catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I agree about the heart that's why I said " God sees your heart surely his Grace saves you and there is no doubt that will allow you to say I still haven't found what I am looking for because God will provide all you need unless you're looking for earthly richness."

What's you're saying sounds good that even though they've done all these secular things something is missing and it's great if someone comes to that stage and realised that what's missing is God. But I got to say that's not the message i'm getting by reading the lyrics:
I have climbed the highest mountains
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you
I have run I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
These city walls
Only to be with you
But I still haven't found

"only to be with you" so is "you" God or is it a love interest?

"I have spoke with the tongue of angels" Doesn't it say the Holy Spirit helps you to speak in tongue? So they've had the Holy Spirit...and yet they still haven't found what they're looking for?

"
You broke the bonds
and you loosened chains
carried the cross of my shame, of my shame
You know I believe it
What I'm looking for"

Roman 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. So they believed in a sense that Jesus is Lord and he carried the cross for them, which should imply they have been saved, but yet they still haven't found what they are looking for? Unless they only believed some parts of what Jesus did?

I don't know. I still think it would be best for someone that is unsure to hear a song that yes, touches on the way they are feeling now with doubt but yet concluded that yes I have found what I am looking for, Jesus is LORD, he is the truth.
When it's a mere human love interest, then the song says even after finding that...
"I still haven't found what I'm looking for"
see. :)

The song isn't a substitute for the Gospel. Not even a bit.

It's only a song about how all of our striving/arriving, even deep experiences of the world, are not what we are ultimately looking for.

Only the Gospel alone is the saving message.
:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes I agree about the heart that's why I said " God sees your heart surely his Grace saves you and there is no doubt that will allow you to say I still haven't found what I am looking for because God will provide all you need unless you're looking for earthly richness."

What's you're saying sounds good that even though they've done all these secular things something is missing and it's great if someone comes to that stage and realised that what's missing is God. But I got to say that's not the message i'm getting by reading the lyrics:
I have climbed the highest mountains
I have run through the fields
Only to be with you
Only to be with you
I have run I have crawled
I have scaled these city walls
These city walls
Only to be with you

"only to be with you" so is "you" God or is it a love interest?

"I have spoke with the tongue of angels" Doesn't it say the Holy Spirit helps you to speak in tongue? So they've had the Holy Spirit...and yet they still haven't found what they're looking for?

"
You broke the bonds
and you loosened chains
carried the cross of my shame, of my shame
You know I believe it
What I'm looking for"

Roman 10:9 If you declare with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. So they believed in a sense that Jesus is Lord and he carried the cross for them, which should imply they have been saved, but yet they still haven't found what they are looking for? Unless they only believed some parts of what Jesus did?

I don't know. I still think it would be best for someone that is unsure to hear a song that yes, touches on the way they are feeling now with doubt but yet concluded that yes I have found what I am looking for, Jesus is LORD, he is the truth.
When a person does find God, does find Christ, then they know, for sure, that they really have found what they are looking for, once they truly believe fully and are reborn.

Then they say "I've finally found what I've been looking for."

Upvote 0

prosperity4all

Jul 30, 2019
new york
✟25,836.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Condemning an entire dimension of music because some parts are offensive is absurd. It makes for very poor witness. It confirms the notion that Christians are insufferably authoritarian, legalistic, and self-righteous.
why do you that?

Upvote 0

BrAndreyu

Jun 1, 2020
Florida
✟30,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It all depends on how much you let music influence you. I remember being one of those kids who "got rid of all his secular music" after going to an Acquire the Fire conference in 2001 and wishing that I hadn't in retrospect. Although I like a decent amount of Christian music like the benjamin gate, Earthsuit, OC Supertones, Insyderz, etc I always felt that a lot of Christian music was just trying to copy secular artists that were better at whatever genre they were going for than the Christian bands.

Don't get me wrong though, there were some great Christian albums in the late 90s and early 00s, but that was before Christian music became mostly screamo & bands still had to try their best to be original in a genre, which many sadly did not.

Upvote 0

tobyw

Feb 28, 2022
Methton
✟4,303.00
Country
Belarus
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
is Secular Music the devil's pulpit?

Can be.

Eg if it's some neo-Nazi punk rock where the singer is inciting violence towards and hating on ethnic or religious groups or so on. That would seem devilish.

But then again, if it's Kool & The Gang singing about how we should celebrate and have a good time, I don't really see anything evil about that.

Upvote 0