Is Scripture MISSING Dogmas? (2)

Souldier

Mar 30, 2015
✟2,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pauls words have been a great blessing to me. When i am weak then i am strong. When i am humbled by this life and i cry out to the Lord in a helpless state of utter despair, then i find hope strengthened. Its good to be beaten down because you know Gods mercy will be your salvation. Its the one truth that is always there. The Lord said come unto me you who are weary and i will give you strength. Amen Blessed are the poor in spirit.

Upvote 0

concretecamper

Member of His Church
Nov 23, 2013
PA
✟275,302.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For me tradition is something i never had and im too old for it now. Life has humbled me and left me scarred. I have the scriptures and i cling to hope in the Lord. Division bothers me because it erodes my faith, and that after life has already beaten me down and left me for dead. Yet i cling to hope in the Lord. People wonder why i have struggles, maybe its because life is a struggle for some of us.

Never too old......John Henry Newman was 44....similar in age to you. I would encourage you to read about him.

Upvote 0

Souldier

Mar 30, 2015
✟2,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Never too old......John Henry Newman was 44....similar in age to you. I would encourage you to read about him.

We have a hard enough time just walking in the light together. Paul teaches us to cast off any weight that hinders us.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"we are not entitled to such license, namely, of affirming whatever we please. For we make Sacred Scripture the rule and the norm of every doctrine. Upon that we are obliged to fix our eyes, and we approve only whatever can be brought into harmony with the intent of these writings." -- St Gregory of Nyssa (c. 330-395)

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Actually there is no where in the Bible were it says to follow the Bible alone and exclusively.

Not in those words, no, but it does say that this information is for our guidance and that it is of supreme value. Meanwhile, there is nothing whatsoever recommending "Sacred Tradition" in its place or even as a supplement to Scripture!

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"we are not entitled to such license, namely, of affirming whatever we please. For we make Sacred Scripture the rule and the norm of every doctrine. Upon that we are obliged to fix our eyes, and we approve only whatever can be brought into harmony with the intent of these writings." -- St Gregory of Nyssa (c. 330-395)

While I don't believe the bishop was speaking dogmatically, I do believe he had other dogmatic beliefs, some of which I'm sure aren't shared by sola scripturists today. Coming to think of it, some sola scripturists of today don't even have bishops.

Upvote 0

Souldier

Mar 30, 2015
✟2,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Coming to think of it, some sola scripturists of today don't even have bishops.

Just because you don't see their bishop doesn't mean that they dont have one.

1 Peter 2:25New King James Version (NKJV)

25 For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer[a] of your souls.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just because you don't see their bishop doesn't mean that they dont have one.

1 Peter 2:25New King James Version (NKJV)

25 For you were like sheep going astray, but have now returned to the Shepherd and Overseer[a] of your souls.

Thanks for sharing the words of another bishop, St. Peter. :priest:

I guess these words of St. Paul haven't been a great blessing to you:

This saying is trustworthy: whoever aspires to the office of bishop desires a noble task. Therefore, a bishop must be irreproachable, married only once, temperate, self-controlled, decent, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not aggressive, but gentle, not contentious, not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, keeping his children under control with perfect dignity; for if a man does not know how to manage his own household, how can he take care of the church of God? He should not be a recent convert, so that he may not become conceited and thus incur the devil’s punishment. He must also have a good reputation among outsiders, so that he may not fall into disgrace, the devil’s trap. (1 Timothy 3:1-7)

(emphasis mine)

Not only does St. Paul specifically outline the office of bishop, he also says they must be able to teach.

Your personal expression of sola scriptura contradicts the very bible you claim is teaching you.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Let's try the office of deacon now:

Likewise deacons must be reverent, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy for money, holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience. But let these also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons, being found blameless. Likewise, their wives must be reverent, not slanderers, temperate, faithful in all things. Let deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a good standing and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus. (1 Timothy 3:8-13)

How does the deaconless sola scripturist explain this away?

Upvote 0

Souldier

Mar 30, 2015
✟2,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thanks for sharing the words of another bishop, St. Peter. :priest:

I guess these words of St. Paul haven't been a great blessing to you:

(emphasis mine)

Not only does St. Paul specifically outline the office of bishop, he also says they must be able to teach.

