• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Is Looking at Boobs a Sin?

• Thread starter Clement of Alexandria
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟97,021.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
We need to distunguish two aspects of our being created as sexual beings

1. We are sexual. This means we all have sexual desires, interest, feelings and want sexual satisfaction at some point in our lives. Our naturally ocurring sex drive brings about in different ways for each person:
An interest in the opposite sex
An interest in what the opposite sex looks like
Sexual arousal - erections for guys, sexual feelings for girls
An awareness of and interest in one's physical development and assessment of one's "attractivesness".
A general interest in sexual matters.

None of these is wrong in themselves. That verse in Matthew about lust is very badly misapplied to cover far too much of our normal sexuality. Consequently, many young people become very confused and guilty when they are in fact just being pretty normal sexual creatures. Some curiosity, or even an erection is not automaticallyl lustful.

2 Lust happens when a person actively and deliberately engages in morally wrong behaviour, or active contemplation of something wrong. Looking at inappropriate content is one example of something that is wrong.

That a woman's breasts have become attractive is perfectly plain. But, how many women actually wish they had very small, flat breasts so as not to have that attraction for males? We can't have it both ways.

Why don't we just accept that breasts are a fact of life, that some do attract appreciative looks, that this does not imply lust or rejection of one's spouse. And, let us attack the notion that good sex and desirability require god like bodies. That eliminates almost all of us from sexual fulfillment if it were true.

Non lustful thinking requires that every person is seen as a person, not just a body. What they wear, reveal or parade should not affect my comittment to my spouse. That is where I am at. I will pass comment on an attractive woman if I want to. I will make my appreciation known to her if opportunity arises. I remain quite indifferent to those who flaunt themselves. My thinking has moved far ahead of where thay are at, poor creatures. And I will treat with equal enjoyment and respect any woman I meet irrespective of her physical features. This is what I see as sexual wholeness in the way that Jesus intended, a settled and robust attitude of heart, not an anxious denial of a masterful Divine design. After all, did God create beautiful women to make life harder for men? Sure, sin is there, which makes ita bit harder, but the question still remains.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

Music4Hym777

Daughter of Christ
Apr 27, 2004
Arizona
✟10,229.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Republican
One thing I will say is that we can all help each other out.

For the girls: Wear clothes that are modest, if your boy friend doesn't mind going shopping with you then take him with. One outfit can ruin your entire reputation. I can no longer say to my fiance "hey babe I got a new outfit, its really cute" without my fiance worrying about it. This is because ONE time I wore a completely revealing outfit and it was really bad. My fiance literally would not look at me at all, not into my eyes, not anywhere. I didn't realize just how revealing it was until it was pointed out to me. I ofcourse apologized to my fiance and was proud of him for not looking. I have also talked to him about what arrouses him specifically. For some unknown reason to me when I wear heels with a skirt so that you can see my legs it really turns him on, so now if I want to wear heels I make sure that I am wearing pants or else very low heels. He says that he lusts over my calves when I am wearing heels and he can see them. So I refrain from wearing them....because of that too, I never wear shorts, ever! Even in 115F I will wear pants so that he is not tempted to lust.

Guys: Tell us what we are doing wrong. Yeah guys get the worse end of things, but I am a firm believer in communication. If someone that is really close to you (say a girlfriend or a close friend or a sister) is wearing something that makes you lust or look, call them out on it....I know it sounds weird, but tell them that that article of clothing is segestive and ask them not to wear it. Thats what my fiance did with me with the dress that I mentioned above. So I dont wear it anymore and I am careful to not get anything that low again so that we wont have the problem. Girls dont mind covering up, just ask them, we dont know what we are doing wrong if no one tells us, especially your sisters in Christ should be willing to conform to help you.

Upvote 0

Vilnius

Sep 27, 2004
✟15,802.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Music4Hym777 said:
One thing I will say is that we can all help each other out.

For the girls: Wear clothes that are modest, if your boy friend doesn't mind going shopping with you then take him with. One outfit can ruin your entire reputation. I can no longer say to my fiance "hey babe I got a new outfit, its really cute" without my fiance worrying about it. This is because ONE time I wore a completely revealing outfit and it was really bad. My fiance literally would not look at me at all, not into my eyes, not anywhere. I didn't realize just how revealing it was until it was pointed out to me. I ofcourse apologized to my fiance and was proud of him for not looking. I have also talked to him about what arrouses him specifically. For some unknown reason to me when I wear heels with a skirt so that you can see my legs it really turns him on, so now if I want to wear heels I make sure that I am wearing pants or else very low heels. He says that he lusts over my calves when I am wearing heels and he can see them. So I refrain from wearing them....because of that too, I never wear shorts, ever! Even in 115F I will wear pants so that he is not tempted to lust.

