Visit site
✟1,022,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am curious that people get down on bended knee and light candles and recite the rosary, and this is not worship?

Is it worship to get on bended knee to show respect to royalty? Bended knee doesn't always mean worship - often it means respect or even respect for the office.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0

Thomas Woods

Nov 1, 2016
Greensboro, North Carolina
✟15,386.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Is it worship to get on bended knee to show respect to royalty? Bended knee doesn't always mean worship - often it means respect or even respect for the office.
Royalty rule by divine rite, chosen by God, and thus the need to get down on bended knee.
To me, that looks like more than paying respect, alas I am ignorant in many ways.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I am curious that people get down on bended knee and light candles and recite the rosary, and this is not worship?

Exactly!!!!!!! It is NOT WORSHIP!

One is kneeling in 'prayer'. In reverence.

The 'ROSARY' is a prayer to God. It is meant as a prayer to God in memory of the life of Jesus. It is said asking Mary to intercede for us.

The Rosary is a prayer on the mysteries. It is not a worship prayer to Mary! I don't know of 'any' Catholic who worships Mary. I have been a Catholic 53 years now!

Please, try and see past what you 'think' is happening when someone kneels and prays in front of a statue or a Cross. There is more to it than what 'it looks like'.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Royalty rule by divine rite, chosen by God, and thus the need to get down on bended knee.
To me, that looks like more than paying respect, alas I am ignorant in many ways.

Is that the case with all royalty?

A clarification, in the Orthodox Church, we tend not to kneel before an icon of Mary when asking for intercession. If there is any kneeling, it is a combination of giving respect and praying to God alongside the prayers of Mary, not to kneel to her in worship.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟575,716.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Did'nt Mary and family try to stop Jesus from his ministry.
Mark3:21
Not sure about this. The Greek just translates as "those belonging to him" which has variously been translated into "family", "friends" or "townspeople".
Either way, this could just be out of concern for his safety and not trying to stop him for they did not do this in other towns when he preached.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Sometimes Y'SHUA was WITH disciples in a house; and Y'SHUA'S FAMILY (Mother, brothers a;
nd sisters) were outside trying to get HIM or get to HIM.
Friends, disciples, fellow-countrymen, were WITH HIM INSIDE ,
and not trying to get HIM out.
Some told Y'SHUA - behold- YOUR MOTHER AND BROTHERS AND SISTERS ARE OUTSIDE WANTING YOU;
distinguishing Y'SHUA'S FAMILY from/
between fellow-countrymen, cousins, neighbors , friends and disciples.
This is not compatible with some of man's doctrines,
so is conveniently ignored, and for a long time was 'buried' and covered up entirely or as much as possible..

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,904.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It seems to me that you are using this event appearance of Samuel so as to give some sort of credence to the living talking to the dead as is the practice of the Catholic religion.
You seem to be saying that If God allowed it on this one occasion, why wouldn't He do it on other occasions? This opens the door for believers to dabble into areas in which God expressly forbids them.
No, I am simply showing you that what you claimed to be true was actually false.
This is not a new argument my friend. There has been the explination that the witch faked Samuel's appearance. Saul was tricked into believing that it was really Samuel when it was only some type of deception on the part of the witch.

Evidently you are unaware that The Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament, uses the word eggastrimuthos to describe the woman in verse 9 and those who practice the same type of divination.

The word....EGGASTRIMUTHOS translates literally as ventriloquist.

This indicates that she had the ability to deceive people into thinking there was some other personage present by the throwing of her voice.

Today "physics" do exactly the same thing which is why God tells us to not be involved.
God's Word says:
15 And Samuel said to Saul, “Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up?”

16 Then said Samuel, “Why then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord has departed from thee and has become thine enemy?​

Major1 says:
15 And the witch pretending to be Samuel said to Saul, “Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up?”

16 Then said the witch pretending to be Samuel, “Why then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord has departed from thee and has become thine enemy?​

Amazing what liberties people are willing to take with God's Word when it says something they don't like.

