Not open for further replies.

Lavone

Jul 14, 2011
✟15,196.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I was talking with my cousin last weekend and he asked me a question about who did I think Jesus was. Now my entire life I thought Jesus was God. The father son and holy spirit. I understand their separate. I do go to church read the bible not as much as I should but usually everyday. I go to bible study. Did I miss something, lol.

Now my cousin who has read the bible 3 times and more in the word than I am. But some reason that doesn't sound right. He said Jesus is less then God. I don't think I've ever heard a christian say Jesus is not God. Did I miss something big. Does the bible preach that? I mean I know Jesus pointed to the father all the time. I'm not interested in opinions if possible just what the word says. Don't tell me my cousin went off the end. I never heard Jesus was less then God. I wrote Father, Jesus and Holy Spirit and drew a circle around all 3 and wrote God. And I told him thats what I believe. He wrote Father=Holy Spirit drew a circle and called that God wrote Jesus outside and drew a box over everything and wrote Godhead. I was baffled. I believed he for a little bit but I then went back to my old thinking.

I think I he is wrong. He is like the only other young person in the family that is into God. I can't believe he said Jesus isn't God or maybe I'm wrong. Does the bible teach Jesus is less then God. I mean I know Jesus said he can't do nothing without the father but I thought God came down as JEsus. I believe in all 3 but as one God. He used like a dozen verse most were from John. But All I heard was Jesus saying he was separate from the father. And I already knew that. Or does that mean he is different not God.

I am not strong enough in the word to convince him that he is wrong. I can't believe that. Am I wrong? Jesus is not God could you please provide clear scripture that says Jesus is not God or Jesus saying he is not God or less then God. I went to Catholic school my entire life so maybe they rotted my brain, lol. I've always gone to a baptist church. Thanks

Feb 3, 2011
✟8,272.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Gospel of John, 1:1, note "the Word was God". And then verse 14, note "And the Word became flesh".

And there is 1st Tim. 3:16, note "God was manifest in the flesh".

And then of course the name "Immanuel", Isa. 7:14, and Matt. 1:22,23, which means "God with us."

That are some verses that are clear enough. But nowadays people interpret on their own. God Bless.

Upvote 0

desmalia

sounds like somebody's got a case of the mondays
Sep 29, 2006
Canada
Visit site
✟18,712.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You might find this little graphic about the Trinity helpful:
(Sorry it's so big on this post!)

Trinity_LowRes.jpg

Upvote 0

Lavone

Jul 14, 2011
✟15,196.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Yes thank you God bless. What threw me off was the fact my cousin is really into the word. But that didn't make sense. If this was a random person then I would have said Jesus is God. God I hope he was just testing me or joking. I am utterly amazed. This guy studies the bible and if he could say something like that that scares me.

I'm scared back into the word, lol. That didn't not sound right at all.

Upvote 0

Bella Vita

Sailor in the U.S.N
May 18, 2011
✟10,239.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh yes he was and he tells us in scripture he was all the time. Jesus speaks in respect to the father because he was sent by the father and he is doing the fathers work. But he never speaks of himself as lower or unequal to the father. I don't know about you but these scriptures are pretty clear cut he calls himself God many many times...

John 14:7-10 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him." Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us." Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, `Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you are not just my own. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.

John 10:30 "I and the Father are one."

John 14:11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the miracles themselves.

John 10:37-38 Do not believe me unless I do what my Father does. But if I do it, even though you do not believe me, believe the miracles, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father."

John 17:5 And now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I had with you before the world began.

John 17:10 [Speaking to the Father] All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them.

John 17:11 I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name--the name you gave me--so that they may be one as we are one.

Upvote 0

phoenixdem

Nov 28, 2010
South Dakota
✟9,080.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's difficult to believe that someone has carefully studied the Scriptures and come to the conclusion that Jesus isn't God. There are many Scriptures that tell the reader that Christ is God and part of the Holy Trinity. One God in the form of the Holy Trinity is part of Baptist theology and teachings. The Scriptures tell us that Christ existed before the earth was formed and in fact, without christ, nothing was made that was made. There are verses in which Christ referenced the Father as being God, when He walked the earth as the God/Man and Christ said, "I and the Father are one." There are references in the Old Testament about Christ. One notable one in the Book of Psalms is this,

2:6 Yet have I set my king upon my holy hill of Zion.​
2:7 I will declare the decree: the LORD hath said unto me, Thou art
my Son; this day have I begotten thee.

2:8 Ask of me, and I shall give thee the heathen for thine inheritance,
and the uttermost parts of the earth for thy possession.

2:9 Thou shalt break them with a rod of iron; thou shalt dash them in
pieces like a potter’s vessel.

