Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is no more a shadow than the Command to not murder or make idols. The NC opens the letters to expose the spirit behind them and writes them on our hearts (conviction of the Spirit of Christ). Yes, we are to spiritually rest in Christ but we are still required to obey that which was Sanctified and Hallowed at creation and codified at Sinai. Can you imagine the chaos in the world beyond what we now see if every Commandment "letter" was not followed by Christians.

• Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Is OT Sabbath a shadow? If so, how is it a shadow and how is Christ the real thing?

Colossians 2:17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Col 2:16,17 KJV
16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17) Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

The Old Covenant was made up of Laws.
Jesus Fulfilled the entire Law, thereby doing away with the old Covenant.

We are now IN CHRIST.

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Is OT Sabbath a shadow? If so, how is it a shadow and how is Christ the real thing? Colossians 2:17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.

Depends what sabbath{s} you are talking about. If you are talking about the SHADOW sabbath{s} and ORDINANCES from the annual festivals from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANANT as referred to in COL 2:14-17 then yes these are all SHADOWS.

This is NOT talking about God's 4th Commandment, but laws in ORDINANCES from the BOOK of the COVENANT. NOT God's commandments written by God on tables of stone.

The SHADOW sabbath{s} and ORDINANCES are not God's SEVENTH DAY weekly Sabbath from God's 4th Commandment which is one of the 10 Commandments from God's ETERNAL LAW.

The SHADOW sabbath{s} were connected to specific festivals of the old COVENANT and had a different purpose to God's 4th Commandment.

The Shadow sabbath{s} could also fall on ANY DAY of the week. These point to Jesus and God's plan of salvation.

DETAILED SCRIPTURE SUPPORT PROVIDED HERE linked CLICK ME

Hope this helps

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Is OT Sabbath a shadow? If so, how is it a shadow and how is Christ the real thing?

Colossians 2:17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
Good questions. Remember most of the whole world doesn't ever know.

Keep seeking as you have done, never give up, and God Himself will give you peace
< Philippians 4
7 Then God will give you peace, a peace which is too wonderful to understand. That peace will keep your hearts and minds safe as you trust in Christ Jesus. >

Footnote to consider from online :
Paul is stating since Yahshua died for your sins and the Sabbaths and Holy days and new moons are shadows of His death and resurrection and return to earth and His kingdom, do not let anyone who is not a believer judge you for the way you are keeping them. The question here is not whether to keep them or not, but the disciples being judged by pagans for “how” they were keeping them. Gnostics believed that anything dealing with the flesh was evil and they were judging the brethren for feasting during the Holy days and having fellow-ship meals etc on the Sabbath and New Moon.
The Sabbaths and Holy Days “remain shadows” and are not done away with.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is no more a shadow than the Command to not murder or make idols. The NC opens the letters to expose the spirit behind them and writes them on our hearts (conviction of the Spirit of Christ). Yes, we are to spiritually rest in Christ but we are still required to obey that which was Sanctified and Hallowed at creation and codified at Sinai. Can you imagine the chaos in the world beyond what we now see if every Commandment "letter" was not followed by Christians.
Why then does the scriptures say sabbath is a shadow?

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Depends what sabbath{s} you are talking about. If you are talking about the SHADOW sabbath{s} and ORDINANCES from the annual festivals from the MOSAIC BOOK of the COVENANANT as referred to in COL 2:14-17 then yes these are all SHADOWS.

This is NOT talking about God's 4th Commandment, but laws in ORDINANCES from the BOOK of the COVENANT. NOT God's commandments written by God on tables of stone.

The SHADOW sabbath{s} and ORDINANCES are not God's SEVENTH DAY weekly Sabbath from God's 4th Commandment which is one of the 10 Commandments from God's ETERNAL LAW.

The SHADOW sabbath{s} were connected to specific festivals of the old COVENANT and had a different purpose to God's 4th Commandment.

The Shadow sabbath{s} could also fall on ANY DAY of the week. These point to Jesus and God's plan of salvation.

DETAILED SCRIPTURE SUPPORT PROVIDED HERE linked CLICK ME

Hope this helps

So the Saturday sabbath is not a shadow but others are? Why should i not see Saturday sabbath as a shadow too? The reality of sabbath is found in Christ. He promised us rest didnt He?

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Read starting in verse 14 to get the context of what was a shadow... it wasn't the Decalogue. That verse would be a good one to present to Messianics who still keep the feast days.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Read starting in verse 14 to get the context of what was a shadow... it wasn't the Decalogue. That verse would be a good one to present to Messianics who still keep the feast days.
So you dont believe Christ is the reality of saturday sabbath?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
Col 2:16,17 KJV
16) Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
17) Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

The Old Covenant was made up of Laws.
Jesus Fulfilled the entire Law, thereby doing away with the old Covenant.

We are now IN CHRIST.

So Jesus said 'I did not come to abolish the Law, but to do away with it?' Matthew 5:17

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: LoveGodsWord
Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus in the flesh became the reality. Christ wasn't in the flesh yet, so that part of Him wasn't created yet, in the beginning.
The reality for Salvation... ask yourself was Jesus the reality of thou shall not kill? Was He the reality of honouring mother and father?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The reality for Salvation... ask yourself was Jesus the reality of thou shall not kill? Was He the reality of honouring mother and father?
The reality of those things is love right? (Romans 13:8-13) God is love. (1 John 4:8)

• Winner
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

EastCoastRemnant

Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Never said it did, did i? (my memory is poor these days)
No you didn't but you seemed to imply it in your answer that Jesus fulfilled the Decalogue in love... at least that was my take on it.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Why also does the Scriptures say it is impossible to please Yahweh without faith?
^^^ the famous? "why" question.
Why does Yahweh do anything He Does ?

So the Saturday sabbath is not a shadow but others are? Why should i not see Saturday sabbath as a shadow too? The reality of sabbath is found in Christ. He promised us rest didnt He?
In Scripture there is no 'Sa****day' - there is 1st day, 2nd day, 3rd day, 4th day, 5th day, 6th day and Sabbath.
Yahweh declared the 7th day sanctified and holy, for all time in Genesis.
Did Yahweh EVER do this for the other days ? (no, of course not).

Being a shadow of something does not mean it passes away.
Jesus VERIFIED 7th day sabbath and honored Yahweh's TORAH perfectly.
The Apostles likewise upheld TORAH, they never dismissed it.
Religion screwed up - men screwed up - they tried to change the law,
they were and are opposed to Yahweh and enemies of Jesus and enemies of the Gospel of Salvation .

So you dont believe Christ is the reality of saturday sabbath?
Jesus Christ is God, and Son of God. Creator, Comforter, Savior, King of the JEws.
Uncreated Eternel Unchanged.
He did not try to change,
He did not change the 7th day sabbath, rather kept it as did all of His disciples;
religion fell down,
religion failed to follow Jesus - religion made up other things instead, and followed another voice.

Jesus' sheep will not follow another voice. They know His Voice and follow Him Only.

Upvote 0

Doveaman

Re-Created, Not Evolved.
Mar 4, 2009
✟77,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Independence Day in the U.S. is the shadow. The freedom we live in the U.S. is the reality.

The seventh day of the week is the shadow. The freedom we live in Christ is the reality.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls." - (Matt 11:28-29)

The shadow is a rest for the body. The reality is a rest for the soul.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.