone shows up at the hospital shot by a pistol the try to stabilize him. Anyone comes in hit by rifle fire, they try to save their life. Pistols are for the most part woefully underpowered. Lot's of faith!

Upvote 0

Sir Joseph

Site Supporter
Nov 18, 2018
Southwest
✟92,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was discussing the morality of self-defense with another Christian. They believed that violence of any kind, even self defense, is a sin. They used the teachings of Jesus to support their claims. Indeed, Jesus taught us to be non-violent and to turn the other cheek, he never once mentioned self-defense, at least not that I’m aware of. I told him there are many examples of God leading his people into war and verses stating the right to self-defense, but they said they were all verses from the Old Testament and therefore invalid.

I have always been a pragmatic pacifist, believing that conflicts should be attempted to be solved peacefully, with violence in the form of self-defense being the very last resort if peace absolutely can’t be achieved. I thought self-defense was condoned by God, but now I’m not sure.

So is it true? Is violence a sin no matter the cause or circumstance? Does God want us to be martyrs? Does he want us to let our families be killed instead of protect them if such a situation was ever to occur? I can’t imagine why God would want this from us. But if not, then why is it never mentioned in the New Testament? Please, any insight is appreciated, thank you.

I think everyone's presented the various points pretty thoroughly. I'll summarize that defending an innocent victim from an attacker would be an act of love consistent with scripture, while defending one's self has scripture implications that could be used to support both view points. For those interested, here's an excellent video on the subject:

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think everyone's presented the various points pretty thoroughly. I'll summarize that defending an innocent victim from an attacker would be an act of love consistent with scripture, while defending one's self has scripture implications that could be used to support both view points. For those interested, here's an excellent video on the subject:

That is a good video. He's very thorough to cover both the spiritual aspectd of it and the natural material world aspects also. Thumbs up!

We wrestle not against flesh and blood...unless their trying to kill us! So true.

That part where he came out of his house and shot the drunk 3 times with a shotgun for throwing a brick at his car! Lol! Tat was so funny!
That guy made TWO mistakes there. One was obvious, you don't shoot peope for throwing bricks at your car. Duh.
What was his other mistake?!

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So is it true? Is violence a sin no matter the cause or circumstance?
No.

Those who reject the Old Testament commit the heresy of Marcionism, and such people are very common. Our world is full of slapdash one-size-fits-all theories, and pacifism is one of them.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

It's usually not a sin to call the police when threatened ...

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Sure. Sometimes certain local officers aren't always doing the best they can to serve and protect the people of their communities. But even so, this doesn't mean that by some deductive default that it suddently becomes a virtue for Christians to don their latest Rambo apparel.

Upvote 0

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's usually not a sin to call the police when threatened ...

No not a sin. But criminals usually do not allow the people they are robbing or home invading or whatever, to make phone calls.

Reactions: Sir Joseph
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No not a sin. But criminals usually do not allow the people they are robbing or home invading or whatever, to make phone calls.

That's a good point. There's a lot which criminals don't do, and not infrequently to their own demise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Taker }SoC{

Aug 7, 2023
Ohio
✟1,148.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As it is written, "But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up." In addition to the many verses of the Old Testament which justify not just self-defense but also war. I think it is fair to assume that a man may protect his home and family from un-just violence.

Using Jesus' extreme passivism in the face of crucifixion I think is a bit miss-leading. Jesus had a job to do here, he was always meant to be martyred. Also, his violence would have been against the authorities of his time which is significantly different than defending yourself from a random thug on the street. Often times the disciples were either lead to flee from persecution or to allow it to happen and take joy that God has counted them worthy to suffer for his word. The Christian faith certainly does lead you away from violence, especially as an act of revenge, but I do not think that the New Testament forbids a man to use violence to protect his family.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Self defense is not sin. The apostles carried swords for protection.
Abner of second samuel, in self defense, killed joab brother. Neither God or king David imputed sin or wrong doing on Abmer.
Christian people are not second class citizens. We have God given right to protect ourselves and our family.
Proverbs, the righteous stand as bold as a lion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Divide

Apr 19, 2017
Columbus
✟81,201.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The only time one of them raised a sword to harm someone, He Was Rebuked By Jesus.

Jesus Says Clearly "Be Harmless as Doves"....

That would be I-Deal. But if the guy is breaking into my house or threatening someone in my family or charge, it's time to resist and not be harmless all of a sudden.

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
That would be I-Deal. But if the guy is breaking into my house or threatening someone in my family or charge, it's time to resist and not be harmless all of a sudden.
Is that a better option than trusting the Creator and Jesus ?

Others who had their homes broken into simply asked the breaker-in if they were hungry, and fed them. (yes, even if they were robbed or hurt by them). A much better example of truth, of Jesus Life and Testimony .)

Job 1:21
He said, “Naked (without possessions) I came [into this world] from my mother’s womb, And naked I will return there. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; Blessed be the name of the Lord.”

James 1:2-8
Consider it nothing but joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you fall into various trials. Be assured that the testing of your faith [through experience] produces endurance [leading to spiritual maturity, and inner peace]. And let endurance have its perfect result and do a thorough work, so that you may be perfect and completely developed [in your faith], lacking in nothing. ...

Bible Hub:
"....and accepted with joy the spoiling of your possessions. In the spirit of Matthew 5:12 (Acts 5:41; 2Corinthians 12:10), they accepted persecution not with "patience and long suffering" only, but "with joy" (Colossians 1:11).

Upvote 0

Aaron112

Dec 19, 2022
TULSA
✟53,912.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
“Peace be with you!”
Peace...
not resisting the evil-doers....
UNworldly, UNcarnal, UNpopular, Truth

Matthew 5:39New International Version. 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. Read full chapter. Matthew 5:39 in all English translations.

Upvote 0