Is saying "holy crap" blasphemy?

Is saying "holy crap!" blasphemy?

• Blasphemy!!!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!!!!!!

• Not blasphemy. He can live a little while longer...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GK

Love God. Love People. That Simple.
Sep 19, 2005
Visit site
✟12,044.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
*shrug*

I'm not sure you're asking the right question. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the right question is. Maybe the more important question is, "What is your relationship with your Father like and what is the best response to the situation I find myself in?" An answer to that question will likely make your question moot.

Upvote 0

Redneck Crow

Too many unicorns.....
Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
✟176,447.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MidnightCandel777 said:
Just wanted a thought or two on the subject. THANKS!

I doubt it. What would you be blaspheming--faeces?

It's a pretty silly phrase when you stop to think about it. Who in their right mind would seriously think that the speaker could possibly worship, well, you know? But it does conjure some interesting and downright entertaining mental images.

Upvote 0

Daywolf

Ferret snacks!
Feb 22, 2006
Out of Zion!
✟15,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ok here is the difference, holy cow is perfectly fine (on the surface) while the other is best to be shunned. What does holy mean? Holy means to be set apart for God, that’s what it means. So can a cow be set apart for God? Certainly! You really want to set apart the other stuff for God to have? It’s a worthless thing to say really, if you are going to say anything, at least say it with rational meaning to the subject at hand.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Jun 16, 2006
✟7,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yeah its not a swear word, nor are you taking the Lord's name in vein or anything of that sort.

I do tend to agree with some of the posts that it's probably wise to choose safer words, but at least in a time of extreme frustration when we sleep, at least you know its not the worst thing you could be saying :)

God Bless

Upvote 0

Atlantians

Student of Theology and History.
Mar 28, 2006
California
✟14,453.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
CoveredByWings said:
You don't really need a poll.

I consider it along the same lines as saying holy cow.
its not a holy thing so don't say it. If your need to say something like it just say crap.
That would mean something to Hindus, since their cows are actually Holy... :D

Upvote 0

Gukkor

Senior Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
Visit site
✟18,202.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Like all profanity (and this is a very mild case of it at best), I'd say that one must look at the circumstances to determine whether it's okay to say or not. Offensive language is a very relative thing, and what one person considers profane, another might regard as no different from any other word. Simply enough, in company that would be offended by such language, don't use it. If you're around people who don't mind, feel free.

And no, "holy crap" is not blasphemy in my opinion, nor is any profanity with the exception of that which involves the word "God," as in "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]." Now, THOSE terms should never be used under any circumstances.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Kitten87

Jun 18, 2006
✟15,857.00
Faith
Non-Denom
hhm ive wondered that before. I brought it up to one of our youth leaders once. Another one i wondered about was (excuse me for saying this) "bloody hell" i was told everyone feels and reacts different to phrases like that some accept it others find it extremely rude. But not blashemy coz its not actually using God's name negatively.

Upvote 0

Joshua Howard

Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit of Happiness
Jan 13, 2004
Tacoma, WA
✟7,951.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Those who understand the law of Christ know that it is not the words that you say, but the spirit with which you say them.

...For a bishop must be blameless, as the steward of God; not selfwilled, not soon angry, not given to wine, no striker, not given to filthy lucre; But a lover of hospitality, a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate..." - Titus I:VII-VIII
These gifts of love are the greatest law of all; superseding the things which come out of the mouth with a higher commandment; the things that come out of the heart.

Upvote 0

JonF

Sapere Aude!
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2005
California
✟51,047.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Joshua Howard said:
Those who understand the law of Christ know that it is not the words that you say, but the spirit with which you say them.
I disagree. While the spirit you say the words in is very important, the words themselves also mater:

Ephesians 5:4 “Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.”

James 3:5-12 “5Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.
7All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and creatures of the sea are being tamed and have been tamed by man, 8but no man can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.
9With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. 10Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11Can both fresh water and salt[a] water flow from the same spring? 12My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.”

Upvote 0

Joshua Howard

Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit of Happiness
Jan 13, 2004
Tacoma, WA
✟7,951.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see what you're saying... pardon me for the apparent inconsistancy there.

I was trying to communicate that if you have a true spirit of love, that will dictate what you say... it won't be your choice of words, but your spirit that controls the attitude you have.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.