God bless the Working class
Apr 13, 2008
were am I ?!?
✟18,321.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Coming from a Protestant background we were always taught "Religion BAD relationship Good"
But when I became Orthodox I discovered that was wrong and a false Dichotomy. I've heard several Orthodox speakers including Thomas Hopko talk about religion as being bad, but yet he teaches on the importance of Religious practices. I've never understood what he was saying. Is religion just a scary word for today's society, and therefore it must be scorned?

gzt

The age of the Earth is 4.54 ± 0.07 billion years
Jul 14, 2004
Abolish ICE
Visit site
✟118,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
When people do detract from the "religion" image in Orthodoxy (Fr Tom Hopko does it), they aren't replacing it with "relationship". He makes it for his own purposes. I sometimes jokingly say I'm in a religion, not a relationship, or that I'm religious, not spiritual.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I would have to see the context you are speak of, but in general I think Fr Hopko takes a position that Orthodoxy is not just "a" religion. In other words, religion, taken as something that exists on earth in many forms and is intrinsically a man-made thing that "hopes" to please a diety/God through ritual and worship. Contrasted with what he (we?) would call worship in spirit and in truth - that Orthodoxy isn't so much concerned with being "a" religion, but rather knowledge of God in real/experiential way, ie theosis.

I agree though - there have been times when he has said this and it did not make sense to me...

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I have no problem with he word religion. If you worship God in a structured corporate worship that employs rituals then it is a religion. Now the word that has been hijacked and we must be carefull with is 'spiritual'. When people say they have no religion but are spirtitual its usualy code for being agnostic.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have no problem with he word religion. If you worship God in a structured corporate worship that employs rituals then it is a religion. Now the word that has been hijacked and we must be carefull with is 'spiritual'. When people say they have no religion but are spirtitual its usualy code for being agnostic.

Or moral therapeutic deism;)

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,548.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
depends on the context. when Fr Hopko or Fr Schmemann use it they normally use it as a set of rules and practices where man reaches to God, whereas in Orthodoxy it is God who reaches down to man. but many use it today to defend the idea that a True God would have True ways of revealing Himself, and that He created man for a purpose, rather than the pick and choose new age airhead theology that many believe in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
In a two party system, political parties are religions. Modern people just suffer from ideas of utopia. Anthropologically, religion, like political parties, are one of the things that distinguishes humans from other species of life on earth.

If you are "political" and support monogamous gay marriage but oppose legalizing homosexuals and heterosexuals being able to marry multiple spouses, then you are just as "religious" in your politics as the Muslim man is in his Islam when he supports the right of men to marry 3 wives.

When you are political, and believe dogmatically, in the right of women to have legalized abortions, then you are religious, as this is an expression of your own morality pertaining to freedoms. Do you support fetal homicide when a man punches a pregnant woman in the belly? No. You want him brought up on charges of fetal homicide because that is an expression of your own morality pertaining to freedoms.

Anarchy might be void of religion potentially. Depending on what one means by "anarchy."

And by "religion" as a word I'm using it in this post the way it's usually used to mean in popular American culture: a strong moral belief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Don Brigante

Sep 10, 2014
✟7,614.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
An excerpt from professor Alexei Osipov's book "The Search for Truth on the Path of Reason", published in English and Russian. (Osipov is a well known Russian Orthodox theologian, professor and lecturer from Moscow Orthodox Theological Seminary):

There are several different points of view about the derivation of the word “religion” (from the Latin word religio, meaning conscientiousness, piety, reverence, religion, holiness, service to God). Thus, Cicero, the famous Roman orator, writer, and political activist of the first century B.C. considered that this word came from the Latin verb relegere (meaning, to gather again, to re-consider, to set aside for a particular use), with a connotative meaning of “showing reverence” or “relating to something with particular attention or respect.” Proceeding from this, Cicero sees the very existence of religion as reverence before the higher powers, before the Divinity. This thought of Cicero’s assuredly shows that piety is one of the most important elements of religion, without which religiosity becomes sanctimoniousness, hypocrisy, and empty ritual; and belief in God becomes no more than cold, lifeless doctrine. At the same time, we cannot agree with the statement that reverence toward something mysterious, even toward God, comprises the essence of religion. No matter how great and necessary piety is to religion, it is nevertheless only one of the feelings present in man’s religious relationship to God, and does not express its essence.

The famous Western Christian writer and orator Lactantious (†330) considered that the term “religion” comes from the Latin verb “religare,” which means “to bind, to join.” Therefore he defines religion as a union of piety between man and God. “With this condition,” he writes, “we are born in order to show a just and dutiful submission to the Lord Who has given us being; to know only Him, to follow only Him. Being bound by this union of piety, we find ourselves in union with God, from which religion has received its name. ‘Religion’ comes from the union of piety by which God has bound man with Himself….”

Lactantious’ definition reveals the very essence of religion—a living union of man’s spirit with God, which takes place within the secret chambers of the human heart.

Blessed Augustine (†430) similarly understood the essence of religion, although he considered that the word “religion” comes from the verb “religare” meaning “to come together,” and that religion itself indicates a coming together, the renewal of a once lost union between man and God. “Seeking this,” he writes, “or rather, seeking out again (from which apparently it has received the name ‘religion’), we yearn towards Him with love, so that once we attain it, we will be at peace.”

Thus, the etymology of the world “religion” points to its two basic meanings: unity and reverence, which explain religion as a mystical spiritual union: a living, reverent unification of man with God."

Sergei Bulgakov (†1944), the great Russian thinker and later theologian, expressed this thought in the following words:

"Religion is [a process of] acquiring the knowledge of God, and the experience of a connection with God."

PS You can find Osipov's books (in Russian and English) at his website.

goo.gl/pDXcWU
goo.gl/GI4hCJ

PPS Generally, I like Prof. Osipov's books, But please be careful. When you start reading his books, you have to filter his thoughts and ideas. Some of them do not sound Orthodox. For example, he is against infant baptism. God bless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
J

JustAnglican

I'm not EOC so I am not familiar with how you use the word "religion". My layperson's observation concluded a long time ago that since the secular world labelled religion as bad, Christians felt a need to disassociate themselves from the word.

A wise men once quoted (honestly forgot who he was): Religion without spirituality is sad, Spirituality without religion is pure laziness.

Upvote 0