Is Religious Tattooing allowed in Christianity?

Danuard_44

May 28, 2020
Dalmatia
✟8,997.00
Country
Croatia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hailed be the Lord, brothers and sisters.

This has been on my mind for some time now, and I've questioned it pretty thoroughly.
To elaborate, by Religious Tattooing I mean permanently marking signs of Christendom upon one's body, in the context of worship/marking faith.

Tattooing, generally, is forbidden (Leviticus 19:28 and maybe? 1 Corinthians 6:19-20), in the case of Leviticus it is said "...And a cutting for the soul ye do not put in your flesh;...", i.e to not harm one's own body. Curiously, it is also said that "...a writing, a cross-mark, ye do not put on you;..." forbidding tattooing in general (specifically the one that I am about to talk about).

In the era of Ottoman rule in Bosnia and Herzegovina, Catholic (referred to as Croats due to there being deep ties of ethnicity with religion) women tattooed (in Serbo-Croatian: "Sicanje") signs of crosses and other religious symbols on their bodies, so that the Muslim (Ottoman) invaders don't marry them. Marriage to Muslims (or any other faith for that matter) in those days was very frowned upon because almost always they'd have to switch religions, which was very frowned upon.
BH_Croats%2C_Tattoo.jpg

So, here is my question: Are they wrong for doing that in the face of having to switch faith? If they weren't wrong, should it still be allowed today with or without that threat of switching faiths?

In my opinion, it was not wrong of them to do so. As a matter of fact, in my mind, it's showing everyone your devotion to your Lord and Saviour, the one who created you and who will one day judge your decisions on the earth. It is, quite literally, treating your body as a temple by decorating it with beautiful marks of your faithfulness to the Lord. Therefore, even without the threat of switching faiths, it would still be a beautiful gesture to show everyone that you love the Lord and all of his acts.

Thank you.

Last edited:

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have a more conservative view of tattooing, and tend to think if God wasn't so keen on it back in Leviticus day, He probably still isn't. Beyond that, I've always thought God did a pretty good job creating us as He wanted us. I find that most things folks do to enhance the original design, don't really enhance it at all, in my opinion. And, just when you were thinking all Episcopalians are raving liberals. ^_^

Upvote 0

Danuard_44

May 28, 2020
Dalmatia
✟8,997.00
Country
Croatia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have a more conservative view of tattooing, and tend to think if God wasn't so keen on it back in Leviticus day, He probably still isn't. Beyond that, I've always thought God did a pretty good job creating us as He wanted us. I find that most things folks do to enhance the original design, don't really enhance it at all, in my opinion. And, just when you were thinking all Episcopalians are raving liberals. ^_^

Very good reasoning, though if you may further elaborate your views on if it would be acceptable within the circumstances of (potentially, though very likely) having to switch faith if you don't do it?

God Bless.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Very good reasoning, though if you may further elaborate your views on if it would be acceptable within the circumstances of (potentially, though very likely) having to switch faith if you don't do it?

God Bless.

The concept of having to switch faith if you don't do it so beyond my experience, I can't relate to it. I've never been real big though on doing things just because someone else tells me that's the thing I should or must do. I've got a wee bit of anti-establishmentarian in me. Okay, maybe more than a wee bit. There's a lot to be said for following one's conscience. Mom use to tell me the only folks I need to please are God and the man I see in the mirror.

Reactions: Danuard_44
Upvote 0

Danuard_44

May 28, 2020
Dalmatia
✟8,997.00
Country
Croatia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The concept of having to switch faith if you don't do it so beyond my experience, I can't relate to it. I've never been real big though on doing things just because someone else tells me that's the thing I should or must do. I've got a wee bit of anti-establishmentarian in me. Okay, maybe more than a wee bit. There's a lot to be said for following one's conscience. Mom use to tell me the only folks I need to please are God and the man I see in the mirror.

Thank you for your input, your mother is incredibly wise!

God Bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Danuard_44

May 28, 2020
Dalmatia
✟8,997.00
Country
Croatia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't see what is wrong with the body that God gave me and why I should want to deface it!