Upvote 0

Biblicist

Full Gospel believer
Mar 27, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
✟51,094.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is sad that you claim to know my mind, something only God can know.
Major1 made the statement, "The idea that dead people’s spirits can be contacted for information is false.", and all I did was post scripture demonstrating his claim to be untrue.
It is also sad that you feel the need to push a false interpretation of scripture by claiming that the mediums and spiritists "pray to the dead", only to backflip and claim that they actually communicate with lying demons, the appearance of an actual dead person supposedly being completely unexpected by the witch.
Very sad how you falsely linked in "praying to the dead" in order to disparage the expression.
Too bad. So sad.
The comment by Major1 still applies in that not only do the Scriptures forbid praying to the dead but the passage in Samuel demonstrates that even the medium was stunned that it was Samuel and not a lying demonic spirit. As she would have been aware that demons do try and impersonate those who have died but when she recognised Samuel she knew that she had been tricked. As for Saul, did he expect to see Samuel in person, well I doubt that he did, where he probably only hoped to hear some words through the medium but of course the Lord intervened in a mighty way to show his great displeasure with Sauls wickedness.

As for all this nonsense that we can pray to 'Mary' or to other dead Believers beggars belief, as even the Disciples were told by Jesus himself that when we pray we are to pray to the Father, not through 'Mary' or via any other dead person but to the Father. There is not even a hint that people are to go to their favourite franchised dead person but instead our prayers are to be directed to the Father. We are certainly told that the Holy Spirit will intercede on our behalf to the Father when we pray in the Spirit (tongues) where there is no suggestion that the Holy Spirit will choose a dead person to intercede on his behalf.

• Winner
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Evidently you are unaware that The Septuagint, the Greek translation of the Hebrew Old Testament, uses the word eggastrimuthos to describe the woman in verse 9 and those who practice the same type of divination.

The word....EGGASTRIMUTHOS translates literally as ventriloquist.

This indicates that she had the ability to deceive people into thinking there was some other personage present by the throwing of her voice.

Today "physics" do exactly the same thing which is why God tells us to not be involved.

Where is Harry Houdini when you need him?

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

No! this is veneration, the honor due to Mary because of who she is, the Theotokos.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

If you are ignorant, it is better to remain silent, lest you open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No, I am simply showing you that what you claimed to be true was actually false.

God's Word says:

16 Then said Samuel, “Why then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord has departed from thee and has become thine enemy?​

Major1 says:
15 And the witch pretending to be Samuel said to Saul, “Why hast thou disquieted me, to bring me up?”

16 Then said the witch pretending to be Samuel, “Why then dost thou ask of me, seeing the Lord has departed from thee and has become thine enemy?​

Amazing what liberties people are willing to take with God's Word when it says something they don't like.

What's worse is when people try to make the Word of God mean what they want it to say to match a denominational thesis instead of digging in deeper to find the real lesson.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No! this is veneration, the honor due to Mary because of who she is, the Theotokos.

Tomato or tamato!!! The end is still the same my friend.

You are welcome to your opinion and I wish you well.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

God's Word says:

Major1 says:

Do you think it is wise to put words into the mouth of others????

Is what you just posted actually what I said????

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Is that the case with all royalty?

A clarification, in the Orthodox Church, we tend not to kneel before an icon of Mary when asking for intercession. If there is any kneeling, it is a combination of giving respect and praying to God alongside the prayers of Mary, not to kneel to her in worship.

Understood. Now if someone was visiting your church and saw your actions, do you think that they would understand what you are doing when you kneel to Mary just as you do the Lord Jesus?????

Would they not appear to be the same action?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,022,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Understood. Now if someone was visiting your church and saw your actions, do you think that they would understand what you are doing when you kneel to Mary just as you do the Lord Jesus?????

Would they not appear to be the same action?

I honestly have never seen anyone do that in our church. It's not something typically done, though I certainly see how it could be misunderstood.

ETA: Also, it is rare to have icons of Mary without child Jesus in the icon. She always is pointing to Him.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I honestly have never seen anyone do that in our church. It's not something typically done, though I certainly see how it could be misunderstood.

ETA: Also, it is rare to have icons of Mary without child Jesus in the icon. She always is pointing to Him.

And that is the problem sister!

1 Corinthians 8:13 ...........
"Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble. "

Matthew 18:6-9.........
"But whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea. “Woe to the world for temptations to sin! For it is necessary that temptations come, but woe to the one by whom the temptation comes! And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire. And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into the hell of fire.

1 Corinthians 8:9 .........
"But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. "

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.