Your personal expression of sola scriptura contradicts the very bible you claim is teaching you.

Paul and Peter both teach me. They are the bishops which i follow and they lead me to the shepherd of my soul. It makes sense to me. There is no contradiction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Souldier

Mar 30, 2015
✟2,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
James says let every man be slow to speak and quick to listen. No better way to do that then to study and meditate on scripture. We hear the words of Paul and Peter, James and John, and the Lord himself, along with the OT prophets too. Monks do it all the time. Some of them never utter a word.

Upvote 0

Souldier

Mar 30, 2015
✟2,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Look at this scripture. James seems to be saying that we need to hear the Lord within. He seems to be saying we must ask God for wisdom. The Lord says whoever keeps and does His words will be considered a wise man. Jesus also says if we keep His words then the Holy spirit will teach us all things. This promise from the Lord seems to be what James is reflecting on, in my opinion.

James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning. 18 Of His own will He brought us forth by the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of His creatures.

19 So then,[a] my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; 20 for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

21 Therefore lay aside all filthiness and overflow of wickedness, and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.

22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.

26 If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless. 27 Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.

Mathew 5:24 “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock: 25 and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.

(But be doers of the word, and not hearers only)

Upvote 0

Souldier

Mar 30, 2015
✟2,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
All these scriptures are about hearing the words of Christ and keeping them, meditating on them, and allowing the Spirit to do the teaching. Its all about hearing, keeping and doing...The Word.

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

John 14:22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, “Lord, how is it that You will manifest Yourself to us, and not to the world?”

23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. 24 He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me.

The Gift of His Peace
25 “These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Souldier

Mar 30, 2015
✟2,955.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Jeremiah 31:33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

John 6:45 It is written in the prophets, ‘And they shall all be taught by God.’[e] Therefore everyone who has heard and learned[f] from the Father comes to Me
66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, “Do you also want to go away?”
68 But Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.”

John 10:7 Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.

27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.

John 14:22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to Him, “Lord, how is it that You will manifest Yourself to us, and not to the world?”
23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. 24 He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father’s who sent Me.
25 “These things I have spoken to you while being present with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Amen brother!

John 15 "if you abide in Me and My WORDS I abide in you"

Matt 7 "He who hears these WORDS of mine and DOES them is compared to a man who built his house upon the ROCK"

John 1:14 "the WORD became flesh and dwelt among us"

John 14:1-5 "I am the way the TRUTH and the life".

Matt 4 "Man does not live by bread alone but by every WORD the procedes from the mouth of God".

Matt 28
19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Luke 24
25 And He said to them, “O foolish men and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Was it not necessary for the Christ to suffer these things and to enter into His glory?” 27 Then beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

Luke 24
44 Now He said to them, “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about Me in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled.” 45 Then He opened their minds to understand the Scriptures, 46 and He said to them, “Thus it is written, that the Christ would suffer and rise again from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jeremiah 31:33 But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put My law in their minds, and write it on their hearts; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Amen - the NEW covenant in Both OT and NT - HEB 8 and in Jer 31:31-33.

Paul calls it the ONE Gospel Gal 1:6-9 that was "preached to Abraham" Gal 3:7.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Really, where did you learn that God ordained men to turn a little piece of bread into Almighty God?

And how does that glorify God when you pass him through your digestive tract and out your bowel?

Nobody "Bites Christ" in John 6.

Christ did not say "someday in the future my flesh will be food" in John 6 -- He said it already WAS and that He already WAS the bread that came down out of heaven.

THEN in John 6 He explains the SYMBOL - by saying that "literal flesh is worthless - my WORDS are spirit and are life".

In Matt 16 the disciples get smacked-down because they took the symbol of bread "TOO literally" and later realized that by that SYMBOL Christ meant "teaching".

It is plainly stated so in Matt 16.

So then - no "biting Christ" in John 6.

And no "Confecting the body soul and divinity of Christ"
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: The Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist

All such man-made-doctrines are not found in the Bible.

in Christ,

Bob

Upvote 0