Guys: Tell us what we are doing wrong. Yeah guys get the worse end of things, but I am a firm believer in communication. If someone that is really close to you (say a girlfriend or a close friend or a sister) is wearing something that makes you lust or look, call them out on it....I know it sounds weird, but tell them that that article of clothing is segestive and ask them not to wear it. Thats what my fiance did with me with the dress that I mentioned above. So I dont wear it anymore and I am careful to not get anything that low again so that we wont have the problem. Girls dont mind covering up, just ask them, we dont know what we are doing wrong if no one tells us, especially your sisters in Christ should be willing to conform to help you.

What a great post! A great resource forr those who want to dress modestly or those who want to learn more is purefreedom.org. And "A Return To Modesty" is a great book explaining how modesty benefits all women.

Upvote 0

Music4Hym777

Daughter of Christ
Apr 27, 2004
Arizona
✟10,229.00
Faith
Lutheran
Politics
US-Republican
Vilnius said:
What a great post! A great resource forr those who want to dress modestly or those who want to learn more is purefreedom.org. And "A Return To Modesty" is a great book explaining how modesty benefits all women.

I am also willing to talk at lengths about this if anyone wants to PM me, I may not be a professional yet, but I do have a lot of experience in this area and would be willing to discuss this with anyone that has questions reguarding it.

Upvote 0

Cappadocian

I'm Kind of a Big Deal.
Aug 21, 2005
Grand Rapids, Michigan -- Lower west side.
✟1,341.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I don't think there is anything wrong with a guy liking the way breasts look and wanting to look at them. I mean they are right up there under our faces for a reason -- to be a kind of "lure" for the opposite sex. Peacocks have brightly colored feathers, baboons have colorful backsides, and humans have perpetually enlarged breasts a foot below their eyes. :blush: (BTW, the human is the only mammal with swollen breasts even while she is not feeding young.)

So, Please, please please, just be happy and don't worry so much about this issue. Just try to act normal and uninhibited and don't be so self-conscious about this issue.:confused:

Just ask yourself: "What's the very worst that could happen to me if I stared?" If you need to, just check every now and then while you're with a friend to see if they are still there. :D Most likely she'll be flattered by the attention and will feel affirmed -- especially if she has small bosoms. If she gets uptight and testy because of a little eyeing by you -- well would you really like to share your precious time and attention with her anyways?

Hey, mebbe you'll get a date out of it. ;)

Let me let you in on a little secret... everybody examines other people's breasts, including girls!^_^

In Christ.

-- Capp

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Music4Hym777 said:
Your fiance is a very blessed man.

Guys, yeah, God made the womans body in just the right way to grab our attention, captivating and beautiful and mysterious and all curvy and stuff....

But if she's not YOUR wife, she's someone else's. She's not your mystery. If you want to have a chance of her becoming your mystery, drag your eyes into hers, the eyes are the window of the soul and that's where connection starts.

Otherwise, if it's really bad I walk down a different aisle, I completely avoid her area of the office, I avert my gaze and pray a few silent Hail Marys. Throw yourself on God's grace and eventually her novelty will wear off and she won't be some intensely sexual thing anymore, she'll just be a very attractive lady and that's a lot easier to deal with.

Upvote 0

DavetheProphet

Oct 20, 2005
New York
Visit site
✟15,862.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Cappadocian said:
I don't think there is anything wrong with a guy liking the way breasts look and wanting to look at them. I mean they are right up there under our faces for a reason -- to be a kind of "lure" for the opposite sex. Peacocks have brightly colored feathers, baboons have colorful backsides, and humans have perpetually enlarged breasts a foot below their eyes. :blush: (BTW, the human is the only mammal with swollen breasts even while she is not feeding young.)

So, Please, please please, just be happy and don't worry so much about this issue. Just try to act normal and uninhibited and don't be so self-conscious about this issue.:confused:

Just ask yourself: "What's the very worst that could happen to me if I stared?" If you need to, just check every now and then while you're with a friend to see if they are still there. :D Most likely she'll be flattered by the attention and will feel affirmed -- especially if she has small bosoms. If she gets uptight and testy because of a little eyeing by you -- well would you really like to share your precious time and attention with her anyways?

Hey, mebbe you'll get a date out of it. ;)

Let me let you in on a little secret... everybody examines other people's breasts, including girls!^_^

In Christ.

-- Capp
Well, I don't want to get into a debate, but just to mention it, humans aren't mammals/animals. Humans were designed especially different than animals by God, because we were made in His image. He gave us a mind and a soul. Anyways yeah, back on topic. All guys struggle with it. I don't think it's respectful, even to a girl I'm dating (even though I havn't dated lol). I try to avoid looking because of that. That's just me tho.

Upvote 0

Ila

Jul 23, 2005
✟149.00
Faith
Christian
Sorry to say, I haven't read the whole thread. My opinnion:

"Am I normal? Do other guys feel this way? Do girls like it when guys look at them? Will you judge us negatively or humiliate us?:confused: "

You are normal if you are interested in women (and their atonomy :) )
To look is O. K. to stare is not. Pray that you'll find your companion asap or that you'll be able to cope with being alone for the rest of your life as well as possible. :(

Ila

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.