Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
"21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

They believe in a type of Jesus. But we know its a phony one. They also dont believe in his blood atonement. It is very clear they never had the holy ghost as we do.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Danigt22, I think we can rule out the idea that this passage may be speaking of Muslims (based on v22).

Matthew 7
21 Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’
23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I NEVER knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

That said, there are many in the church who "claim" to be Christians who are not/never were. Rather, they are "tares" or CINO (Christians In Name Only who are deceived, deceivers or both). As the Lord Jesus will tell them in the Judgment at the Great White Throne, "I NEVER knew you".

Matthew 13
24 Jesus presented another parable to them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field.
25 But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went away.
26 But when the wheat sprouted and bore grain, then the tares became evident also.
27 The slaves of the landowner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’
28 And he said to them, ‘An enemy has done this!’ The slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go and gather them up?’
29 But he said, ‘No; for while you are gathering up the tares, you may uproot the wheat with them.
30 ‘Allow both to grow together until the harvest; and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather up the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them up; but gather the wheat into my barn.”

36 Then He left the crowds and went into the house. And His disciples came to Him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the tares of the field.”
37 And He said, “The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man,
38 and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one;
39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are angels.
40 So just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age.
41 The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness,
42 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
43 “Then THE RIGHTEOUS WILL SHINE FORTH AS THE SUN in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.

God bless you!

--David

John 17
3 This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
"21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity."

They believe in a type of Jesus. But we know its a phony one. They also dont believe in his blood atonement. It is very clear they never had the holy ghost as we do.

No, it's talking about us, it's talking about Christians.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There are ones who call Jesus "Lord", but they do not do what He wants.

And these ones make a point of pointing at prophesying and casting out demons. But did they relate as family with our Father and children of God? Did they love any and all people?

Prophesying and casting out devils can be considered a status item. Jesus is not interested in people having status.

Also . . . by the way . . . Jesus is quoting what they claim. He does not say they are telling the truth.

Upvote 0

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello @Danigt22, I think we can rule out the idea that this passage may be speaking of Muslims (based on v22).

Matthew 7
21 Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter.
22 Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’
23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I NEVER knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.’

That said, there are many in the church who "claim" to be Christians who are not/never were. Rather, they are "tares" or CINO (Christians In Name Only who are deceived, deceivers or both). As the Lord Jesus will tell them in the Judgment at the Great White Throne, "I NEVER knew you".

Matthew 13
24 Jesus presented another parable to them, saying, “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to a man who sowed good seed in his field.
25 But while his men were sleeping, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went away.
26 But when the wheat sprouted and bore grain, then the tares became evident also.
27 The slaves of the landowner came and said to him, ‘Sir, did you not sow good seed in your field? How then does it have tares?’
28 And he said to them, ‘An enemy has done this!’ The slaves said to him, ‘Do you want us, then, to go and gather them up?’
29 But he said, ‘No; for while you are gathering up the tares, you may uproot the wheat with them.
30 ‘Allow both to grow together until the harvest; and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, “First gather up the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them up; but gather the wheat into my barn.”

36 Then He left the crowds and went into the house. And His disciples came to Him and said, “Explain to us the parable of the tares of the field.”
37 And He said, “The one who sows the good seed is the Son of Man,
38 and the field is the world; and as for the good seed, these are the sons of the kingdom; and the tares are the sons of the evil one;
39 and the enemy who sowed them is the devil, and the harvest is the end of the age; and the reapers are angels.
40 So just as the tares are gathered up and burned with fire, so shall it be at the end of the age.
41 The Son of Man will send forth His angels, and they will gather out of His kingdom all stumbling blocks, and those who commit lawlessness,
42 and will throw them into the furnace of fire; in that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
43 “Then THE RIGHTEOUS WILL SHINE FORTH AS THE SUN in the kingdom of their Father. He who has ears, let him hear.

God bless you!

--David

John 17
3 This is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

I guess there are false believers among us. Nevertheless the moment we have the holy ghost when believe, this something he will never say. He cannot deny himself. Maybe lordship salvationists?

John 6:40
“And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.”

Upvote 0

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
There are ones who call Jesus "Lord", but they do not do what He wants.

