Is life an adventure? Does G-d write boring stories?

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you disagree?

Yes,

You sound anything but blessed and He wants His chosen blessed - no exceptions.

Sounds like you need wise and discerning council from mature folks who you know love you and seek your best.

Blessings,

Carl Emerson.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah worked at the homeless shelter. Cleaned up, and processed new clothing.

Not exactly an adventure, but I did it.

Great! I guess what I was trying to get to is ... life often seems mundane ... not adventurous .... so seemingly meaningless ... so one needs to seek those things that do have meaning and that is most often accomplished by helping others.

Along with that some engage in sports/activities and/or hobbies and that helps as well.

If one finds themselves in a continual "daily grind" then one needs to seek wholesome things to do outside of the "daily grind" ... and there are a multitudes of them.

God Bless.

Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Great! I guess what I was trying to get to is ... life often seems mundane ... not adventurous .... so seemingly meaningless ... so one needs to seek those things that do have meaning and that is most often accomplished by helping others.

Along with that some engage in sports/activities and/or hobbies and that helps as well.

If one finds themselves in a continual "daily grind" then one needs to seek wholesome things to do outside of the "daily grind" ... and there are a multitudes of them.

God Bless.

Fascinating. I must be doing it wrong then. Doing charity work seemed more like just work. The only difference between going to the homeless shelter, and going to work, was that I didn't get a pay check for one of them.

Same is true of joining the softball team. I would be totally wiped out from work, and then start running around on a field, and be utterly exhausted the entire game. So I quit that.

None of the people I was with ever contacted me about not showing up, even after doing that for a whole year. I was a lousy player, which isn't surprising given how tired I was. I just assumed that was a clear sign I made the right choice to leave the Church softball team.

• Informative
Reactions: vinsight4u
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fascinating. I must be doing it wrong then. Doing charity work seemed more like just work. The only difference between going to the homeless shelter, and going to work, was that I didn't get a pay check for one of them.

Same is true of joining the softball team. I would be totally wiped out from work, and then start running around on a field, and be utterly exhausted the entire game. So I quit that.

None of the people I was with ever contacted me about not showing up, even after doing that for a whole year. I was a lousy player, which isn't surprising given how tired I was. I just assumed that was a clear sign I made the right choice to leave the Church softball team.

well, so you have eliminated a couple things, I encourage you to keep looking for something you enjoy doing ... perhaps just going and and enjoying things of nature ... not sure what your interests might be.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I hope this doesn’t come across the wrong way, but do you ever experience God? Whenever I feel His presence, the last word I would choose to describe it is ‘boring.’

It depends on what you mean by "experience G-d". That can many a hundred different things to a hundred people.

I would would say there have been about 2 to 4 different things that happened in my life where I am absolutely convinced the hand of G-d was at work. These were largely direct answers to prayer.

One was getting fired from a job, having bills due, and no money, and no leads on a new job. I remember praying that I had no other options, no solution to my problem. The next morning, the phone rang, and it was a job I had applied to nearly 2 months prior. They offered me a position the same day.

That was G-d. No doubt.

Another time I rolled a truck over a 50 foot drop, and landed in a creek bed, about 20 miles from the nearest town, at 2 AM in the morning. Not only did I walk away from the tiny demolished truck, but all I had was a bloody nose from it, and managed to find a house walking along the road I rolled off of, and a woman called emergency services for help.

Clearly G-d at work there.

Lastly, I had a co-worker that was driving about 20 miles in the rain without windshield wipers. I offered to try and fix them, but found myself completely at a loss as to how to repair the car. I prayed that I did not want my co-worker trying to drive in the rain without wipers, but I had no idea how to fix it. At the very moment of me speaking, my hand slipped and shorted the wiper so it worked. I realized it was the wires that needed cleaned and put back on. After doing so, it worked perfectly.

The very hand of G-d at work. There are maybe a couple other examples, but those are the big ones.

That's 3 times in 30 years. And while 'boring' my not describe those 'moments' of time. Being fired, and having a stack of bills to pay, is not an 'adventure' either. Crashing in the middle of the night is not an 'adventure'. Getting drenched in the rain, while cranking on a car, is not an adventure.

But you are right. When G-d does decide to move, it is not boring. 3 days out of 10,950 were not boring.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you enjoy major league baseball? I used to go to those.
I have lots of inspiration type of deals on my walls. One says, Life is what you Make it. Another one, Good things happen to those who go for it! I've had lots of thrills that I could never have imagined would come my way!

Sounds fantastic. I sort of envy people who can get a thrill by watching sports. My father is 76, and still goes to every single OSU football game.

I'm not into sports at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm over 40 now. I can't think of any better word to describe my life, than 'boring'. And maybe I'm missing it, but that seems the defacto reality of everyone. We all get up, go to work, come home, and go to bed.

O Lord, my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder
Thy power throughout the universe displayed
Then sings my soul, my Saviour God, to Thee
How great Thou art, how great Thou art

:)

Reactions: Joan Lamb
Upvote 0

Andrew77

The walking accident
Site Supporter
Feb 11, 2018
Ohio
✟138,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
O Lord, my God, when I in awesome wonder
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder
Thy power throughout the universe displayed

:)

A great classic. I grew up singing that at Church camp :)

• Friendly
Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,440.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A great classic. I grew up singing that at Church camp :)

Yes. I saw a common house sparrow the other day chirping away merrily and had a sense of wonder. It's all around us we just need to look. :)

Reactions: Joan Lamb
Upvote 0

Kenyon Ledford

Mar 1, 2019
Parts Unknown
✟15,997.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He might not have meant it so literally. Even death is an adventure. Experiencing crickets putting on a concert can be exciting. Don't overlook the small for the big. Adventure is everywhere and everything. We don't have to be Indiana Jones.

Upvote 0