• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is saying "oh my goodness" or "for goodness sake" a sin?

Feb 15, 2010
✟7,843.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I was raised in a household where using any kind of bad language was not tolerated. Recently, I've been wondering whether certain phrases, like 'oh my goodness,' are considered inappropriate or even sinful to use, especially within a religious context. As a Catholic, I want to make sure that my language is respectful and in line with my faith, but I'm not entirely sure what the boundaries are when it comes to what is considered appropriate or not. Could you provide some guidance on this topic?

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No, it isn't, sweetie :hug:

If you concentrate on loving God and praising Him in all you do, you will find that sin becomes less of a concern.. you will be thinking more about what you can do for him and less about what you shouldn't be doing.. if that makes sense.
:hug:

Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I am not sure where you read that, not in the Bible, I don't think!
Taking God's name in vain... using 'God' or 'Jesus' as a curse is wrong, as it is forbidden in scripture. No other words are 'sinful', although we are told not to offend our brother, so if certain words or phrases are considered offensive in your culture, it is best not to use them.

• Agree
Reactions: SANTOSO
Upvote 0

ido

Adios
May 7, 2007
✟56,288.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I think swearing is a sin because of the attitude behind it, words themselves aren't good or bad, but the anger which makes us want to curse people is wrong.

Well said. :)

Society has coined words/phrases and given them a negative - and often powerfully angry - connotation.

If what we say is said with a pure heart and out of righteousness and not anger and sin, then we will find that we don't need these words/phrases to communicate our thoughts effectively, IMO.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
But I read that saying "gosh darn it" was a sin.

"Gosh darn it" a SIN? If that were the case, then Beaver Cleaver, Opie Taylor, and the Brady kids were some of the nastiest-talking characters on TV! ^_^

Seriously, though, there are some people (believe it or not) who find some of the mildest euphemisms and slang words to be offensive and no different than real swearing. I even vaguely remember someone preaching that from the pulpit. But that is their honest conviction, and according to Romans 14 (you might want to read the entire chapter), we should be respectful of such people and not use these terms around them. But for others, like myself, it is not wrong, and at worst may just sound a little silly if overused, but nevertheless an innocent way to express surprise, wonder, and frustration.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

iarwain

Feb 13, 2009
✟105,073.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But I read that saying "gosh darn it" was a sin. So what's the difference?
I've heard this before. The reason was because whoever came up with this expression actually meant something else, substituting "gosh" for "God". Similarly, they came up with the word "zounds" as a substitute for saying "Christ's wounds". They are just watering down the "curse words".

So if you look at it that way, in "oh my goodness", they've probably just replaced "God" with "goodness", so you're right it's really the same thing. It just goes to show how deeply God's influence runs even in the modern secular world. I'm not calling it sinful, but it's a legitimate question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ryan Hillman

Oct 15, 2012
✟15,111.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
To be quite frank here people, plainly, yes, it is a sin! And I am not just saying that loosely. There are many passages in The Bible that clearly state this:

As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.
Mark 10:17 - 18

"Everyone has turned away, all have become corrupt; there is no one who does good, not even one."
Psalms 53:3

I think this is quite a Biblical standpoint. Forget about what people say, it is what the Bible says that counts. The Bible makes it very clear that only God is good, and we are in error to be thinking that we are 'good people' (i.e. to say the phrase 'oh my goodness').

Now, I have heard people counter argue this by saying "When I say the phrase, I don't actually think about it. I don't really mean it the way you think I do." Is that not worse? That means you have no control over your tongue and you do not care about what truly is good (i.e. God and the salvation given through Jesus Christ). This is condemned in the Book of James:

"If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless."
James 1:26

Therefore it is a sin to be saying this phrase for the Biblical reasons given.

On a side note, has anyone ever wondered why Jesus never used these phrases? Maybe there is a good reason for it...

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is the lolzordz!

It doesnt matter what you say. Its HOW you say it that matters.

If I said "I love you" and secretly I am wishing through my teeth that you get struck by lightning, does that make it OK?

I thought this was common sense....

Finally Common Sense! I wish you had your rep button on :)

Upvote 0

Willie T

St. Petersburg Vineyard
Oct 12, 2012
St. Petersburg, FL
✟68,979.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, it isn't, sweetie :hug:

If you concentrate on loving God and praising Him in all you do, you will find that sin becomes less of a concern.. you will be thinking more about what you can do for him and less about what you shouldn't be doing.. if that makes sense.
:hug:
Great post!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ifroon Aryok

Oct 27, 2020
Manila
✟15,201.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello! I think it is, to me its "G*d's goodness" and "For G*d's goodness' sake". I would totally disagree that intention is all that matters, words do carry meanings! Hebrews 4:12 says "For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart."

If words don't matter, why are we offended when someone uses the name of the Risen Saviour to express disgust or surprise?

I can't believe that we christians tolerate films that contain blasphemy. I've seen christians just ignore, and even say things like OM*, H*ly sh*t/crap/cow, sh*t, fr*aking, and the list is simply endless. When people are condemned, they invent similar sounding phrases like "Oh my gosh" for Oh my G*d, "geez" and "cheese and rice" for Jesus or Jesus Christ. Fr*aking for the f-word, etc.

But keep in mind the following verses from the Bible(NIV):

Ephesians 4:29: "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

James 3:9-10 : "With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God's likeness.Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be."

Ephesians 5:4 : "Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving."

Colossians 3:8 : "But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips."

Know that you are a child of God, so before you speak a word, ask yourself "Would Jesus say this?" If you think it would be appropriate for the LORD to say that, go ahead! But if the conscience with the Most High has given us tells you to not, literally talking, slap yourself out of the desire to speak foolishly. It is as bad as anything! I hope that I have not offended anyone, May the LORD place his own hand on your mouth and guard it, blessing I wish for you!

Upvote 0