And these ones make a point of pointing at prophesying and casting out demons. But did they relate as family with our Father and children of God? Did they love any and all people?

Prophesying and casting out devils can be considered a status item. Jesus is not interested in people having status.

Also . . . by the way . . . Jesus is quoting what they claim. He does not say they are telling the truth.

We will be what he wants, that is why we have grace. Im running the good race of the faith to earn my crowns. But my salvation, that is Christ alone work.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,381.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
There were many people in the 60's who pretended they were into the peace movement and flashed peace signs and grew their hair but had absolutely no interest in peace and agape love unless it was a hassle free physical love fest which was of course not the real intention. A simple example of how things can go two ways. I'm sure the same thing happened at the time of the Way and has continued within the religion. Some follow the narrow path while most are in it for other reasons of self interest or just plain don't get it.

Upvote 0

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
There were many people in the 60's who pretended they were into the peace movement and flashed peace signs and grew their hair but had absolutely no interest in peace and agape love unless it was a hassle free physical love fest which was of course not the real intention. A simple example of how things can go two ways. I'm sure the same thing happened at the time of the Way and has continued within the religion. Some follow the narrow path while most are in it for other reasons or just plain don't get it.

Why wouldnt someone want to be in Gods kingdom?, I guess there are people in the church only for the money. This was a serious issue for the apostles. Such as Peter who curse Ananais and Sapphira, or Timothy who was angry at the man not taking care of his family and even James who was angry at his brothers for seeking treasures in this earth and thinking obeying the law was more important than charity or even Judas who sold our Lord Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
True enough and then just like now most just don't get that the counter-culture of the Kingdom was an alternate way of life. They continually tried to make it over into man's image rather than God's.

I think even at our best, our sinful nature will be disgusting to God. Not until the resurrection we will start living as we should. Admitting our sinful nature and how much we deserve hell is the first step for salvation, then we ask our lord Jesus Christ to save us.

Upvote 0

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
That is right. Understanding the difference between the governance of man and the governance of the Father and then living it, is essential.

I want to have rewards in the judgement seat of Christ. But doing it out of fear of hell, I think believers shouldnt fear hell if they dont deny Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

It's referring to professing followers of Jesus who aren't really abiding in Christ.

A relationship with Jesus is not based on what you are doing, it is based on what He is doing.

All the glory always goes to God and what He is doing .... not what any of us are doing.

verse 22.... are examples of professing christians who are usurping the glory of the Lord for themselves .... ie ... did't we do this (our works).... didn't we do that ... (our works)

anything WE do is filthy rags .... it's all about Jesus and what he is doing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Danigt22

Feb 27, 2020
Heredia, Heredia Centro
✟33,158.00
Country
Costa Rica
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Celibate
It's referring to professing followers of Jesus who aren't really abiding in Christ.

A relationship with Jesus is not based on what you are doing, it is based on what He is doing.

All the glory always goes to God and what He is doing .... not what any of us are doing.

verse 23 .... are examples of christians who are usurping the glory of the Lord for themselves.

Amen

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
verse 23 .... are examples of christians who are usurping the glory of the Lord for themselves.
Hello Eleos1954, although I've never heard of it before, I can understand how you might arrive at that interpretation of v22-23, EXCEPT for the fact that the Lord told them plainly, "I NEVER knew you".

How is it possible to be both a "Christian" and, at the same time, someone who the Lord NEVER knew :scratch:

Thanks!

--David

Matthew 7

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hello Eleos1954, although I've never heard of it before, I can understand how you might arrive at that interpretation of v22-23, EXCEPT for the fact that the Lord told them plainly, "I NEVER knew you".

How is it possible to be both a "Christian" and, at the same time, someone who the Lord NEVER knew :scratch:

Thanks!

--David

Matthew 7

I stated "professing" christians.

verb

gerund or present participle: professing
  1. 1.
    claim that one has (a quality or feeling), especially when this is not the case.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I stated "professing" christians.

verb

gerund or present participle: professing
  1. 1.
    claim that one has (a quality or feeling), especially when this is not the case.
Thank you for clearing that up :)

Upvote 0