Is paraphrasing a bible verse wrong?(tattoo)

2500HDRob

Mar 26, 2011
✟15,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I love this verse, though I wouldn't consider it paraphrasing. Wasn't sure how to word it.

But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"

Genesis 3:9

If I got the above verse, but put - God at the end. Would I be doing something wrong in the eyes of the Lord?

The verse from revelation about removing any part of the bible had me questioning not putting the gen 3:9 and putting - God.

Even though God did say it.

I appreciate any help. I have my reasons for wanting this verse tattooed, I will be more than happy to explain if anyone wants to hear, but I do not intend to debate your views against tattoos.

-Rob

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Paraphrasing is fine, as long as we're not changing the original meaning. Sometimes it's beneficial to place the content in a different wrapper. But I agree that adding another "God" to the verse confuses what's going on.

Upvote 0

Ttery

May 27, 2010
✟19,617.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Leviticus 19:28

"“‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."

I understand you may be mad at me, but I don't think you should do it since it's going to offend God.

I'm not trying to condemn you, I'm just trying to let God use me to help you before you make a mistake.

Upvote 0

2500HDRob

Mar 26, 2011
✟15,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

"“‘Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD."

I understand you may be mad at me, but I don't think you should do it since it's going to offend God.

I'm not trying to condemn you, I'm just trying to let God use me to help you before you make a mistake.

I appreciate your help, but you took Leviticus out of context. I would definitely exam to whom the law was given, and to why.

Upvote 0

Breaking Babylon

Who is this King of glory?
Site Supporter
Jan 1, 2006
West Virginia
✟58,374.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Definitely out of context. If you take that verse seriously, you should also stone someone who misses church on Sunday, never wear clothes made from more than one material, so on, so forth...

Levitical law is for priests of the Jewish tribe of Levi, which no longer exists. We are not bound by these laws.

Anyway, I think putting "- God" is redundant, considering God is already in the sentence. I like the tattoo idea, and I don't think you would be wrong for phrasing it that way, but I personally think it'd be better just as the verse, book, and chapter. :)

Upvote 0

tsuanthony

Jan 18, 2010
Oregon... rain :D
✟15,251.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

im pretty sure that "tattoo marks" was not in the scripture, nor did that word even exist at that time. >_>

Upvote 0

shinkou

Mar 17, 2011
✟8,293.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
im pretty sure that "tattoo marks" was not in the scripture, nor did that word even exist at that time. >_>

I think you are probably right that the word was different at that time. However, tattoos are found on Egyptian Mummies that are over 2000 years old. Infact the oldest known tattoo was found to be close to the year 3300 B.C. It is a very very old tradition to put a tattoo on the person's skin.

They might have used a different word and a different way to put them on the body, but I am sure they had the word for it and that it meant the same thing.

https://www.msu.edu/~krcmari1/individual/history.html

I think that putting a tattoo on your body is your personal choice. If you think that God will allow it, then I think it is ok. I think I understand you only want to write the tatto like this:

Where are you? - God

I think that is ok. It does not change the meaning of the verse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Angelfrog

Rock, paper, JESUS! I win!
Oct 22, 2009
Sitting on a cloud in England.
✟9,863.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Leaving aside the whole tattoo debate, I just want to check I'm reading your question right, OP.

So you're saying that what you're actually considering having tattooed is:

'But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"- God'

(I assume you want the word 'God' to replace the Bible reference?

To be honest, It doesn't read terribly well. When one puts a hyphen then a name it would follow only the words actually spoken and is used to show who spoke them.

It would read-

"Where are you?" - God.

You have a whole sentence- which includes '...the Lord God called to the man....'
The quote already tells us who is speaking- so, no you wouldn't put ' -God ' after that.
It just makes it look confusing and it's rather clumsy English. (You can tell I have a literature/ language background, can't you? :D )-

As for paraphrasing- as others have said, as long as the meaning isn't altered, it's fine.

When I'm working with the youth groups I'm involved in, I paraphrase frequently- in a way that still says what the Bible does, but so that that particular child/ teen can understand at that given moment.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums