is jezia in islam meant to oppress the christians and jews ?

elwill

Feb 10, 2008
cairo / egypt
✟16,330.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
1-The jizia (protection tax) was 1.5% while the Zakat (Charity tax compulsory on every Muslim) is 2.5%

2-Zakah is one of the 5 pillars of Islam and it is compulsory on everyone. It is compulsory even on the non-Muslim, this is called Jizya. Jizya does not degrade the non-Muslim people, it actually brings equality. Since the Muslims are obliged to pay Zakah, then why cant non-Muslims pay Jizya? That brings equality between the two.

3- it is not imposed on all Christians and Jews. It is only imposed on the men who have attained puberty. So therefore it is not imposed on the women and children. The tax is also imposed fairly and is not meant to be overburdening.

4-The Jizya tax guarantees the Christians and Jews complete protection under the Islamic state. If an enemy country attacks the Islamic country, the Islamic country has a duty to defend the Christians and Jews and the Christians and Jews are not even obliged to fight!

5-Christians might use Surah 9:29 to show that Muslims must fight them until they pay the Jizya, so this shows discrimination. However, this also applies to the Muslims who do not pay their Zakat! Abu Bakr fought against the Muslims who didn't pay Zakat. So how does this discriminate against the Christians and Jews?

Jmorley88

Aug 22, 2009
✟15,147.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I can see how sometimes the tax works but it is often and a shame to say to put Christians and Jews in their place because it is not only the tax the is enforced but also the many other rules. If you looks at the tax in hisory you see that there are very few example were the tax stays at 1.5% but normal goes up and is normal collected by people who just charge what ever they want. Taxing people and putting rules on people based on there religion does not seem fair or a good idea to me

Upvote 0

Rationalt

Oct 18, 2009
✟3,858.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Married
1-The jizia (protection tax) was 1.5% while the Zakat (Charity tax compulsory on every Muslim) is 2.5%

Completely wrong.Zakat is voluntary while Jizya is by force and by Humiliation.Quran makes it clear that Jizya is to spare the lifes of Christians and jews.

QURAN:
Y: Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger, nor acknowledge the religion of Truth, (even if they are) of the People of the Book, until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

P: Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as
believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah
hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the Religion of Truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low.

S: Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor
do they prohibit what Allah and His Messenger have prohibited, nor
follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the
Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.

2-Zakah is one of the 5 pillars of Islam and it is compulsory on everyone.
Muslim cannot be forced to pay Jizya.Show the proof if it is other wise.

It is compulsory even on the non-Muslim, this is called Jizya.
Explained clearly in quran verse 9:29 quoted above.

Jizya does not degrade the non-Muslim people,

The words are clear in verse 9:29 of Quran.Feel subdued, feal inferior,being in state of subjection is not Degradation??

The Jizya tax guarantees the Christians and Jews complete protection under the Islamic state.

Protection from Attacks By muslims ..read 9:29 quoted above

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
*snip*
Dang!
That sure beats the 30% in US Federal, state, county and city taxes I have to pay!! Sign me up!!! :)

Reactions: humblemuslim
Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For those Muslims here that might be interested, there was this thread on the News and Current events board.

I have no earthly idea why it was started there instead of on the NCR board.
It has gotten pretty "heated" from I can see, and I finally bailed out of it. Peace

News & Current Events - Christian Forums
News & Current Events

http://www.christianforums.com/t7412176-3/
Every Child is Born Muslim

well, who knew?
The Prophet Muhammad said, "No babe is born but upon Fitra (as a Muslim). It is his parents who make him a Jew or a Christian or a Polytheist." (Sahih Muslim, Book 033, Number 6426)

Islam Watch - "Abraham Lincoln the Muslim" by Denis Schulz

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Aesjn

Mar 9, 2008
Tir nam Blath
✟880.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
4-The Jizya tax guarantees the Christians and Jews complete protection under the Islamic state. If an enemy country attacks the Islamic country, the Islamic country has a duty to defend the Christians and Jews and the Christians and Jews are not even obliged to fight!

You try and make this sound so good, the reality is, Christians and Jews are forbidden to be in the military under this system, so there is little chance of them successfully being able to rebel. And the people the Christians and Jews had to worry about were Muslims attacking them - if they didn't submit to Muslim rule. There's nothing nice about this, it's kinda like a husband telling his wife she has to pay him or he'll beat her... actually, that analogy is flawed from the start: The ONLY way Muslims got into non-Muslim societies originally was by Arab Muslims invading them, no Egyptians, Syrians, etc converted before Arabs forced them to, so it's really like a guy taking a woman hostage and telling her she has to pay him and do his work for him or he'll beat her.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dark_Lite

Chewbacha
Feb 14, 2002
✟45,495.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

2-Zakah is one of the 5 pillars of Islam and it is compulsory on everyone. It is compulsory even on the non-Muslim, this is called Jizya. Jizya does not degrade the non-Muslim people, it actually brings equality. Since the Muslims are obliged to pay Zakah, then why cant non-Muslims pay Jizya? That brings equality between the two.

3- it is not imposed on all Christians and Jews. It is only imposed on the men who have attained puberty. So therefore it is not imposed on the women and children. The tax is also imposed fairly and is not meant to be overburdening.