A fair point, I'd ask of you the same as I did for seeking.IAM. If you could elaborate on your views if it would be acceptable within the circumstances of having to switch faith if you don't do it?

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Danuard_44

May 28, 2020
Dalmatia
✟8,997.00
Country
Croatia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A fair point, I'd ask of you the same as I did for seeking.IAM. If you could elaborate on your views if it would be acceptable within the circumstances of having to switch faith if you don't do it?

God Bless.

I'm not in any way disatisfied with my faith as it is. I can only answer for my self, what others do is their personal choice and I don't seek to criticise, or judge them for it. Why should I?

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for your input! I truly appreciate it! It seems that the Coptic Christians were not too far off from our Croat ancestors.

God Bless.

As catholic I'm quite aware of my own church's rather lengthy catechism consisting of various
"do and don'ts", but even in our church theres nothing prohibiting us from getting inked.
That being said, personally I consider the ink itself to be a tool that can be used for good aswell as for bad purposes. Having a demon tattooed anywhere on your body seems sinful, but a beautiful cross or the initials of Christ or Mary seems to be using the ink to do good rather than bad.
To me it's like the pencil and a piece of paper, it can be used to glorify God aswell as blasphemy. The motive and intent makes all the real difference.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Trusting in Him

Oct 25, 2021
Devon
✟49,590.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JohnPaul88

A Soldier In God Army.
Dec 18, 2021
Trenton
✟38,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would say no, our bodies are God’s temple, I would say it would be desecrating God’s temple, take it from someone who knows and has done it and regrets it, and many times I have repented and asked forgiveness, if I could go back in time I never would have gotten them.

• Friendly
Reactions: Cute Peonies
Upvote 0

sandman

Aug 17, 2003
MI
✟122,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Constitution
I have so many scars and they all have a story....so I've never been interested in tats.
The decision is up to you.... but for the purposes of making an informed decision here is some clarification on the passage in Corinthians.
I Cor 6:19&20.... the temple is referencing the body of Christ, not the individual ...Throughout the epistles it is in the plural and references a group of ....or the entire body of Christ... Tabernacle gives reference to the individual → 2Pe 1:13, 2Pe 1:14, 2Co 5:1 & 2Co 5:4....

Upvote 0

Danuard_44

May 28, 2020
Dalmatia
✟8,997.00
Country
Croatia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm not in any way disatisfied with my faith as it is. I can only answer for my self, what others do is their personal choice and I don't seek to criticise, or judge them for it. Why should I?

It seems that perhaps you do not fully comprehend the situation those women were in. I doubt that they were dissatisfied with their religion, but here come attackers and invaders of another religion. Of course, many Croats had to convert to Islam, for otherwise, they'd be below the Bosniaks/Muslims.
The marriages were also rarely consensual, and there was really nothing those women could do. The Ottomans would roll into the village/town and pick them out, there was no question of consent to marry.

I greatly value your input and your stance. A breath of rather fresh air to see all of these open-hearted and judgeless people for once!

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Danuard_44

May 28, 2020
Dalmatia
✟8,997.00
Country
Croatia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say no, our bodies are God’s temple, I would say it would be desecrating God’s temple, take it from someone who knows and has done it and regrets it, and many times I have repented and asked forgiveness, if I could go back in time I never would have gotten them.

Thank you for your input John, great to see word of someone who has actually done it.

As for my question to you, do you think that those Croat women hadn't been in the right about it? Taking into account the forced marriages, and how those tattoos actually helped them avoid forceful faith change.

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Danuard_44

May 28, 2020
Dalmatia
✟8,997.00
Country
Croatia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have so many scars and they all have a story....so I've never been interested in tats.
The decision is up to you.... but for the purposes of making an informed decision here is some clarification on the passage in Corinthians.
I Cor 6:19&20.... the temple is referencing the body of Christ, not the individual ...Throughout the epistles it is in the plural and references a group of ....or the entire body of Christ... Tabernacle gives reference to the individual → 2Pe 1:13, 2Pe 1:14, 2Co 5:1 & 2Co 5:4....

Wow! Thank you for the invaluable information! Really helped clarify some things :oldthumbsup:
God Bless!

Upvote 0