2:10 Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the
earth.

2:11 Serve the LORD with fear, and rejoice with trembling.

2:12 Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when
his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their​
trust in him.

I suppose that we can do a Bible Study on this one thing. There is ample supporting documentation in the Scriptures that would allow such a thing.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,790,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has undergone a clean up. As a reminder, the site rules include:

● Do not promote or proselytize religious beliefs or religions (including Satanism or Occultism) other than Christianity. For the purpose of these rules, Christianity is defined by Christian Forums' Statement of Faith.

Congregational Forum Restrictions, Christian Only Forums, and Off-Topic posts
Do not teach or debate in any Congregational Forum unless you are truly a member and share its core beliefs and teachings. Questions and fellowship are allowed, proselytizing is not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi zeleste,

No, I don't ignore any Scripture. I'm just satisfied to call and understand Jesus just as God does. "This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased." Therefore, Jesus is God's Son. That's all I feel is necessary for me to understand about his being.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It is my understanding that Jesus is equated unto God because of the Holy Spirit. It's like Jesus was completely different from every other man because He did not have his own spirit (as we do), but completely possessed the Holy Spirit in place of a human spirit. I do see them separately, because Christ is always referred to as the Son of God, and not God [the Father] Himself. They are the exact same Spirit though and cannot be separated because of this. That's how I understand the Trinity anyway. The illustration above is a great example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was why the chief priest and the pharisees took Jesus to Pilate to be killed, because Jesus said clearly that he was God. This would be complete blasphemy if it was not true:

(Matthew 26:64) The high priest said to him, "I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God." "Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied. "But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven." Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, "He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy.

(Luke 22:70) They all asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" He replied, "You are right in saying I am." Then they said, "Why do we need any more testimony? We have heard it from his own lips."

(Mark 14:62) But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed God?" "I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven." The high priest tore his clothes. "Why do we need any more witnesses?" he asked. "You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?" They all condemned him as worthy of death.

The fact that the High Priest tore his robes, an illegal act under the law of Moses also shows the gravity of what Jesus had said. From his own lips Jesus said who he is.

(John 5:18) For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

:)

Upvote 0
Z

Zeleste

Hi zeleste,

No, I don't ignore any Scripture. I'm just satisfied to call and understand Jesus just as God does. "This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased." Therefore, Jesus is God's Son. That's all I feel is necessary for me to understand about his being.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Yes... and the Son of God was inferior to the angels, equal to men. That is the full picture of the person of Christ.

Upvote 0
Z

Zeleste

It is my understanding that Jesus is equated unto God because of the Holy Spirit. It's like Jesus was completely different from every other man because He did not have his own spirit (as we do), but completely possessed the Holy Spirit in place of a human spirit. I do see them separately, because Christ is always referred to as the Son of God, and not God [the Father] Himself. They are the exact same Spirit though and cannot be separated because of this. That's how I understand the Trinity anyway. The illustration above is a great example.

Jesus was not completely different from every man, but completely equated unto men.

Upvote 0
Z

Zeleste

It was why the chief priest and the pharisees took Jesus to Pilate to be killed, because Jesus said clearly that he was God. This would be complete blasphemy if it was not true:

(Matthew 26:64) The high priest said to him, "I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Christ, the Son of God." "Yes, it is as you say," Jesus replied. "But I say to all of you: In the future you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven." Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, "He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy.

(Luke 22:70) They all asked, "Are you then the Son of God?" He replied, "You are right in saying I am." Then they said, "Why do we need any more testimony? We have heard it from his own lips."

(Mark 14:62) But Jesus remained silent and gave no answer. Again the high priest asked him, "Are you the Christ, the Son of the Blessed God?" "I am," said Jesus. "And you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven." The high priest tore his clothes. "Why do we need any more witnesses?" he asked. "You have heard the blasphemy. What do you think?" They all condemned him as worthy of death.

The fact that the High Priest tore his robes, an illegal act under the law of Moses also shows the gravity of what Jesus had said. From his own lips Jesus said who he is.

(John 5:18) For this reason therefore the Jews were seeking all the more to kill Him, because He not only was breaking the Sabbath, but also was calling God His own Father, making Himself equal with God.

Christ is God, and for a short time (the years of encarnation as Jesus) he emtyed himself and was made inferior to the angels, equal to men.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Christ is God, and for a short time (the years of encarnation as Jesus) he emtyed himself and was made inferior to the angels, equal to men.

From reading the gospels it would seem that Christ was in no way inferior to angels and in every way superior to man.

Angels attended him, many legions of angels were at his disposal. And he lived without sin.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.