5-Christians might use Surah 9:29 to show that Muslims must fight them until they pay the Jizya, so this shows discrimination. However, this also applies to the Muslims who do not pay their Zakat! Abu Bakr fought against the Muslims who didn't pay Zakat. So how does this discriminate against the Christians and Jews?

Religious equality in Islamic theocratic states is a non-sequitor.

Upvote 0

RMDY

1 John 1:9
Apr 8, 2007
Richmond
Visit site
✟10,946.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives

Granted about the tax laws, for Jesus said to render to ceasar what it ceasars. But muslim countries today currently persecute christians for things like preaching the gospel. Me thinks that Muslims don't mind christians in a way, but hate them preaching the gospel because it is blasphemy to the Muslim (Christians believe Jesus is Son of God for example). And blasphemy under islamic law says that someone must be stoned to death, I think....

Also, it is against the islamic law for people who are muslim to convert to christianity, for this also requires they be stoned/executed/killed for apostizing to something Islam views as blasphamous, I think.

Upvote 0

humblemuslim

I am busy currently. Will be less active soon.
Mar 25, 2005
USA
✟19,528.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Granted about the tax laws, for Jesus said to render to ceasar what it ceasars. But muslim countries today currently persecute christians for things like preaching the gospel. Me thinks that Muslims don't mind christians in a way, but hate them preaching the gospel because it is blasphemy to the Muslim (Christians believe Jesus is Son of God for example). And blasphemy under islamic law says that someone must be stoned to death, I think....

Also, it is against the islamic law for people who are muslim to convert to christianity, for this also requires they be stoned/executed/killed for apostizing to something Islam views as blasphamous, I think.

I do not agree with either of those statements, pending how one defines "Islamic law".

As a muslim, I would not advocate either one, because the Qur'an clearly is against it...

But I can agree there are people out there that follow this practice, though I disagree with it.

Upvote 0

RMDY

1 John 1:9
Apr 8, 2007
Richmond
Visit site
✟10,946.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I do not agree with either of those statements, pending how one defines "Islamic law".

As a muslim, I would not advocate either one, because the Qur'an clearly is against it...

But I can agree there are people out there that follow this practice, though I disagree with it.

It happens today in several Islamic countries.... and does the Muslim book teach that apostasy from islam may be punishable by death?

Is not the belief in the Son of God blasphemy and God having a Son blasphemous to Islam?

Would not preaching that message to muslims constitute comitted blasphemy under Islamic law?

Wouldn't speaking out and preaching against Muhammad and Islam, calling it false teaching and false, be punishable under Islamic law?

Upvote 0

humblemuslim

I am busy currently. Will be less active soon.
Mar 25, 2005
USA
✟19,528.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It happens today in several Islamic countries....and does the Muslim book teach that apostasy from islam may be punishable by death?

Is not the belief in the Son of God blasphemy and God having a Son blasphemous to Islam?

Would not preaching that message to muslims constitute comitted blasphemy under Islamic law?

Wouldn't speaking out and preaching against Muhammad and Islam, calling it false teaching and false, be punishable under Islamic law?

I've already agreed with you that it happens, though again I strongly disagree with this practice.

If by muslim book you mean the Qur'an, the answer is absolutely not.

I have discussed this in the past:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7385214/

The strongest support someone can get for the 'Death to Apostates' will come from Hadith that bluntly contradict the plain and clear teachings in the Qur'an. The very reason I will never endorse such behavior.

Yes. I was not disagreeing with this. I was disagreeing that people believing in this or preaching this constitute a justifiable reason to kill them.

Slander is punishable under secular laws too. Preaching one's beliefs is one thing. Slandering another person's religion is quite another. It should be obvious Christians do not believe in Muhammad or the Qur'an. Some of the things Christians state in regards to this matter are rude and hateful at times. As to whether every such case deserves death, I would not agree. The action must be dealt with on equitable terms. God loves those who are equitable.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This is simply a tax in lieu of performing military service. Anyone who doesn't want to pay the tax can serve instead.

The US offered exactly the same option during the Civil War!

Peace,

Bruce
Whoa! That is interesting. I knew I should have stayed awake in history class :D :blush:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_war

A civil war is a war between organized groups within a single nation state[1], or, less commonly, between two nations created from a formerly-united nation state[2]. The aim of one side may be to take control of the nation or a region, to achieve independence for a region, or to change government policies[1]. It is high-intensity conflict, often involving regular armed forces, that is sustained, organized and large-scale. Civil wars result in large numbers of casualties and the consumption of large resources. [3]

Upvote 0

benmaarof

Feb 5, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
✟16,643.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Jizya & Zakat are basically taxes.

For a country to operate, money is needed. Policemen & judges need to be paid to protect citizens (muslims & non muslims) from criminal elements. Garbagemen & public health workers needs to be paid to keep those citizens (Muslims & Non-muslims) healthy. Infrastructure works needs to be carried out and maintained and that costs money.

All of those above, and plus some other things all needs money. Why shouldn't non-Muslims contribute (jizya) just like the Muslims do with their zakat to pay for all those things? It's for their own mutual benefit by the way.

It would not be fair for only Muslims to contribute to the government's coffers while the Non-Muslims are basically freeloading on those amneties.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

benmaarof

Feb 5, 2005
Kuala Lumpur
✟16,643.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
The problem is that it isn't a tax specifically designed for contributing to the well-being of society. It's a tax for being of a different religion.
Where does it go to? How should judges & garbagemen be paid? Where would the money come from?

Upvote 0